• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I have a grey and a blue suit and do not want to wear black shoes with the blue suit

My dad always told me to wear black shoes with a blue suit, but he was raised by his grandfather and so was taught how to dress by a 1920's business man.
Now I wear brown shoes with my blue suit unless the situation requires something more subtle, in which case I'll wear black.

I understand wanting 2 pair and while I can't disagree with the point mkarim makes above I'm sure you can track down a couple of decent pairs on sale. I always found good stuff at Nordstrom Rack. I just looked at the Nordstrom men's shoe sale items and there are a few nice pair at 40% off- not bad!

kushburner

Reaction score
My dad always told me to wear black shoes with a blue suit, but he was raised by his grandfather and so was taught how to dress by a 1920's business man.
Now I wear brown shoes with my blue suit unless the situation requires something more subtle, in which case I'll wear black.

I understand wanting 2 pair and while I can't disagree with the point mkarim makes above I'm sure you can track down a couple of decent pairs on sale. I always found good stuff at Nordstrom Rack. I just looked at the Nordstrom men's shoe sale items and there are a few nice pair at 40% off- not bad!
Thanks, I'll give Nordstrom a look

kushburner

Reaction score
Then you wear the one pair down fairly quickly, and don't have the versatility of having both black and brown.

kushburner: what kind of setting will you be wearing these shoes in? Because it's relatively easy to find a $100ish (less on sale) moccasin, but more difficult to find a nice lace up in the same price range.
Im looking for something with laces. It will be worn with suits.

Pingu

Reaction score
Do you mind giving me some advice as I am not an expert on suits? I'm trying to buy a suit for 400-700, charcoal suit, my first suit. I've looked at hugo boss outlet and I love their cut and style and it goes really well with my athletic build but the quality is like a ~$300 suit. Do you know any other brand/stores where I can get a similar cut with better quality for a lower price? Perhaps Moores?

Thanks

ocatoro

Reaction score
my quick question is....

what shirt, tie, and square combination to wear with a petrol blue shawl lapelled suit?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being new to the world of boots, what options are allowed/look good with suits? I suppose a balmoral lace-up would work fine, but what about a Chelsea boot or a plain-toe (in)side zip?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get some recommendations on chukka boots that are sleek and go well with dark denim? Price range is $100-150 preferably.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I get some recommendations on chukka boots that are sleek and go well with dark denim? Price range is $100-150 preferably.

That's a low range so maybe Cole Haan? The Nike owned one's are quite comfortable. I actually own a pair and I was pleasantly surprised.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For just a bit more than that, you may be able to get some Loakes, which are pretty decent shoes.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get the original desert boot from Clark's. It's a solid and well constructed.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had those same Clarks DB color but they are messed up now and I'm looking for something more sleek. Where can I find Loakes in that price range?

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had those same Clarks DB color but they are messed up now and I'm looking for something more sleek. Where can I find Loakes in that price range?

Ahh none of this would have happened if i had just read your user name!!

meursault42

Reaction score
I'm looking for a slightly crazy cardigan (loud colors, stripes ect) I can't find anything. Suggestions?

meursault42

Reaction score

my quick question is.... 

what shirt, tie, and square combination to wear with a petrol blue shawl lapelled suit?
well you have a few options since this isn't (or rather shouldn't be) formal. To begin, a white shirt with a blue suit always looks classic. Additionally, consider the opposite, more rakish black shirt. After that really the sky is the limit, a lighter blue for a color blocked look. Any complimentary tone, such as a brown (careful could look embarrassingly 70s). Corresponding tie combos in order of preference, white with red, then lighter shade of blue, then repp. Black none, pop open a button or two and go out like a badass. I could go on but the real answer is to not wear a tie unless you must. A blue shawl collar suit is a party piece and not really office appropriate and should be treated accordingly: casually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads