• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an OTR maker of fresco suits? The MTM makers I have tried so far don't seem familiar with fresco fabric. I am not hard to fit OTR, so would consider going this way.

E TF

Reaction score

I'm thinking of adding a Navy cotton suit to my wardrobe for summertime.  Mostly for daytime warm weather weddings.  I'd be looking to get one made to measure I think.  My questions:

1) Is cotton a major pain to keep wrinkle free/travel with?
2) Is it significantly cooler than wool?
2) Any ideas where to look for a slim cut made to measure at a reasonable price? I live in Canada

Cotton suits are great but casual. They will not be suitable for formal weddings. Cotton comes in many weights and guises, some will wrinkle more than others. All will wrinkle though - so don't buy it if wrinkles are going to bother you. Sometimes cotton can wear surprisingly warm, more so than wool (which, in looser weaves, tends to be more breathable). If you're concerned about heat, I would go for linen over cotton. I would also consider a linen suit slightly more formal than cotton too, so may be more versatile for wedding purposes (though only slightly). Obviously, linen will wrinkle, but that's part of its charm.

Personally, I consider cotton a good cloth for causal spring/autumn suits.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cotton suits are great but casual. They will not be suitable for formal weddings. Cotton comes in many weights and guises, some will wrinkle more than others. All will wrinkle though - so don't buy it if wrinkles are going to bother you. Sometimes cotton can wear surprisingly warm, more so than wool (which, in looser weaves, tends to be more breathable). If you're concerned about heat, I would go for linen over cotton. I would also consider a linen suit slightly more formal than cotton too, so may be more versatile for wedding purposes (though only slightly). Obviously, linen will wrinkle, but that's part of its charm.

Personally, I consider cotton a good cloth for causal spring/autumn suits.

Yeah, but perfect for the typical daytime summer wedding. You're in the UK, where weddings are often a good deal more formal than they are on this side of the pond, so that's an understandable mistake, but in the US and Canada, daytime summer weddings are the realm of seersucker with bowties, cotton and linen suits, navy blazers and khakis. Coat and tie, but fun and well, summery.

Last edited:

Mark24

Reaction score
I went to the Banana Republic outlet store and I bought some mereno wool v-neck sweaters yesterday. I've never worn v-necks before so my question is are they supposed to make you look chubby ? I'm a pretty slim guy but I look kind of fat in those sweaters.

PiCcolocV

Reaction score
I went to the Banana Republic outlet store and I bought some mereno wool v-neck sweaters yesterday. I've never worn v-necks before so my question is are they supposed to make you look chubby ? I'm a pretty slim guy but I look kind of fat in those sweaters.
I bought a couple of their same v-necks about a year and a half ago, and ended up having to get them all taken in at the sides by an alterationist - they are surprisingly not very slim fit on the body right off the rack.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is why you try things on before you buy them.

Also, if you're taking in BR sweaters, you should be spending money elsewhere.

Suggested steps for RTW shopping:

1 - find something you like
2 - try it on
3 - decide if it fits
if yes, proceed to step 5
if no, proceed to step 4
4 - put it back, return to step 1
5 - purchase and enjoy

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The body of the sweater is what matters there, not the neck. Banana republic pretends to be hip and stylish, but most of their stuff has the same crappy, overly generous cut designed to ensure their clothes fit fat people pretending they can still fit into a medium that a lot of mall brands suffer from.

E TF

Reaction score

Yeah, but perfect for the typical daytime summer wedding. You're in the UK, where weddings are often a good deal more formal than they are on this side of the pond, so that's an understandable mistake, but in the US and Canada, daytime summer weddings are the realm of seersucker with bowties, cotton and linen suits, navy blazers and khakis. Coat and tie, but fun and well, summery.

Oh we have plenty of casual weddings like you describe too (though you won't see many bow ties and seersucker isn't a thing over here). I was just pointing out that it's not suitable for the more formal types, in case he was unaware. I still think linen would be a little more versatile, and also cooler.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh we have plenty of casual weddings like you describe too (though you won't see many bow ties and seersucker isn't a thing over here). I was just pointing out that it's not suitable for the more formal types, in case he was unaware. I still think linen would be a little more versatile, and also cooler.

Fair enough, though the cooler depends on the exact choice of fabric. Since he's getting one MTM, he would be able to ask and pick out a cotton that's not too tightly woven. Of course, if he wanted to go with something like a lighter weight cotton twill, it wouldn't wear quite as cool, but it would also range nicely into spring and fall, but still wear cooler than a lot of the fairly tightly woven wool suiting on the market these days.

Mark24

Reaction score
I bought a couple of their same v-necks about a year and a half ago, and ended up having to get them all taken in at the sides by an alterationist - they are surprisingly not very slim fit on the body right off the rack.

2 - try it on
3 - decide if it fits
if no, proceed to step 4
5 - purchase and enjoy

The body of the sweater is what matters there, not the neck. Banana republic pretends to be hip and stylish, but most of their stuff has the same crappy, overly generous cut designed to ensure their clothes fit fat people pretending they can still fit into a medium that a lot of mall brands suffer from.

Thanks for the help. So where would you guys recommend I get some slim fitting sweaters from ? I'm in still in college and I can't afford to spend more than 40-50 on a sweater

ellsbebc

Reaction score

I have a suit, but it's a few years old and I already wore it to my first round of interviews this past week. After thinking about it, I'll probably just stick with the same suit for now but instead get a new shirt and tie combo for the next set of interviews Tuesday.

No one will notice its the same suit if you wear a different shirt and tie (with assumption it's a traditionally conservative suit).

2 - try it on
3 - decide if it fits
if no, proceed to step 4
5 - purchase and enjoy

6 - if you enjoy that much and price is right, purchase multiples in various colors and potentially double in staple colors.

Some may disagree with step #6.

Mark24

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Does anyone know where I can go to find some slim fitting sweaters ? Something $50 or under

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads