1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Well, you still want to fit in the theme, and people don't associate Gatsby/Speakeasy with either of those.

1 person likes this.
  2. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Hey guys, how do I describe the shirt that the mannequin wears that doesn't have a price tag, and says " not for resale". Thanks
    Is this called a demo shirt or something?

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Can't you just put a disclaimer in all your listings saying that the auction is for the jacket only?

4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Well, it would have to be white tie, since it's in the evening, and frock coats are morning dress. Go for the wing collar, peak lapels, and jeweled studs. I think it works.

5. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

No, I mean there's sample shirts that the mannequins in stores wear. The shirt I purchased does not have any tags for size/fabric etc. The tag attached also doesn't have any price attached to it, because its the shirt they use to demo/ sample the shirt. Harder to explain than I thought.

6. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Sample shirt.

J

1 person likes this.
  7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

"Floor model, from mannequin, no tags" if I wanted to be clear, I guess. I don't know if there is a correct term; didn't know this about mannequin models. Don't know if JR was suggesting one, or knew the proper one.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

LL Bean. The shearling ones are the warmest.

1 person likes this.
  9. facet

facet Senior member

thanks, yeah sometimes I catch myself over thinking things a little after being on here too long.

10. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I get them for tennis, and they are called sample shirts, made for the vendor shows, some I have are even different from the actual production design, since they changed the design or cancelled it.

There are a couple of other brands of menswear (normal clothes, not athletic) where I get the clothes shown to vendors or worn by the models which are also called sample shirts.

I am pretty lucky to have the build of a runway model except I am about an inch too tall (with bad posture and a face that doesn't make the grade) so I usually don't even have to try the stuff on, it just all fits like it was made for me, let out the sleeves and bam. If I didn't have enormous feet I'd be set for shoes too!

J

11. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Senior member

So I've been told four in hand and a cutaway collar is a no go

Here is a pic of four in hand knot and a cutaway collar
    [​IMG]

Opinions? Is it better to tie it with bigger knot or is this fine?

12. Displacement

Displacement Senior member

Are there any brands selling suits with below-waist button points right now? I know it's unfashionable but I can't find a single suit with a high gorge and a low button point.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Probably because they look ridiculous?

14. E TF

E TF Senior member

Having the buttoning point slightly below the natural waist has a subtly slimming effect on the silhouette (I think I learnt this from Despos), and gives the coat a natural, relaxed feel.

15. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

This is one of those arbitrary rules people like to repeat that have no basis in the actual history of menswear (kind of like "no cuffs with flat-front pants"). If you look up photos of British royals in morning dress, you will find plenty of FIH knots with wide spread and cutaway collars. Ralph Lauren also favors this look.

Frankly, that knot is too big as it is, and I would tie it a bit smaller.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  16. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I love showing a bit of tieband with a cutaway.

J

17. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I

I also find the knot too big, but mostly too long, which would be resolved by a tight half Windsor, which is normally tied farther up the tie, where it is thinner. I've never thought of this as a rule with historical basis, but with an aesthetic one. A Windsor knot just plain looks better with a full spread collar, because it is less likely to show unsightly neck band. I've seen four in hands work, but generally windsors look better. At any rate, that knot doesn't work, in it's present form.

18. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I don't find showing tie band unsightly, either, but to each his own.

19. jaidog

jaidog Well-Known Member

Shirt Fabric Drape

I've received some fabric swatches from various MTM shirt makers and am wondering how to evaluate them. By looking at them, I get a good sense of the color. I can also tell how transparent the fabric is. I can feel its softness. But, how can I get a sense of how a shirt made from the fabric will drape?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

20. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

We are brothers!

J