1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Don't love any of them. I'd rank them 3,4,2,1 with the top 2 the only ones I'd wear. Purple is a difficult color, needs to be the right shade to not look cheap and that purple doesn't make the cut.

1 person likes this.
  2. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Thanks for the input gents. I already have a purple tie and don't think I would get the use from a second one. I also already have something similar to 4, so perhaps 3 is the keeper :)

3. vafan13

vafan13 Active Member

Another wedding question...

Going with non-uniform navy suits if someone ends up in something like either of the below will that be OK or do I at least need to keep them all in more plain navy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. E TF

E TF Senior member

The general rule is that stripes are considered too business-like for a wedding. The first one, a glen check, would be great though.

5. vafan13

vafan13 Active Member

Wonderful, thank you! If two people end up in the same suit (only so many lower priced navy suits out there) will that make it look odd or do I just need to separate them in the lineup?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very nice ties...compliments

7. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Absolutely irrelevant. You're overthinking this.

9. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Has anyone here ever participated in the "tweed run" cycling events? Are the participants in the following photos wearing a special capri style suit pant or are they tucking their suit pants into their socks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

@Kensington looks like they are wearing breeks / plus fours?

1 person likes this.
  11. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Thanks, I didn't even know that such a pant existed. Is that a British thing? I've never seen those sold in the states in "preppy" or trad stores.

Is there any alternative for cycling with a suit? I've done it on occasion and would hate to have chain greasy stain my suit pants. Would tucking into socks also work? It seems like that would make the lower leg really wrinkly and unsightly once removed.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  12. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Yes, breeks are a British or originally Scottish thing, I think... Mainly worn for field sports such as shooting etc.

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

Pulling your socks up like that over normal trousers will leave them wrinkled. Bicycle clips keep your trousers out the way without getting them quite as wrinkled. Or you could get a bike with a guard over the chain like Dutch PM Mark Rutte -

[​IMG]

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Breeches/knickerbockers are the ones that fasten over the top of the socks, and did not persist much past the 19th century, and were all but extinct by the end of the first world war. Plus fours are those that are tucked into the socks, worn by the country gentlman for sport/shooting. The latter lasted as commonplace well into the 20th century, and can be seen today, in the legs of purists.

15. E TF

E TF Senior member

They're still worn shooting today, and are usually called breeks by those that sell them.

I always thought plus 4s went four inches below your knee, plus 2s went two inches.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ At first glance I thought that last one was Stephen Colbert! :happy:

1 person likes this.
  17. Cheuk

Cheuk Active Member

I acquired some shell cordovan vintage Florsheims in very good shape, however the shoes are very shiny, almost looking plasticky. They are v-cleat Royal Imperials and clearly leather. Any ideas on why this is, how to fix it?

18. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

What do you think my US shoe size is ?
    UK 11 Loake 026 G last is close to a perfect fit for me.
    What would that be in Allen Edmonds ? 11.5 or 12 ? E, EE or EEE ?

19. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Can anyone comment on the quality of Sam hober v Vanda ties? I currently only have Vanda which I love but have seen a lot of positive comments on Hober. My tie preferences lead to Hober's costing a out the same or a little more though so the 'value for money' argument doesn't work for me.

20. Saqer

Saqer New Member

Hello,

I've been lurking for the last several months and need some advice as I'm getting married in 3 weeks and don't have a tuxedo! I've rented from Men's Warehouse before but want to keep the tuxedo I get married in. I know someone that can get me a Vinci tuxedo at cost but they look like they're lower end material http://www.vincisuits.com. I have a budget of maybe $500 with some leeway. Any recommendations on where I can go to get something that looks nice and will last for a while? I live in a major metropolitan with access to most major clothing retailers and designers.

Thanks