1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I have all these :)

I'm not trying to be 40-something year old Bob Saget wearing jeans and Chuck Taylors.

I just want one pair of good quality denim for the times I feel like wearing it.

2 people like this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm sure someone who knows about these things will come along with an actual informative answer for you, rather than just to yank my chain!

In the mean time, I've heard good things about "Big John" from www.nomanwalksalone.com But I don't have any myself.

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Um it's a weekend, they don't process orders on weekends, so I can cancel it if I wanted to.
    Yeah that's what I thought. Whatever. We'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

What he said.

Moreover, the question is not appropriate for this, the Classic Menswear forum. No, not even if you think that based on pics in this forum we're likely to give you better advice than they will over in Streetwear & Denim. But to post here anyway, and then take exception to the fact that some of the responses indicate a lack of love for denim, is simply ridiculous.

What's next? "I'm getting married next month and want to look sharp. The dress code will be sweatpants and t-shirts. I want to wear really close-fitting, clean sweats, so I'm posting here for advice on which brands I should buy. I chose this forum because I don't like the over-sized and food-stained sweats I see over at the Sweatwear & Slobbing forum. Oh, and don't tell me that I can do better than to wear sweatpants and a t-shirt to my wedding, because that's an antiquated viewpoint and the world has moved on and I can wear whatever I want and sweats are comfortable and everybody thinks it's fine to wear them."

To say nothing of the "Interviewing for Clerkship with Supreme Court Justice - Are Purple Shorts Okay, or Should I Wear Blue? (If It Matters, I'm An Autumn.)" threads.

1 person likes this.
  5. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You wasted a lot of snark (albeit boring and unfunny snark anyways) since this part never happened. Better luck next time, sir.

Plus there's a casual menswear thread as part of this forum, which would presumably include denim from time to time.

Boy oh boy your reply was a swing and a miss every step of the way. Consistent, though!

1 person likes this.
  6. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Mimo I didn't say that you were antiquated, though your ideas regarding what denim is appropriate for are, and your constant opining on nearly every denim related post is very trying. please give it a rest. people will continue to wear jeans (and well) whether you like them or not.

7. gringodaddy

asinine. do you leave the house in button boots and top hat everyday?

1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

This is a forum; it invites opinions. Especially here when open questions are asked.

I note that I have at least tried to answer the question, both in form and specifics. Repeating your disagreement with my view of the appropriate use of denim over and again is, I venture, rather less useful.

Don't be sad. Be happy. :)

9. gringodaddy

^^Mimo, having a differing opinion doesn't mean that I am sad. Sorry if I seemed repetitive, I too was simply using a forum to express an opinion. Carry on.

1 person likes this.
  10. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

People not likely denim is perfectly reasonable, I think it's highly dependent in the context, whether denim is an important part of your wardrobe or not, or at all, I don't know why we can accept that some people SHOULD have denim, and some have absolutely no need.

If you're in your early twenties don't only associate in highly formal settings, and have no denim, that's just a bit weird. And if you're going to have denim, wanting the very best makes a lot of sense.

I've read the following advice all over this forum, so I don't know why it can't be echoed here: Dressing well or badly is not the same as dressing formally or informally, you can dress well or badly at any level of formality. That means, if your situation requires you to be business casual or even more casual, then you can be well dressed sticking to those social expectations; you're not forced to wear a suit knowing that everyone will look at you weird and it'd be totally inappropriate/look like a try hard. Similarly if you hang out with friends who dress casually (yeah not everyone only has business friends, or friends who live in the same social sphere) then you have to work with that, and that means denim can be a solid choice. I don't believe that dressing less formally is necessarily "sloppy" or makes you a slob, you can still pay a lot of attention to your outfit. It's only bad when you dress casually in an inappropriate circumstance.

Anyway like I said I'd look into Naked and Famous. btw their website design/logos are horrid and tacky, and I cut out the patch as soon as I got it, but don't let that fool you, the quality + price point is excellent.

PS. If anything, asking the question wrt denim here instead of streetwear section indicates that he believes his tastes more similar to those who generally wear classic clothing, or that he respects the tastes of posters here, I'd take that as a compliment surely? I don't think it's absurd at all that posters who frequent this side of the forums often do own denim and wear them casually and would have useful opinions on the subject. I don't think it's weird at all?

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

About time this thread got interesting :lurk:

12. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

What are your thoughts about wearing Double Monks to the Uni together with chinos/raw denim/v-necks/OCBDs?

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Do it.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I love double monks, as far as I'm concerned, wear them with anything :inlove:

1 person likes this.
  15. CLiang

CLiang Active Member

Hello, I need some guide and opinion to taking care of my Cashmere sweaters because I will like to keep them for a long time.

First of all I read some review that Woolite is the best detergent to clean cashmere. Will it be "Woolite Delicate" or "Woolite Everyday" will be the best? or a bottle of delicate wash detergent from Laundress or J crew better?

Second, I have read some review on some blogs or articles about brushes to remove pills and I need some opinion on which I kind of brush I should purchase. I have read that a "boar-bristle brush" or a "The Laundress Cashmere Brush" or a "velvet cloth brush" could do the trick. I do not know which is the best option because of the price differences. The laundress is around 60, the boar-bristle and velvet brush can go between 10-25 dollars, so I am stuck on which one I should get or better yet if someone have a better choice than the ones I found.

Last question, maybe it is a dumb question. If I brush the sweater every time I wear it will the sweater begin to develop holes or gaps between the area I brush regularly like elbow or back? Also is picking on pilling a bad habit?

16. ridethecliche

I'm having a hard time finding a picture and I didn't take one, so description is all I can give you.

I found a navy SC today with a windowpane pattern, so it was sky blue windowpane on a solid navy. It was pretty thin windowpane though and only readily apparently from a few feet away or closer. The jacket didn't have solid buttons either.

The fabric didn't seem to have any crazy twill or such. The jacket fit okay and I really liked the pattern, albeit I wish it was bolder with a the windowpane outlines slightly thicker.

Orphan suit jacket or SC?

17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I just use Kent brushes; they have a cashmere one though I'll be honest I haven't bothered with getting that specific one. I also don't wash cashmere sweaters in general; I will if they get dirty but I imagine it's much like suits in that you aim to not get into position to have to wash it if possible. Since cashmere sweaters aren't 4 season, you can probably get away with not worrying about cleaning them for a long time.

I can't say that it's bad, but I wouldn't worry about brushing too firmly unless there's a need. Don't fix it if it's not a problem. That said I don't wear them as often as others may so, eh.

18. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

RTC, that sounds like liminal space -- could go either way, thought if it were a totally smooth worsted then it would be better with matching trousers. It's a judgement call.

19. ridethecliche

I'll see if I can swing by tomorrow and try it out wearing a shirt and tie. I suspect it's a hair big on me and will need waist suppression I really liked the pattern. I asked because it was a very thin line window pane, most scs I'd seen have at least 3x the line thickness do it stands out way more. I wish this one did.

20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

If it's really thin, it may not work as a sport coat. If the pattern is one thread wide, it's for sure a suiting cloth.

Remember, another deal will always come along.

2 people like this.