1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I wear it exclusively with a tie, I only have one white shirt with it but will definitely consider getting more. Most non-SFers will even notice any difference between a club collar and normal collar. To me at least it's not costume-y, just adds a bit of variation to the wardrobe.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

While the practice of putting bridesmaids in matching dresses goes back a fair number of years,the notion that groomsmen must wear identical suits is a relatively new one.

If you look at wedding photos from decades past, you will routinely see groomsmen wearing non-uniform navy suits, grey suits, tuxedos, etc.

And it will not look odd. It will look perfectly fine.

(Nor have I ever heard of anyone looking at 25 year old wedding photos, and bemoaning the fact that the groomsmen were in non-identical clothing.)

1 person likes this.
  3. vafan13

vafan13 Active Member

Thank you!

And thank you to Veremund as well

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Hey guys, I've got a few questions for a friend, hope you can help.

My friend is quite a small stature and would like something that can help achieve a more masculine look and avoid looking like a schoolboy. I suggested peak lapels and double breasted suits/blazers. Good ideas?

Additionally they're thinking of getting some suits in glenplaid but they're also just starting to expand their wardrobe. Do you think glen plaid db suit jackets in dark blue and light gray/dark gray are appropriate to wear as separates.

The general idea is that glenplaid is conservative enough for suits but also patterned in a way that I think allows a suit jacket to be worn as a sportscoat, but I'm not sure if this extends to double breasted ones. Perhaps it's best to go with sb suit worn as separate?

5. TM79

TM79 Senior member

DB stuff usually has wider lapels - I think that would only exaggerate a slender frame and make it look even more slight.

I also dislike DB as an odd jacket but you'll hear other opinions about that.

It's too blogger #menswear for my eyes. I think as a picture on the internet it's meh. I think in real life it's worse than meh.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Oh to add they'd be getting it bespoke so it's fairly customisable wrt lapel sizes and such. I was under the impression that peak lapels often broaden the shoulders visually.

Also they are an academic not really white collar so I think they can get away with slight fashion forwardness/country-ness and what not.

7. sleeppopotamus

sleeppopotamus Member

Many thanks to all three of you for the replies. That photo looks great. I saw this type of collar described in a book where it seemed so unexpected and beautiful, but wasn't sure how it would play out in real life. I think I will give it a shot.

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

To all too many people, someone in peak lapels and double breasted suits/blazers will look like a fashion dandy. Which isn't normally what a small man seeking to come across as more masculine is after.

I'm not going to debate whether simply wearing a double-breasted blazer should elicit such a reaction. I'm just noting that in many cases it does. Heck, to a significant segment of the population, anything better than jeans and a t-shirt is viewed with suspicion. That's just the reality of our times. And even many of those people who think nothing of seeing a man in a suit, will consider peak lapels and double-breasted jackets as being somewhat out of the mainstream - and ultimately, this isn't likely to take your friend where he wants to go.

9. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  10. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks for your reply. When I say masculine I think they mean a different kind from masculine in the modern/bro sense. They just don't want to be read as feminine/female. I think they're generally fine with being seen as a dandy. They're a Shakespeare PhD in Cambridge so like it's about as suitable as it gets I think.

Their situation aside what do you think of glenplaid DB blazer/SCs in general? Is that a faux pas?

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Extra question for myself. Thoughts on blazer-suit with metallic buttons? Think of getting it in a green/olive hopsack that I can wear as separates (with gray flannel, brown linen, etc). I really like the idea of a warmish green hopsack blazer with mahogany belt/shoes, and think gold buttons would work well, but I wonder if gold buttons would make it strange to wear as a suit?

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yes, I think it's strange to have metallic buttons for a suit. You can get a suit where the jacket is sport coat-able without those buttons.

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Yeah, the metal buttons on suits are like the worst of the early '70s.

14. acecow

acecow Senior member

The lesser of two evils would be to buy a new shirt. I know that what I said doesn't make sense, but you should still do it. In the meantime wear the yellowed shirt with suits and the roll-up the sleeves on the other one in summer with casual linen or cotton pants.

15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I was able to stretch the sleeves. :)

16. sleeppopotamus

sleeppopotamus Member

What makes a suit jacket sport coat-able? I don't understand why every jacket couldn't be worn separately, except maybe business stripes.

17. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

18. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

can i do better (in the same price range) than dockers d1/d2 khakis for business casual?

i have a few pairs and they actually seem pretty decent.

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Their stuff is good for the price and is relatively inexpensive which is good. I tend to like J crew stuff a lot more though. The fits are better for me, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

20. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

thanks, RTC. i do like J Crew as well but have never tried their chinos/khakis. (and they are usually pricier than dockers)

maybe ill give em a whirl. or, as you stated, stick with dockers.