1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Is a pinpoint oxford shirt with a button down collar too formal for dark wash/raw jeans? I have been looking for lilac/lavender OCBD's but I can only find those colours in pinpoint.

2. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Related to above Q.
    I don't own any ocbd. I'm just starting to build my casual wardrobe up from just tshiets and polos. I think I saw a chart somewhere explaining the difference between ocbd and other button downs and it basically seemed to say ocbd was more versatile cos you can wear them with jeans.
    I never wear jeans though. Is it much of an issue to wear pinpoints and other more 'formal' weaves with chinos or wool?

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Wear it if you like. In real life, nobody's likely to draw a distinction between your lilac/lavender pinpoint, and a lilac/lavender OCBD, worn with your jeans.

Sure, some might say it's too formal. But some will insist that anything beyond a t-shirt or sweat shirt is too formal.

As for whether it violates some traditional standard of dress... traditional standards of dress don't really concern themselves with jeans in the first place. So nothing much to worry about on that basis.

4. BrooksLauren77

Good point. I'm worrying too much anyway. Hell I go to a trade school and I'm overdressed for theory classes anyway.

Thank you for your response.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

No, it's not an issue.

Don't be that SF guy who over-thinks the matter until he convinces himself there's a problem. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. BrooksLauren77

Some chinos are more formal than others. Generally the smoother the weave of the shirt, the more formal it is.
    Yeah, don't be like me where I think pinpoint oxford is too formal for jeans.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. BrooksLauren77

Are you using shoe/boot trees?

8. acecow

acecow Senior member

I don't own many OCBD shirts and I wear my regular shirts with jeans all the time. It's a non-issue in the modern world. I wouldn't wear a contrasting collar shirt with jeans though. If you want to be technical, then OCBD is more casual than a pinpoint.

9. acecow

acecow Senior member

I have the same problem with a pair of AE that I own. I never wear them anymore. If you figure it out - please, pm me with the solution.

10. BrooksLauren77

I'm no shoe expert but I believe I read somewhere that improper shoe fit for your foot can cause unusual creasing.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I just bought a made in Canada Kors from a Nordstrom Rack at the same price, marked as 60% off. I haven't gotten it back from the tailor yet (had a little neck roll). I thought it seemed like a pretty nice jacket. Fabric was nice (not the same as yours though), I think it was half canvas, though I'm not sure and didn't check too closely.

If it fits well, you like the price, and you like the fabric, go for it. Some fusing isn't the end of the world, and you're not exactly subsidizing slave labor in Bangladesh. You might be subsidizing a Leafs fan, and while that is morally questionable, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That's probably part of it. I did buy the shoes used so it's possible that it happened to the earlier wearer. I hope it can be fixed because they're incredibly nice shoes, but I'm sure I'll make my money back if I sell them anyway.

I'll take it to a cobbler this week.

13. BrooksLauren77

Good luck! I have a pair of Chinese made Polo Ralph Lauren chelsea boots (Newent model) that are pretty good but just slightly too loose myself.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I really wanted a pair of these. Mine are Zegna's made in italy by Santoni.

Did you size down on the newents? I heard that they fit a size big.

15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

16. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

This is a super generic question, but I've been trying to find a blazer of a light blue color for summer brunches and lunches. Something of the shade linked previously or something like this. Anyone recommend a brand or website I can look through?

17. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Each site/maker will probably only offer one of that type of jacket so it's hard to point to one big source ...

If you don't mind peak lapels, here's one that won't break the bank:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jack...ackets&prefn1=collection&prefv1=Spring/Summer

Brooks Brothers is also offering that shade of blue as a herringbone SC, but it's Saxxon wool and $900 so a large price gap ...

Club Monaco and some other similar stores will probably carry something like this in the lower price range.

18. BrooksLauren77

I went with my regular Nike sneaker size (US9), in retrospect the boots probably stretched out too much, as they were pretty snug when I first wore them. The insole on the right foot pair is coming off too.

No big deal, I got them for $148 Canadian from $240. I'll go with an English-made Chelsea when I get some more money next time.

19. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I saw the SS Washingtons earlier, and the peak lapels are a bit too much for me.

20. ats200

ats200 Active Member

Thanks for your reply! I bought it and think I'll be keeping it. I figure I like it and why pass it up for the price. Otherwise I'll be spending $400 at Suitsupply when I need one which is probably similar quality in the end.

Never thought about subsidizing Leafs fans. Definitely will factor into my decision next time I see a Kors jacket.