• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah, those are definitely going to look like orphaned suit pants. Sorry.

You might, *maybe* be able to use them very casually--OCBD and sweater kinda deal--but definitely not with a SC.

Exactly. Try a white button down and a navy cardigan, or a light blue shirt and a burgundy or brownish cardigan. Probably without a tie. With a cravat if you're really brave. :)

E TF

Reaction score
^^
Spoo wears glen check trousers with a navy blazer from time to time -

I think that looks quite good myself. I mean, if it works with a navy cardigan, why not a navy sc?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That example works decently--like I said, I'm sure there is a way to do it well. This is probably pretty much it--large, bold striped shirt to 1) not clash with the pents, 2) to keep the eye from being drawn downwards.

Problem is, this is a very, very loud look, that most people probably couldn't pull off, and even if they can, they probably can't wear it very often. And frankly, I don't think its a particularly good look. It works, but I certainly wouldn't go trying to replicate this.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Also, the trousers in question perhaps louder than Spoo's. Also also, I didn't like that much anyway. ;)

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That example works decently--like I said, I'm sure there is a way to do it well. This is probably pretty much it--large, bold striped shirt to 1) not clash with the pents, 2) to keep the eye from being drawn downwards.

Problem is, this is a very, very loud look, that most people probably couldn't pull off, and even if they can, they probably can't wear it very often. And frankly, I don't think its a particularly good look. It works, but I certainly wouldn't go trying to replicate this.

Are you looking at a different picture than I am?

Checked trousers like that add some interest to an outfit- blazer and gray trousers, that's usually on the mind-numbingly boring side. It's not loud by any means, and wouldn't be loud with the other posted trousers.

Look, patterned trousers may not be your thing, but they're hardly inherently evil, nor all that limiting if your sportcoats tend to be textured more so than pattered. If you wear lots of loudly pattered sportcoats, yes, you'll run into problems. If you have lots of blazers and flannel sportcoats, an array of patterned pants adds another layer to an outfit.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's wearing a shirt with 1" spaced, 1/4" thick purple stripes. That's loud by just about anyone's definition.

It's not only that patterned odd trousers are hard to pair, it's that they draw the eye downwards. Sure, you could just go with patterned trousers, solid jacket, solid shirt, solid tie. But the pattern on the trousers pulls your eye to the legs, not the face, and makes the whole thing seem off balance. To counteract that, you need a strong pattern up top, which is exactly what Spoo has done here. But then you've got a loud and distinctive outfit, which limits its utility. You can't wear that very often.

Again, one *can* do it--Spoo's outfit here looks pretty decent. But one can't wear that outfit very often given how distinctive it is.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's wearing a shirt with 1" spaced purple stripes. That's loud by just about anyone's definition.

It's not only that patterned odd trousers are hard to pair, it's that they draw the eye downwards. Sure, you could just go with patterned trousers, solid jacket, solid shirt, solid tie. But the pattern on the trousers pulls your eye to the legs, not the face, and makes the whole thing seem off balance. To counteract that, you need a strong pattern up top, which is exactly what Spoo has done here.

Again, one *can* do it--Spoo's outfit here looks pretty decent. But one can't wear that outfit very often given how distinctive it is.

Eh, that shirt's not too loud in my book, though I see what you're saying. Distinctive, but not all that loud. And even so, it's the only strong element up top beside the blazer and tie. You'd have to switch that tie to something notably patterned to cross the line into loud for me- as it is, it's a one pattern outfit with a moderate level of additional interest on the pants.

I wouldn't call it subdued, but I wouldn't call it loud. Just a happy medium.

Benrus

Reaction score
Looking for a second pair of shoes, and have 400usd to spend. Think I want something in dark walnut as my black Hanover wingtips are still going strong. I am pretty set on the AE Larchmosnt. Is this the best bang for my Buck or do you have any other suggestions?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
For $400 you have a whole world out there. Check out clearance items from Alden in the US, and any number of makers in the UK.: discounted or entry-level Church's, Alfred Sargent, Tricker's or Crockett and Jones can be had well within that, and full price on many Cheaney, Barker and others give you plenty of choice.

www.herringshoes.co.uk
www.pediwear.co.uk
www.theshoehealer.co.uk

All have a brilliant range within your budget if you like the English makers, and I've personally ordered plenty from the first two, and their service is excellent.

Going more exotic:

Spain: www.meermin.es (cheap, but can take a long time)
www.carminashoemaker.com (just about within your price)

or if you're really into something new:

www.vass.cipu.hu (Hungarian, brilliant, read the threads for sizing tips and you'll be just a little over budget for pretty much anything yo want)

www.edetal.sg (Singaporean, incredibly priced and good quality, but limited range and sizes)

If you love the Allen Edmonds or just don't want to risk the unknown, go for it. But there's a whole world of shoe addiction out there waiting for you.

Last edited:

eqcitizen

Reaction score
I have a question regarding formal wear. I am currently on the market for a Tuxedo and I am in a predicament. I'm low on funds but want to do something different than the cliche mens wearhouse rental. As of Style, I was thinking vintage... like the old Military style tuxedos or the ones with the cut away coat.... any suggestions on where to find a good one?
The best place to find vintage Dinner suits are the usual places you would think of, ie. Ebay (especially ebay UK), etsy or a good vintage or thrift store (which is where i bought mine for $20, a beautiful 1954 shawl collar, midnight blue dinner suit, fully canvased). If you have the time, check at thrift stores in wealthy neighborhoods (i have seen at least four Tuxedos of decent quality in my travels since the beginning of the new year) and you should find a diamond in the rough (although it will take some time) and once you get it, make sure to tailor it. If you dont have the time to look for one at thrift stores (it may take months, or even years to find one in your size), the best, relatively inexpensive but high quality dinner suit is made by Polo Ralph Lauren (when its on sale...althouth,it is still not what i would call cheap).

Also check out this series on the dinner suit:
http://putthison.com/tagged/Black-Tie-Guide

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
LanceBM,

Don't throw away the classic with the cliche. If your budget is limited, rent the standard (as long as it's correct!), but maybe also try to pick up a vintage black u-front waistcoat instead of a crappy shiny cummerbund, get a proper bow tie (please, not one of those pr=-tied things and it MUST be black), wear a marcella shirt instead of pleated (wing collar if you're slim, flat if you're not), add a simple white pocket square and plain-toed black shoes with a very good polish, and you'll look better than anyone.

dunelly

Reaction score
suit shoulder only divots when wearing a shirt, but not when wearing just an t shirt .

Sleeve too tight forcing cap to bend? a tiny .25 inch let out will fix?

it drapes beautifully when I wear just a t shirt. I had the sleeves slimmed down, maybe a tad too much?

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come the Styleforum facebook page seems to only be about the Streetwear section? I would subscribe to it if there were more posts about Classic Menswear.

Touching Cloth

Reaction score
It's explicitly described as a "Long-sleeve super 160's wool two-button single-breasted mini check suit." Which gives rise to the question, "Are there so many _short_ sleeve suits out there that it's truly necessary to point out this suit's long-sleeve nature?"
smile.gif

--
Michael
Welp, it happened. I saw a short sleeved suit jacket at a designer consignment shop today. I bought a nice PWVC grey cardigan, but I'm certain someone will want me to proxy this.

Last edited:

eqcitizen

Reaction score
suit shoulder only divots when wearing a shirt, but not when wearing just an t shirt .

Sleeve too tight forcing cap to bend? a tiny .25 inch let out will fix?

it drapes beautifully when I wear just a t shirt. I had the sleeves slimmed down, maybe a tad too much?
Pic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads