1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want dressier chinos or khakis, you might want to look at bb or check what the waywrn thread wearing.

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

JCrew trousers are great for the price, even if it may seem somewhat expensive. The fit is classic and modern at the same time.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. ats200

ats200 Active Member

I wish i had pictures from my photographer to post but my wedding was last week and i followed the advice to not have my groomsmen match. We had varying shades of light grey which maybe was more subtle than blues but it looked awesome. I pulled it together by having everyone wear the same tie and pocket square aside from myself, I was slightly different. We had several compliments on the wardrobe.

The bridesmaids wore different dresses all in the same tone of "blush" which was the color of the pocket squares.

4. ats200

ats200 Active Member

J Crew outlet prices are really comparable if you don't care that it's outlet stuff. The fit seems to be the same.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Take the old shirt, soak it overnight in a strong concentration of oxi-clean and hot water. Then wash it normally. Odds are, it won't look so dingy afterwards.

6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

That's how I got it from yellow to ecru.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm seriously thinking about picking up some stuff from the outlet. The quality is slightly worse though, but I'm not sure if I'd really notice, especially for summer chinos.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

In that case, you may want to try soaking with White-brite. It's a little more on the dangerous industrial chemical end of things, but it's effective. Also the only stuff I've ever found that can actually remove dye transfer stains, even for colors, though it will lighten them a bit if you're not careful.

9. mikael3

mikael3 New Member

Has anyone ever replaced the bow on formal pumps?

I have a pair with good looking leather but a sad-looking, faded bow on one. If both bows looked bad, it might not be so noticeable; but one bow is blacker than the other.

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

The black tie thread might produce more responses. My inclination would be to have a cobbler do it. One experienced with pumps.

11. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Which brands are the European/British equivalent of Ralph Lauren/Brooks Brothers?

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

There's an Italian retailer named Boggi that may be considered their version of Brooks Brothers.

For a Ralph Lauren equivalent? I guess Caruso? I think Caruso makes, or made, stuff for Ralph Lauren.

13. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

anyone know when and where DEN IM is gonna be released?

14. KCKing

KCKing Member

This is a tough question, tougher than you may think.

Brooks Brothers is a quintessential American brand. They invented the OCBD. So, depending on which country you're talking about (I'm not sure there would be one for all of Europe), you'd need to think of some brand that truly represents that country's sartorial heritage.

If you're just looking for a European brand that makes clothes that look similar to Brooks Brothers, I'm sure it's not hard to find some companies that make OCBDs, sweaters, suits, etc. i.e. more traditionally-skewed menswear.

15. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Picked up four Turnbull & Asser ties on heavy discount. Thinking of flipping, returning three and keeping one. Any thoughts on which, if any to keep? I think im swaying towards the far right as this would be the most versatile?
    [​IMG]

16. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

I know about Boggi. Can Boggi be compared to BB in terms of quality?

Doesn't Caruso just make suits and jackets? Yeah, Caruso makes some (or all of the) Purple Label suits.

17. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Façonnable?

18. Louys

Louys Senior member

Hey all,

I've been thinking about getting a pair of red wings. Is there any retailer that's known to sell them at discount on occasion? Thanks in advance.

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

2,3, and 4 are all quite versatile. 1 is a little less so, but still a very nice looking tie IMO. If limited to one, I would choose either 2 or 3, but which one is best for you depends on what ties you have now and if one fills a gap in your tie wardrobe. I have a brooks tie very similar to 2 that gets a lot of wear, if you don't have much in purple, it can be a very nice color.

2 people like this.
  20. intensanity

intensanity Senior member

What happened to the Saddleback thread?