• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ocatoro

Reaction score
aside the shoddy tie knot I quickly threw on to try this combination out before training today, is this tie ok with the suit material? or are they ugly together?

tie is browns and beiges, but quite washed out tones. and it's tweed. the suit material is very smooth, almost felt-like.

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Why is it that men often toss their tie over their shoulder when using the facilities? If your tie is too long that it would block your stream, let that serve as a rude reminder to re-tie your tie.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it that men often toss their tie over their shoulder when using the facilities? If your tie is too long that it would block your stream, let that serve as a rude reminder to re-tie your tie.
Splatter

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ This. When it happens once, you start throwing your tie over your shoulder. And there is even more splatter awaiting you at the sink.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

Was going to say the same.

^ This. When it happens once, you start throwing your tie over your shoulder. And there is even more splatter awaiting you at the sink.

I have experienced the sink splatter, but never the piss. Am I to drop my trousers in order to avoid splatter on those?

I do contort my body in a way to avoid the unfortunate event of water soaking my pants when washing hands.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I to drop my trousers in order to avoid splatter on those?

You could just try sitting down.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have experienced the sink splatter, but never the piss. Am I to drop my trousers in order to avoid splatter on those?

I do contort my body in a way to avoid the unfortunate event of water soaking my pants when washing hands.
Well, you do what you can. It is very easy to avoid splatter on the tie (just throw it over your shoulder). If you want to drop your trousers at the urinal, go ahead. Plus, liquids tend to brush off worsted wool easily. Not so much on silk.

Telnet7

Reaction score
hello all,

I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on unvented sport coats?

CrAz3D

Reaction score
Shoe sizing....hmmm.

I've currently got a 8.5 size shoe on left foot and 8 size shoe on the right foot (ordered two pair so I can wear them on carpet at home before deciding which to buy). I've been busy all day, so feet are at max-swell. the 8.5 (brand new AE Strand) feels a little loose, but the 8 (brand new AE Strand) feels almost like it's too tight. WHAT!?

I've noticed that I can slip pinky finger in back of 8.5, but nothing in 8. the ankle area bows when I bend my foot on the 8.5, but none at all on the 8. flaps up top nearly touch on 8.5, but not at all on 8.

thoughts?

edit: just took off shoes. top of right foot feels like it was really restrained, but left foot feels fine. all this said, I realize it's new leather that hasn't had a chance to stretch and break in.

Last edited:

N8ter

Reaction score
How long does it take a new, leather soled calf shoe to break in? Have a shoe (AE) that is tight and am wondering how long I can expect before it loosens up (or doesn't because I have the wrong size)?

Barrister

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether Carmina shoes are made with a steel shank? I ask because they are allegedly much lighter in weight than other high-end shoes, e.g., Aldens. In a detailed description of the manufacturing process on its website, Carmina does not mention the use of a steel shank. The lack of one would be a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics