1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Such as pink linen. I had a meeting (granted, not a high stakes anything, just kind of a get to know you) with one of the better known lawyers in the city I was in at the time. He showed up in madras shorts, a pink linen shirt, and flip flops. Having your name on the building helps. His firm wasn't particularly conservative, but still.

1 person likes this.
  2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Yup. Once you achieve a certain level of success, eccentricities (including, but not limited to, those involving clothing) simply become charming and colorful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Bojac86

Bojac86 New Member

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Light blue OBCD/spread collar shirt, navy blazer, grey slacks, burgundy captoe oxfords, and a navy/grey suit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. sylvyrravyn

sylvyrravyn Member

I got a suit from Hugo Boss and after they took the waist in a weird fold formed at the front of the crotch. I brought this up with the tailor there and they said that it was normal. However when I look at it, it reminds me of a camel toe... Should I complain more and have them fix it or should I try to return/exchange it?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Probably worthy of a thread of its own, and not simply inclusion in this one.

1 person likes this.
  7. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  8. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

No, that's not normal. They're bullshitting you and trying to get out of doing the work it takes to fix it. Take it back and get it fixed (and see if you can let out the seat; those pockets are bulging something fierce).

1 person likes this.
  9. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Edited.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  10. Kira

Kira Senior member

Is there anything practical in wearing lightly colored ties like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mco543

mco543 Senior member

Are notch lapel double breasted suits coming into style? I've been seeing them more and more often and in ads from Emporio Armani lately. I ask because I have an old English bespoke one I thrifted some months ago and haven't yet worn it due to fearing it would look absurd and horribly outdated.

Thanks

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

13. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Notch lapel double breasted suits are never a good idea. In style or out of style, they look lacking unless the button stance is high enough to make peak lapels not an option. In which case they also look ridiculous if the button stance is too wide. If your old English bespoke one has an extra high closure, it's possible that you might be able to wear it, but the chances of it looking good are very slim. Notch lapel double breasted with low, wide button stance is one of the signature bad ideas from the 1980s. Whether it's wearable or not, notch lapel double breasted is not a good idea for serious meetings.

1 person likes this.
  14. Poleng

Poleng Member

Does all Burberry clothing have the Burberry check?

I have a Burberrys coat, which I believe to be quite old. As it is labelled 'Burberrys' will post pictures.

But my friend who likes to think he is an expert says its a fake because it doesn't have the Burberry check.

Also, does anyone know what this is worth?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ nope just looks old. Probably legit.

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Stinking fake. It's "Burberry", not "Burberrys".

Although your friend is an idiot, of course not all their designs are covered in their signature checks. Though they do tend to hide a little in their plainer items too e.g. under the collar or in the lining.

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

What? That's comically wrong. Plenty of Burberry stuff has a "Burberrys" logo. Just means it's older, though the change where they dropped the s is still pretty recent. The vast, vast majority of vintage Burberry stuff out there is going to be labeled "Burberrys".

And yes, his friend is an idiot. Not everything is going to have the check, and the check is very common on fake stuff anyway. And no fake is going to have those coded order tags. Hell, if you contact Burberry, they may even be able to look it up and tell you when it was made.

2 people like this.
  18. mimo

mimo Senior member

I am glad to have amused you; I'm sure you're right. :)

19. wojt

wojt Senior member

Burberry's was used until 1999, can be real just old

1 person likes this.
  20. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

^I'd put money on that being genuine. Stuff like that turns up in charity and vintage shops all the time, and I think it's only relatively recently that they dropped the 's' from the brand name.

And if you look closely, you can see 'Prorsum' on the knight's flag, which of course they still use.