• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Tony Hubert

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum and have a quick question. I just bought this new RTW suit and had it tailored at several points. However, I have quite developed shoulder blades and the jacked fits too tight around the upper back. Do you think it would help if I let the center seam out? Or is there maybe another way to fix this. (I've checked and there is approx 1'' allowance left in the center seam). Thanks in advance.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

mp906

Reaction score
Hello all. After trying on several blazers/sport coats at places like BB Outlet, BR, JCrew, and Dillards, I am looking at ordering something on ebay. I've had good luck getting gently used Allen Edmonds on ebay, so I figure I'd try my luck at jackets. I am new to formal wear. I own a unknown brand MTM suit that I spent $500 on 8 years ago, have worn 4-5 times, but is very baggy everywhere and will probably get sold. I also own an Express suit that I paid $150 for that fits well (44r) except the shoulders are tight.

And that brings me to my question. I have an athletic build (Crossfiter). My chest measuers 44" but my shoulders are too big for 44R coats. My deltoids push out the material and I feel like I could rip the upper back out of most coats. So, I am looking at 46r coats, but so far they all fit huge in the body, especially waist area as I have a 34" waist.

Question: which brands have the slimmet fit/most drop? I almost bid on a Jack Victor but found a thread on here saying they were pretty loose fitting. I havent found much else on the forum as far at RTW brands. I am currently "watching" Canali, Zenga, Hickey Freeman, LRL, and Hugo Boss jackets on ebay, all size 46R. Thoughts?

thanks

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have an extreme V to the upper body then you are not going to find a good fit OTR.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello all.  After trying on several blazers/sport coats at places like BB Outlet, BR, JCrew, and Dillards, I am looking at ordering something on ebay.  I've had good luck getting gently used Allen Edmonds on ebay, so I figure I'd try my luck at jackets.  I am new to formal wear.  I own a unknown brand MTM suit that I spent $500 on 8 years ago, have worn 4-5 times, but is very baggy everywhere and will probably get sold.  I also own an Express suit that I paid $150 for that fits well (44r) except the shoulders are tight. 

And that brings me to my question.  I have an athletic build (Crossfiter).  My chest measuers 44" but my shoulders are too big for 44R coats.  My deltoids push out the material and I feel like I could rip the upper back out of most coats.  So, I am looking at 46r coats, but so far they all fit huge in the body, especially waist area as I have a 34" waist. 

Question: which brands have the slimmet fit/most drop?  I almost bid on a Jack Victor but found a thread on here saying they were pretty loose fitting.  I havent found much else on the forum as far at RTW brands.  I am currently "watching" Canali, Zenga, Hickey Freeman, LRL, and Hugo Boss jackets on ebay, all size 46R.  Thoughts?

thanks

Try Ralph Lauren Black Label- probably one of the largest drops OTR. Find them at barneys on sale, but they're still costly.

mp906

Reaction score
Thanks!

I am not a bodybuilder and do not consider my physique "extreme" by any means, so I was really hoping to find something OTR and have it tailored. Around my shoulders I measure 52", just above nipple line is 44" and just above naval is 34". I dont think I look far different in the torso than most of the models that these companies use!

I was thinking Italian stuff maybe since Americans cater to the overweight market?

I messaged this seller and they said the jacket is pulled in the middle to make the picture look better, lol. I might try it anyways.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261125872914?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Archimedes

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just a quick question about leather jackets (the search function is not working very well and I couldn't find a more relevant thread I'm afraid, so I apologize for the possible off-topic).
What do you guys think of the quality of Corneliani leather jackets? I know Corneliani is well regarded when it comes to suits but I couldn't find any relevant information on its leather jackets... Iam specifically interested in the Corneliani ID brand (which as I understand is more fashion-forward but compromises on quality. Don't know whether there are leather jackets on the mainline though)
Thanks in advance for you input and thoughts!

drumstick11

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I got this coat from my brother and I have no idea whatsoever what kind of shoes/boots I should pair it with (nothing formal/dressy). Could someone provide some example? Thanks! Pictures here (please disregard what I was wearing).

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking for a winter boot and this is what he wants to buy, would you guys recommend it?

7uperugy.jpg

ygege8e3.jpg

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I advised him not to because of the suede and sole but he doesn't want to believe me.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they are, I googled that term and they look exactly like that.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that they are called "desert boots" might help inform his choice. That said, crepe soles are actually pretty long wearing and suede does better in the wet than most people think, particularly if you use a protectant spray. I wouldn't want to be trudging around in the snow in those, though, and they won't be particularly warm. Are they even lined?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads