• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Too broad a question.
Given the right circumstances, anything's possible. But I tend to think of cashmere (or wool ties, generally) as more winter, than summer.
Ah, now you've at least narrowed it down a little.

I would prefer not to wear a linen tie with a linen suit. It could be done, sure. But generally speaking, I don't think it tends to be the best combination.

With a linen suit, there's actually nothing fundamentally wrong with the tried and true silk necktie. The textures tend to be different enough to keep things interesting, and I don't associate silk with winter, the way I sort of associate cashmere with winter.

A more definite recommendation of a good "summer tie" would depend on factors you haven't mentioned, such as the color of the suit, your geographic location, the setting where the suit and tie will be worn, your choice of shirt (collar, color, and so forth), your coloring, etc. Although, of course, certain colors are typically associated more strongly with summer, than they are with winter, and this could influence one's choice of summer tie, as well.

BTW, I recently purchased a Brooks Brothers navy blazer, that's 37% silk, 33% linen, and 30% wool. With that sucker, I figure I'm ready for any type of tie and any season of the year.
smile.gif
That blazer sounds really nice. Pictures?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That blazer sounds really nice. Pictures?

Not my pics, but they'll do.

From Brooks Bros. 1818 line. Madison fit. 2-button navy herringbone blazer. 37% silk, 33% linen, 30% wool.

(Not slim-fitting, which means it probably won't get much love here on SF, but I strongly prefer a fuller, more traditional fit, so I like it.)

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not my pics, but they'll do.

From Brooks Bros. 1818 line. Madison fit. 2-button navy herringbone blazer. 37% silk, 33% linen, 30% wool.

(Not slim-fitting, which means it probably won't get much love here on SF, but I strongly prefer a fuller, more traditional fit, so I like it.)

Well, that's what tailors are for. It's a gorgeous blazer.

azumi

Reaction score
What you are referring to is not a trench coat. You can certainly have single breasted raincoats, and they look perfectly fine, but they are not trenchcoats. Words have meanings, and trenchcoat is a specific type of raincoat, not just a word used to describe any classic raincoat you want. Basically, double breasted and belted are the key elements to a trenchcoat- some would also say it has to be mid length, but makers have been playing around with the length from day one, so I wouldn't include that.

As for color, your size doesn't matter, whoever told you that you shouldn't wear a real trenchcoat was wrong. Wear what you like, just make sure it's sized appropriately. I'm 5'6" and own both a classic tan trenchcoat and a black Mackintosh (single breasted raincoat with a covered fly, probably what you're looking at). I find the trench gets more wear when I'm dressed fairly formally and the Mac more wear when I'm in business casual. YMMV. Tan is certainly a perfectly acceptable color for a smaller guy to wear, as is navy. Pick whichever you like.
Thank you for enlighten me, I use the words "single breasted trench coat" because I find it here:http://artofmanliness.com/2010/10/20/man-guide-trench-coat/
And they said:

Quote: And a given photo describe this one is a trench coat ( so do the Burberry and Aquascutum official websites):

I have a black double breasted coat (yes it's a trench coat) of Burberry and now I want to purchase one more. I think I should buy another style such as a single breasted coat. But since I almost wear the my black trench coat in the evening, I think I should buy a navy (or maybe a tan) double breasted instead so I can wear it in under the daylight.
After having your help, I think I can buy a light color coat (tan, honey...) with confidence.

Last edited:

Xtra2

Reaction score
Really any combo you mention will work- I think it comes down to personal preferences and what suits you the best.
For me, I would go grey suit white shirt and the tie/PS you show above- but I'm a pretty conservative guy and that may be a little too dry for your style. I wouldn't go blue suit with this blue tie, perhaps a lighter blue but I try to avoid being too Regis Philbin with the color palette.
Try laying the outfits on your bed and play with the options- or post pics for better guidance than mine!

OK, so I'll stick with the grey suit.

I'll make up my mind at friday/saturday before the ball by laying the two different shirts and the tie/ps combination on my bed to assess it, but it's good that you think the combination would work. Thanks! :)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SlimJohny

Reaction score
Hey guys, since I am not from US, I can not access usa.tommy.com site properly (I can browse it, but can not see which sizes are available). I would like to ask those of you, who live in the US, to check availibility of the shoes in the pictures below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxkcaqoqvlony80/shoes1.png
I am interested in the brown color - same as in the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkr023r37dmabea/shoe.png
Also the brown color.

Best would be just to make print screen of the whole site, where I can see which sizes are available. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Homerunking17

Reaction score
Quick Question. New Here and was just wondering what you guys think of Navy Lace Ups. What color suit do you wear them with and do you think its a viable option for a dress shoe or is it just a gimmicky color that doesnt really go well?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick Question. New Here and was just wondering what you guys think of Navy Lace Ups. What color suit do you wear them with and do you think its a viable option for a dress shoe or is it just a gimmicky color that doesnt really go well?

You mean like oxfords?

Regardless, navy shoes are definitely a statement shoe. Definitely should not be something you buy until you have a whole bunch of other more versatile shoes in your lineup. Black or dark brown shoes are much better for a dress shoe to be worn with a suit.

Last edited:

Homerunking17

Reaction score
You mean like oxfords?

Regardless, navy shoes are definitely a statement shoe. Definitely should not be something you buy until you have a whole bunch of other more versatile shoes in your lineup. Black or dark brown shoes are much better for a dress shoe to be worn with a suit.
Yeah I just Ordered a pair of Harris Navy Blue Wingtip oxfords on sale at barneys because I never really seen anything like them. I currently own black brown and grey but thought these might stand out a bit but now im not sure what I can wear them with other than a blue suit.

AceK

Reaction score
Hi there, what is the strip of fabric/ribbon that comes in the pants pocket of expensive suits (its about half an inch thick and maybe 3 feet long)? possibly expensive pants too? Ive had this a few times. Thanks in advance for the help.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, what is the strip of fabric/ribbon that comes in the pants pocket of expensive suits (its about half an inch thick and maybe 3 feet long)? possibly expensive pants too? Ive had this a few times. Thanks in advance for the help.

It's hem tape to reinforce and weight the pant hems.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking everywhere for this with no perfect fit: I'm trying to find a grey suede derby shoes with a standard, brown leather sole. Like bucks but with the kind of brown sole you'd see on a typical brown dress shoe rather than red brick or some other plastic looking thing.

The Grenson Finlay is a near fit but it has this odd contrasting trim between the sole and the upper.

Any ideas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads