1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I don't know, half windsor seems extremely versatile to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yes, that's my point.

Half Windsor is fine, but I think it's a little much for every day stuff.

I agree with you though.

1 person likes this.
  3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Nonsense that he likes the collar?

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I just think the half windsor and FIH aren't really that different, and I think it's super ridiculous to ever say that one is viable in all situation, but the other isn't in any.

I personally would only use FIH with knit ties, because with other ties I like the symmetry as I think it's somewhat more formal and neat, but with knit ties I am going for a more casual or non-chalant look anyway. If anything, which knot you use should be a sense of self-expression, and it depends on the outfit/circumstance, I think limiting it is a bit of a waste.

I personally don't use the windsor but I'm sure there are plenty of people/situations where it's perfectly reasonable, say people who are larger with larger heads, or want the tie to stand out more.

1 person likes this.
  5. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Would you rather own a Belvest suit or an E Zegna Milano? I can only pick one and want to know which one would be the better pick in terms of quality.

E Zegna Milano looks like RLBL with better shoulders unless I'm looking at the wrong picture(It's been hard to find one). Is there a suit from a different company whose styling is comparable to the Milano(such as Suit supply)?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

^^

You should be able to tell which one has "more timeless styling" just from looking at them.

7. forbritisheyes

Well that's the thing - I am not sure if the E Zegna I was looking at was an accurate picture because it's been surprisingly hard to find a pic of one. I've edited my original post to remove the styling as it is entirely more subjective than quality. Thanks.

Can you(or anyone else) speak to the quality and comparison of both? I've read Belvest in the Suit Heirarchy thread Belvest is one tier above, but other places claim they are nearly equal. For this reason I'm inquiring regarding which suit I should choose in terms of durability, quality, & feel.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Are we talking about specific suits here, or in general? Second hand, you can generalize all you want, but until you're looking at a specific suit, then it doesn't make much difference.

I don't really know anything about E. Zegna or about Belvest in particular.

9. forbritisheyes

Yes, a 2013 Belvest black label suit vs this Milano

10. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Should striped pants or a shirt never be paired with a fair isle vest? I have one similar to the one below but I find it a little difficult pairing it with a shirt and tie. Should I try and match the tones of the backround fair isle color or have a contrast?

[​IMG]

11. click here

click here Senior member

Anyone know where I can find a menswear shopping guide for Italy? Planning on going to Naples and Florence this year and would like to do some shopping.

12. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

Does this suit look dated? Is the gorge too low or the lapels an older shape?
    [​IMG]

13. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Lapels are a little too wide in my opinion, and the three buttons come down to preference.

That many patterns would become too confusing, I imagine.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  14. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

Is that a 3-button suit, or is it designed to be worn 3-roll-2?

Any other opinions?

15. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

It looks to be 3-roll-2, although that's still a 3-button.

Furthermore, I can't tell clearly from the picture if it has more than four buttons on the sleeve?

16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

No, it looks fine.

17. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful ... and wonderful colors.

18. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

19. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

Anyone know the quality difference between these two Brooks Brothers "Desert Chukka Boots"

One is Peal & Co, made in England (by Loak)

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Chukka-Field-Boots/614H,default,pd.html

The other is non-Peal, and says Made in Italy:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Field...var_MH00369_Color=BLCK&contentpos=1&cgid=0522

They look similar but I notice the navy suede is darker on one more than the other.

Has anyone experience with both of them? With the Italy one? Strange that they are the same price.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

In general which of these are more frowned upon on SF? Tie without jacket, or suit without tie?

Also what do people think about getting an odd (light gray) tweed waistcoat made to use just as a generic piece, and wonder if it'd be alright to wear in non wintery months, either with a jacket or without. I think if it's light enough and somewhat subtle it should be fine? Or should I keep tweed only for winter/colder months?

Something like this:

[​IMG]