1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bklyndoc12

bklyndoc12 Active Member

Recently got a good deal on these OTR pants from GANT. I am concerned about the fit, specifically in the seat. I want to know if these are workable before I hem them. I would greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Is there any difference if fit between suits and sports jackets?

I.e. could i provide a tailor with measurements for my best fitting suit to copy for an SC and some trousers and that would work out ok? or should jacket be longer/shorter/looser fit/etc?

3. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

What do you call shirts with a contrasting strip where the buttons are (on bottom strip you only see it unbuttoned)? What is the consensus on this look? Is it strictly casual? Does it usually go with contrasting buttons? What are good color combinations?

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

BL: stick with the links and square you had in mind, and the white shirt. I'm thinking, though, that you need some more visual interest somewhere. I guess adding a flower will make a difference, but how about a nice tie pin/bar too?

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

:crackup:

6. punit12

punit12 Active Member

What colour and type of pants could I wear with this sport coat? I am planning on wearing it with a shirt/tie/pocket square combo to the Chester racecourse in June, would this be acceptable? Thank you! (The shirt/tie combo in the photo is from the seller, not my own.)

[​IMG]

7. All Tatters

All Tatters Senior member

Warm and earthy khaki colour I would say, possibly even brown or terra cotta but that's more risqué.

1 person likes this.
  8. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mimo. I'm actually starting to lean towards looking for a different tie (one with a little more character -- but still wedding-appropriate). Any suggestions as to where I should look?

9. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://shop.hfwltd.com/media/pieces/34505.jpg

Opinions on these for a first autumn/winter sport jacket. Interested in any useful comments on warmth, versatility, godawfulness... First 3 are 300gm 90/10 wool/cashmere from Drapers. Felt very nice and soft with a little fuzz. 4th is 340g s120s from Hunt and Winterbotham. I haven't been able to see a swatch for it though but my tailor can order it in. fabrics are darker than they look as my iphone washes out the color a fair bit

I looked into tweed and thought it might be too heavy for Australian climate.

Any other suggestion welcome. feeling a little out of my depth for winter clothing.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  10. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just found out that my great-grandfather had a diamond stickpin that I can use. I like the general concept (of incorporating a family heirloom into my wardrobe), but have no idea to wear it. Any sense as to how something like that would look as part of my outfit? I assume you wear this like a tie bar?

11. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

The following oddly-designed PRL loafers (latex combat sole, furry lining??) are listed on ebay. I usually wear AE balmorals, but need something a bit more relaxed. YAY or NAY?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Has anyone ever had good luck having shoes stretched? I have a pair of gorgeous suede captoe shoes that have the best suede I've ever felt but the toebox is slightly too small. Has anyone had good luck getting the toebox stretched? I'm probably returning these otherwise.

Thanks!

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Looks like a great fall/winter shoe.

14. Naphatw

Naphatw Member

I am looking to buy some quality shirting fabrics online. So I can go to my tailor and do CTM.

Can anyone recommend me some websites?

I also want to know how much fabrics do I need in order to make one shirt (I usually wear size S for every brand).

Thank you for your advice [​IMG]

15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Decent looking thread that covers your question:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/181380/shirting-fabric-is-acorn-still-the-best-bet

16. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for combinations with this jacket:

Initial thoughts are that a pink or light blue shirt, and stone, light grey or beige trousers would work. Perhaps add a pocket square with a slight pattern, or just plain white or light blue.

Jacket material is 86% wool and 14% silk.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  17. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I'm looking for some jacketing fabric in either brown glen check/pow or brown/burgundy gun club or houndstooth Around the 350-400gm mark. Anyone got suggestions wher I can find such stuff?
    I've seen a couple really nice examples in the fox and John Foster books but I'm only looking to spend about $100-125 per meter.

18. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

I have two summer events (one a wedding, the other my 20 yr hs reunion) I'll be attending. One on the north shore of long island and one in nj, both at waterside dining establishments. Given the season and location of both I want to wear cream colored wool trousers, and a blue odd jacket. My question is shirt and tie. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a blue Sheppard check and now I've got one. My concern is how it will show against a light blue shirt. I didon't like the idea of white shirt and cream trousers. Any thoughts?

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Is it reasonable to wear a shorter sportcoat in the summer? I'm thinking of buying a seersucker sc that's 1-1.5 inches shorter than what I usually wear.

20. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

It shall cover your p00p3r.