1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

^That jacket seems too small for you.....for one thing, it's too short.

2. red81

red81 Senior member

can a grey herringbone sportcoat and a plain white ocbd work as part of an outfit for a nye dinner?
    if so, what kind of pants should i wear and/or tie? i was planning on wearing walnut strands as shoes.

3. punit12

punit12 Active Member

Ah, damn. She bought it from River Island (a bit like Topman) so their sizes are just S M and L, so the next size up would have been too big. Anything I can do?

4. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

Sure! I do play basketball and lift weights, so I do have a lean body. Squats are something I do often so despite my frame, I would say say my legs/butt area are built well. We do tend to walk around the office without our suit jackets or if we're dressed business casual. In a sense, I'm trying to find the middle of not something too inappropriate (butt hugging) and too loose, but something that would receive compliments for being well tailored/fitted.

5. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Depends on the formality of the event. Seedy bar/hardcore show? You're overdressed. Black tie optional? You're underdressed.

If the jacket is a very dark gray, wear lighter gray trousers. If it's a very light gray, wear mid-gray trousers. Or: dark tan cotton (twill, moleskin, cord) trousers, the same in navy, or dark jeans.

Walnut strands will be okay, but you don't want them to be the lightest part of the rig.

Edit: MMoon24, don't aim for compliments. Aim for good fit. If you want the average guy on the street to think your trousers fit well, make sure the bottom end is right: length and width at hem.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  6. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Based on above markers, the following jacket might be an odd jacket: thicker, fuzzy fabric and windowpane pattern. I am still not entirely sure though (still strikes me as a possible orphan). I do however feel that, even if this might be an orphan, it is not too obvious and therefore can be worn as an odd jacket. Anyone care to chip in his 2 cents?
    [​IMG]

PS: Sorry for the repetitive questions on odd jackets. I still find it hard to see the difference on lots of occasions

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

[​IMG]

8. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

YOOX has a lot of suits in cool wool. What does this mean?

9. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

"Cool Wool garments are manufactured from lightweight Merino wool fabrics with a maximum weight of 190 g/m² and a maximum mean wool fibre diameter of 22.5 micron. The fabric/garment surface is clean and smooth. Cool Wool Fabrics and garments carrying the Woolmark are normally 100 per cent Pure New Wool but can include blends of wool with fine animal fibres. For fabrics and garments where wool is blended with other natural fibres (cellulosic or silk), the Cool Wool label is used in conjunction with the Woolmark Blend logo. The inclusion of elastane-type filaments to impart stretch characteristics to the fabric is permitted."

http://www.woolmark.com/innovations/cool-wool

10. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

With this weight are they suitable for Winter?

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Wear it with pride. You're a student, and young, and the jacket is very fashionable right now. When you're a professional, you can worry about classic styling. Until then, this jacket is young and fresh.

1 person likes this.
  12. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

13. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

I guess I would ask where. Winter in California, sure. Winter in Chicago, probably not.

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

@punit12 If you have the funds, and I mean if you are doing well with some great pt job/your parents will pay for it/you're selling your Ritalin prescriptions, you could go up a size and have it altered by a tailor. But, really only if you have money to blow on that. If you would have to give something else up, or feel worried about money, or ptherwise have to try to find the money in any way, just wear it as is. If it came down to alterations or beer, choosebeer. It's not perfect, but it's not awful, either. It's close enough for jazz.

As veremund says, the jacket is fashionable, and, if you find it a little tight, wear it unbuttoned.

1 person likes this.
  15. mimo

mimo Senior member

190g is very light for a suit fabric - roughly 7.5oz in alternative speak. Any lighter and it's a shirt!

I'd actually be interested to know how it drapes if you ever get any. I live in a year round hot climate and I'm always on the lookout for a good light cloth to give to the tailor.

16. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

I'm not buying it but YOOX has a lot of these suits. BTW, buttoned cuffs means that the jacket has functional buttons?

17. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Quote:I agree. If you are wearing that around the university and going out at night, you'll be fine. Once you get a job and need to dress professionally, you can worry about getting a perfect fit. While I do think the jacket is too short, young people such as yourself look a lot better in short jackets than oldies like me. It is indeed a good color.

1 person likes this.
  18. t44tq

t44tq New Member

19. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Wait a second... did I just post somthing on this forum that actually made some sense??? [​IMG]

Guess I'll have to stop by the shop tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  20. TheModernGent

TheModernGent New Member

Hey all, I'm considering buying a pair of boots like these and wearing them with dark slim jeans. Are these too "hipster"? If so what would be a more traditional alternative? Thanks![​IMG]

97A00GBRN_large.jpg