1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Really? Would you wear the dark brown or tan with black pants/jeans from time to time. Interesting...

I'd like to be able to wear this to work from time to time over an OBDC or such.

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I prefer brown leather jackets to black, for myself. I'm a big guy, and particularly in my younger days realized that black leather jackets - as a result of factors having to do with my size, facial features, hair, design details of the jacket, etc. - could sometimes make me look somewhere between intimidating and thuggish. Not a look to which I aspired. Not a significant issue with brown leather, however.

Maybe this is a relevant consideration for you. Maybe it isn't.

As for black going with everything... it's not like brown is all that challenging a leather color to match, either. And granted, it's usually somewhat less formal than is black, but since I wouldn't typically wear a leather jacket (regardless of color) for any occasion calling for much formality in terms of dress, that's essentially a null issue.

3. ridethecliche

That's true. I'm not an intimidating guy, so I would probably not be too worried. I don't think a skinny brown kid with a beard would freak anyone out, though I could be wrong!

I'll keep an eye out for brown ones as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  4. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, J011yroger.

Strangely, they were sold as odd trousers, which is probably why it was slightly unexpected.

However, I can still send them back, which will probably be easier than constantly trying to come up with combinations to make them work. Further, I will have to leave your question to someone more adapt with that clothing combination.

5. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I wear my black leather jacket out on the town at night with black pants or jeans and black shoes.

I've worn it less than once a year since I left my mid 20s behind.

J

6. ridethecliche

I'm 24 so that should explain it. If you're is about a size 40.... You know who to contact!

7. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

8. ridethecliche

I like it. Certainly more streetwear than CM, but it should fit your purposes perfectly.

9. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

It's a beautiful Brooks Brothers one in L.

If I had it to do again I would buy a medium.

J

10. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Would anyone know what the button-down flap near the trouser side pocket is for?

[​IMG]

Edit:

Perhaps it is a ticket pocket?

Edit 2:

Yes, it is a ticket pocket.

11. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

12. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

Since I'm still new to the world of suiting, I have to ask this question...is it common for one jacket sleeve to appear longer than the other? I'm not sure if one of my arms is longer than other or if movement is causing one of the sleeves to slowly get pulled up.

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

"Suiting" is the name for cloth that suits are made from, not for suits themselves. You're new to the world of suits.

I often get one arm looking slightly longer than the other. Luckily it's an easy fix.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I may be in the minority here, but I think these are too formal for chinos. I would probably only where them with a suit.

15. atoms

atoms Senior member

Very common. All my jackets require one sleeve to be shortened more than the other by as much as 1/2 inch. It's not necessarily differing arm lengths though. In my case, my right shoulder drops more than my left, and with the way jackets drape it becomes obvious in the sleeves.

16. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I wouldn't wear them with anything less formal than nice wool/flannel trousers.

J

17. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Also called a watch flap. Purely decorative on some pants, fully functional on others. It harkens back to olden days when some men carried pocket watches without a vest.

1 person likes this.
  18. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I put my car key in them!

J

1 person likes this.
  19. cag2

cag2 Member

I'm getting ready to purchase several new dress shoes and am looking for an exhaustive dress shoe guide before I invest in some good pairs. I have several questions and I'm sure they've been answered and explained somewhere. None of my questions are really style related. I'm more interested in construction, maintenance, and repairs. From the little that I have read and understand, it seems Goodyear welt and Blake construction are the 2 preferable construction types, with Goodyear as the best. I've also seen it stated that it can be more difficult to find a cobbler who can repair Blake construction shoes. Some of the questions I have are below.

How often do shoes need to be resoled? How can you tell when they need to be resoled?

How often should you polish your shoes?

How can you tell if a cobbler's work is up to par? How much should you expect to pay for typical work done by a cobbler? (I live in Tampa, FL if anyone here can recommend a particular cobbler.)

What is the difference between all the types of cedar shoe trees? Which are more preferable? What should you look for?

Any other helpful information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

20. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

I just have to say, I think you're overthinking all of this. Anyway regarding welting, goodyear is not really superior, each has their pros and cons, goodyear is more waterproof and stiffer ( if you want truly waterproof look for Norvegese welting). On the other hand blake is sleeker, and gives a more flexible shoe (many italian dress shoes are blake). I can't really answer on polishing and resoling, it completely depends on the weather, terrain, and the wearer on the frequency. After a bit of practice you will get an eye for when they need a little love. When the soles/heels seem to be getting too thin, that you are about wear through to the leather underneath or damage the welting is just basically when they need to be resoled. As far as a decent cobbler in you area, maybe you should try phoning a reputable shoe manufacturer and where they would reccomend their shoes to be resoled in your area. Lastly on shoes trees, the ones that do not have varnish/lacquer on the wood will absorb moisture far better. If you want more info I suggest you give these threads a read, they have alot of great information, and people who are much more knowledgeable than myself.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties

http://www.styleforum.net/t/297037/sole-welting

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc