• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reosymes, no matter how handsome it may be, or how great a bargain its price, if a sport coat or suit jacket doesn't fit, I pass on it. Because, ultimately, proper fit trumps all.

Sure, a size 44 could be "fixed" to fit a size 42 person. But to do it well would involve a fair amount of money, and finding a tailor more skilled than most. ("Most" are good enough to cuff pants or shorten sleeves. This is a whole 'nother matter.) And even then, it's just not likely to be worth it.

If the sport coat's that great, buy it and put it up for sale on eBay. In your listing, emphasize its perfect condition and so forth. Then take whatever profit you made off of it, and buy yourself a sport coat that's your correct size, and one which doesn't seem a little long. 42L is a common size; you'll have no difficulty finding plenty of wonderful previously owned sport coats that fit you.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you already have a competent tailor that you work with? the tailor will be the best person to ask
i have a good alteration tailor that i have been working with for 2.5 years now and he knows how i like my jacket and pants to fit
and he tells me whether something is possible for him or not
and whether he is confident about the results

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had anything done from a tailor beyond hemming pants. I'll do a search on the forums for tailors in my area (Orange county). I'm in no hurry, though. Don't need to wear this any time soon (finishing grad school in an year or so).

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other option, since you have time, is to gain a lot of weight
enough to fill out the 44 jacket
problem solved :slayer:

Xtra

Reaction score
Anyone got a link to a retailer which carries this jacket?

It's a RLPL sheepskin (shearling?) jacket, sported by MoL around the forums. Was thinking of asking Luxire to do something similar, but it would be nice to have more pictures of it. I searched MoLs website but couldn't find it there.

TKeaten

Reaction score
Morning, gents.

First post, and I just stumbled on this forum yesterday while deciding to make the plunge into style. There are... a lot of rules to keep in mind, and as such I figured my best bet would be to ask if I was on the right track before taking the dive on a purchase.

At the moment, I don't have any of my own suits. I have some that have been passed down, they're in decent shape, but, well, they're old and don't fit right. All around not working. Since this is my first purchase and first legitimate suit, I want to make sure its something that will be functional for a long time, in a lot of situations, as it will be my go-to for a while until I'm able to build up some good income for more.

I've noted a couple things - Navy/Charcoal is the standard, with some back-and-forth on the shoe matches, but most tend to agree with darker browns / burgundy. I've seen some really good things about Benjamin Sartorial, so I'm hoping to go with him for the suit. That said, he has no Charcoal in my size (44R), only Gunmetal, so I'm leaning toward Navy.

Suits I'm looking at:
http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-13057/Benjamin-Sartorial-Suit-cln--43R-fdsh-44R/Detail
http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-4932/Benjamin-Sartorial-Suit-cln--44R/Detail

Shoes I'm looking at:
http://bostonian.clarksusa.com/eng/product/reserve/28756
http://bostonian.clarksusa.com/eng/product/andover/25408

Which suit would be best for a first-purchase? Are these shoes considered decent (I'm not finding as much info on that end)? Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to get things purchased quickly.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never had anything done from a tailor beyond hemming pants. I'll do a search on the forums for tailors in my area (Orange county). I'm in no hurry, though. Don't need to wear this any time soon (finishing grad school in an year or so).

You took the wrong message from that post, especially given your complete lack of knowledge about the local tailors. It will end in tears and cost you a minimum of a hundred bucks. Buy the coat, sell it on e-bay, get one in the right size.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double post

Last edited:

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I AM HAVING A BAD TIE DAY! Ignore the knot, just tell me the shirt and the tie combo. I think this tie is just butt ugly!!!!

I don't think the tie is ugly. I think you've potentially gone with the wrong color combination. Even though grey is a neutral and can go with most colors, I think a lighter blue shirt (solid) would look great with this tie as the tie is more along the lines of pink / burgundy. Check out my blog http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com for advice on how to mix and match ties with respect to both color and pattern.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Morning, gents.

First post, and I just stumbled on this forum yesterday while deciding to make the plunge into style.  There are... a lot of rules to keep in mind, and as such I figured my best bet would be to ask if I was on the right track before taking the dive on a purchase.

At the moment, I don't have any of my own suits.  I have some that have been passed down, they're in decent shape, but, well, they're old and don't fit right.  All around not working.  Since this is my first purchase and first legitimate suit, I want to make sure its something that will be functional for a long time, in a lot of situations, as it will be my go-to for a while until I'm able to build up some good income for more.

I've noted a couple things - Navy/Charcoal is the standard, with some back-and-forth on the shoe matches, but most tend to agree with darker browns / burgundy.  I've seen some really good things about Benjamin Sartorial, so I'm hoping to go with him for the suit.  That said, he has no Charcoal in my size (44R), only Gunmetal, so I'm leaning toward Navy.

Suits I'm looking at:
http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-13057/Benjamin-Sartorial-Suit-cln--43R-fdsh-44R/Detail
http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-4932/Benjamin-Sartorial-Suit-cln--44R/Detail

Shoes I'm looking at:
http://bostonian.clarksusa.com/eng/product/reserve/28756
http://bostonian.clarksusa.com/eng/product/andover/25408

Which suit would be best for a first-purchase?  Are these shoes considered decent (I'm not finding as much info on that end)?  Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to get things purchased quickly.

Go with the solid navy suit.

For the shoes, Bostonian are garbage. Look for some Allen Edmonds seconds. Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand, or McAllister. They are a bit more pricey than those Bostonians, but will last much, much longer.

Last edited:

TKeaten

Reaction score
Go with the solid navy suit.

For the shoes, Bostonian are garbage. Look for some Allen Edmonds seconds. Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand, or McAllister. They are a bit more pricey than those Bostonians, but will last much, much longer.

Apologies for being woefully ignorant on this stuff, but hey, I need to learn somewhere.

The solid suit is listed as "Dark Navy" - that's still going to function as the go-to Navy? And on the shoes, for a "Dark Navy," would dark brown or burgundy make a better compliment?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apologies for being woefully ignorant on this stuff, but hey, I need to learn somewhere.

The solid suit is listed as "Dark Navy" - that's still going to function as the go-to Navy?  And on the shoes, for a "Dark Navy," would dark brown or burgundy make a better compliment?

Yeah, the first suit is fine, that's a classic navy blue.

I'd go with dark brown over burgundy for the shoes--burgundy tends to look weird outside of shell cordovan.

Dan2738

Reaction score
Hey guys. I made a thread for this, but received no responses. So here I am.

Got my Black Lapel Navy Suit today, 3.5 weeks after ordering. This is a MTM site like Indochino, except Black Lapel's are half canvassed and the fabric may be of slightly higher quality. This is a traditional navy suit for financial office environment. I ordered the tailored cut (between slim and traditional). I have 30 days to get $75 worth of alterations which will be covered by Black Lapel. The company has been nothing but fantastic so far. I got my original measurements by measuring myself three separate times, with the help of a tailor and two friends. Please ignore tie, shirt, belt, and rumpling/creases. Tie is okay, shirt is too big in most measurements, and belt is bad. Suit appears rumpled/creased because it just came out of the box.

I have a great tailor to go to and while I think that largely the fit of this is nearly perfect, I suspect a few minor alterations could be made to make it perfect. Here are a few of my own critiques:
  1. Sleeves. I can't tell whether my shirt sleeves should be longer, or if the suit sleeves should be shorter. Either way, I know that a bit of the shirt sleeve should be showing, and it is not at all.
  2. I wanted the pants to have a single, clean break. I think they could be made just a bit shorter.
  3. The shoulders feel great, but the chest could be made a little more form fitting.

Please give more advice, and thanks in advance. Here are way too many pictures.

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/E4OVE

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads