1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Great replies, I just wanted to make sure my question didn't come across as "I don't think your Edward Greene is any better than my Bostonian."

I'm an auto mechanic by trade, but have a fascination with how anything is put together or made, be it a skyscraper, sportcoat, or watch.

I also want the knowledge of what exactly I'm paying for so that I can determine if I feel that it is worth it to me.

J

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Much in the same way a Casio tells the time similar, if not better, than a Patek Phillipe.

2 people like this.
  3. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Like you said my tailor usually warns me of such matters, but I wasn't sure if buying a pair of pants that was 1" larger than my size was safe. Thanks for the info!

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You're welcome and enjoy the new purchase if you pull the trigger on it!

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Every now and then I'm in a thread and see someone who is "banned". How does one achieve such distinction (not that I'm planning on this!)?

6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Posting Prada fit pics, mostly.

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

8. JohnMcMasters

JohnMcMasters New Member

9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Has anyone tried the Marcoliani wool boot socks from Kabbaz? Too hot to wear as dress socks in a typical office environment? (I'm looking for some thicker dress socks to help take up room in a couple of shoes that could be a bit more snug--just the left shoe, the right is fine. :angry:)

10. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

No. If you are a watch novice and are worried about counterfeit Omegas, then bidding on a vintage watch, from Peru, via eBay, is quite possibly a mistake.

A much more comprehensive discussion on this topic could be had at any of various watch-oriented sites. Two with which I'm familiar are www.timezone.com and www.watchuseek.com.

2 people like this.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I like timezone. I bought my first used watch from there. It was a great experience.

12. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I have a couple of quilted jackets (Barbour and Jack Wills) with side vents and snaps on the vents.

Is there a name for that?

J

13. YVESSAINTBORAT

YVESSAINTBORAT New Member

Anyone know where I can still find those SLP (SAINT LAURENT PARIS) ripped denim? In either faded blue or black? I know they sold out, but I was hoping someone can help me out! :)

14. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

I've received my shoes from ebay. They feel a bit tight but they are not broken in yet. I am a little bit worried about the lacing. It shows a V shape instead of a closed line.
    Do you think this is acceptable ? (I have high arched feet)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

The lacing looks acceptable to me. It's not exactly a wide V shape, after all.

Far more significant is that they feel tight. While it's true that some shoes can break in after a few wearings and be more comfortable than they were when brand new, often people take an exaggerated view of this. Usually, if the shoe is tight when new, it's going to remain tight (and uncomfortable).

Whether the tightness is due to your high arched feet, I can't say. It could be. Maybe you'd be better off with wider shoes, or shoes built on a different last. I just know that if a shoe feels tight on my foot, I don't buy it. If buying via eBay, I'd make sure I knew exactly what size (including width) I needed to buy in the specific model shoe in question, in order for it to fit me. And which shoes just aren't a good match for my feet, so I shouldn't buy them.

Beware shoes which are "a little tight, but not too bad," at 8 o'clock in the morning. By the end of the day, they run the risk of having transformed into something akin to medieval torture devices. :)

3 people like this.
  16. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You don't want them to lace up tight. These seem maybe...maybe...borderline but I could comfortably predict that, all things being equal, by the time the shoes are a year old the facings will be only about a quarter of an inch apart. Every time you lace the shoes up, the facings will get just a tiny bit closer together. If they ever finally lace up tight, you'll have nowhere to go as the shoes stretch and accommodate themselves to your foot..

You have to understand that, esp. with manufactured shoes, very little of the stretch inherent in the leather has been taken out during lasting. Some yes, but there's plenty in reserve. The simple fact is that patterns are designed to more or less "fall" on the last and all the lasting machine has to do it take out the slack and snug the leather up to the last.

The idea that a shoe should fit like an old slipper upon first wearing is a little wrong-headed. I'm not advocating buying shoes tight to the point of discomfort but the reality is that shoes will stretch....will stretch. Think about it, if they are loose now, do you think they will get tighter with wear?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  17. beneven

beneven Well-Known Member

Too check-ish or grid-y? Tie is my favorite Marinella, this combo caught my eye originally but I ended up playing it safe and going for solid shirt instead; would this tie possibly work with a thin blue/white striped shirt? Thanks!

[​IMG]

18. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

V shaped lacing looks totally fine. This is what my new AE park ave looked like, after 10 wears the sides are almost parallel; I think the cork insole sinks a bit, lowering my arch in the shoe. If the toes are tight, however, you need a larger or wider size.

19. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Does anyone know if the buttons of Brando jackets are either working or fake buttons?
    Thanks

20. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

Thank you for your answer. I guess it will be fine.
    My toes are perfectly okay in the shoes, I feel that the leather is hard around my ankle (and there is no gap behind my heel) but I think this is what it feels before breaking it in.