1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I was out shopping, earlier today. And at one point, I found myself standing right in front of a Johnston & Murphy store. Your post fresh in mind, I went in to specifically get a look, in person, at the Aragon II.

I think I found it. It was marked "Aragon," but it looked exactly like your pictures. I'm going to assume it was the Aragon II.

Forgive me if this sounds nasty, since that's not my intention, but if those shoes feel nicer and less plasticky than your Clarks Chilton Lace, the mind boggles at the suckfulness of the Clarks. :)

(Dagnabbit! I just realized that there was a Clarks store in the same shopping center as the Johnston & Murphy store. I could kick myself for not stopping by the Clarks store and seeing what the Chilton Lace shoes are actually like.)

But, once again, if the shoes appeal to you stylistically, and fit you well, go ahead and wear them. I wear various items which would receive little love here on SF (Brooks Madison fit suits, an Old Navy pea coat, corrected leather Bass Leavitt penny loafers, etc.), and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

2. 12345Michael54321

"I still felt like I could breathe with it on," might be the standard a cute 18 year old girl uses to determine if a pair of jeans fit her right, but despite Thom Browne's best efforts, the bar is set a mite higher when it comes to how a man's suit ought to fit.

1 person likes this.
  3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is the main point. I wear lots of things I wouldn't dare post here. I'm a poor academic and I get by with what I can afford, with an occasional splurge. Why let other people's opinion spoil your enjoyment of something for which you felt you got a good deal and which you like? Enjoy them and ignore the rest (and if you have a significant other who likes them, even better).

We should probably move on...

4. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

I forgot to ask this, and I hope you can respond. Since I'm not very knowledgeable about suits...I also seemed to admire the Brooks Brothers Milano line. Would that also fall into the same "fashion-victim stuff" you are talking about?

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I would say not nearly... nothing really "fashion-y" about those but personally I wouldn't kop at retail.

6. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

Of course not! I got my eye on the post-Christmas sale. I actually stopped by BB last week, but they didn't have the Milano line available in store. So I had to try the next best thing fit wise, and that was the Regent.

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Under my jacket poacket flaps there is often a slight imprint marking where the flap is (steaming seems to solve this, or a damp cloth). Does anyone store their suits with the pocket flaps inside the pocket to avoid this?

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Astrocyte,

That looks nice, but it's a country casual look to my mind. Don't wear it for a meeting with bankers, and I'd go with an odd jacket of some sort rather than a grey suit. If you want to mix in tan shoes with a suit, I'd suggest it's best with navy, or if grey, something with a stronger texture or pattern. Each to his own. Either way, the combination in your picture is inherently pleasant to look at by itself. So we'll call that a win. :)

Moon,

I don't know anything about Brooks Brothers really, and can't be bothered to look it up. So again, ignore the brand a minute: what does it look like? If it has very thin lapels, trousers that are as narrow as your jeans, unusual configurations of pockets or buttons, or a very low rise, then pass. You're young and slim and suits like that are definitely designed for you. But they're also designed in the knowledge that 23 year old guys are more susceptible to branding and what Ryan Gosling wore in that movie, than 43 year old guys. Ignore them! You will still be young, slim and handsome in a better suit. You'll just look more like a man to be taken seriously.

Oyster,

Don't whine. Go to "What Are You Wearing Right Now" if you want true brutality. I don't like your shoes - they are an outlandish design and of poor quality. But I am in no way impugning your character or essential value as a man. That fact that you even bothered to ask the question tells me that you're more self-respecting when it comes to style and quality than ninety per cent of men. It also tells me that, deep down, you know they were not a good buy. We've all done it, or come close to doing it (Moon with his suit above "but it's Burberry at 50% off!"), and I'm no less a fool when it comes to these things: not that long ago, I bought five pairs of shoes from Allen Edmonds because they were incredibly cheap (mostly also $99). In retrospect, had they not been that cheap, I'd have bought two of them. Maybe. Although they're all better than yours! Basically, the smart thing to do is to buy better, less often. I can't say I always practice what I preach, and if I could swap twenty pairs of my shoes for ten twice as good now, I probably would. It's just a good idea to keep that in mind when you can - whether or not you like kilties. Peace, and a warm welcome to you.

9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Guys, I'm about as much not a shoe connoisseur as it gets, but I'm all for slowly getting there. I think next year when I'm back in HK I might get some custom shoes made. In the meantime I was thinking of getting 2 pairs of low-mid range, more casual shoes/boots for rougher use in more casual settings (I suppose equivalent of business casual? But not really office environment). What's the general opinion of Dr Martens?

Something like this:

http://uk.drmartens.com/uk/Mens/Mens-Boots/Dr-Martens-Kenyon-Boot/p/14608002

http://uk.drmartens.com/uk/Mens/Mens-Boots/Dr-Martens-2976-Boot/p/15272001

I am expecting negative responses really, so my next question is, for someone in the UK, what would you suggest I look at in lieu of those, that fit a similar description.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. 12345Michael54321

That discussion of them is more suited to the Streetwear & Denim forum, than to Classic Menswear. Just saying, is all.

11. Waynethomas

Waynethomas New Member

I have one too. What is the best way to draft a coat pattern with the optimal arm scye depth: front scye, back scye or distance from base of scye to centre point (using a centre point cutting system)? And what other subsidiary arm scye measurements are essential?

Freestyle Motocross Pants

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

Isolation,

I don't dislike the look of DMs, but now they're all £100+, and there are so many "proper" shoes at that price, you should shop around. There are plenty of chukka and chelsea boots (the two styles you showed) about for that price or even less. For decent value, look at Loake or Barker, or shoes they make for the likes of Charles Tyrwhitt that are often on clearance.

In your shoes, so to speak, I would recommend www.herringshoes.co,uk or www.pediwear.co.uk You can search by size and style and find something you like. Get a goodyear welted boot, with a double leather or Dainite-type sole if you like a heavier look. I'd advise you not to go with a chelsea boot though: the elasticated sides and thick sole don't mix, as it will tend to pull off your heel as you walk, especially at the beginning.

Also, if you want a more casual style, black is harder to wear. Look at browns and tans, maybe brogued boots especially for the winter. They look fantastic with jeans too, while perfectly acceptable with a jacket and chinos.

Show us what you get. :)

Wayne,

Go to the tailoring thread. This is the thread where you get ill-informed amateur responses. That one's for the skilled professionals you need.

13. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Idk, I feel Doc Martens are best suited for women, but that's just me.

14. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

The jacket on the model is way too short and I would be surprised if it is much longer on you.

15. E TF

E TF Senior member

Try the cutter and tailor forum, http://www.cutterandtailor.com/

16. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks!

Yeah I did suspect that guys here are more interested in slightly more dressy shoes/styles, but like I'm more familiar with these forums generally speaking. Thanks for your advice, I'll look into those, and post if I end up getting something.

I was just going with DMs before because they have a standard of quality that I am familiar with and can trust. I've only recently been upgrading my wardrobe, so I'm wary of going into unknown territory, that's why I went with them as my safe choices. Obviously I'd be happy to look at better alternatives, so thanks for your suggestions.

Something like these?
    http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2861.php
    http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2518.php

Honestly, I am fairly clueless about shoes, or how to judge their quality (that, and ties, but I'm going to work on my shoes first I think). I wonder if there are any quick resources to getting into higher tier shoes? I HAVE looked at a bunch of shoe threads, and I think I can appreciate a good shoe, and I've picked up some sense of what's good and what's not, etc, but some more precise style/matching/etiquette guides/articles would be great if you can point me to a direction.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  17. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

Loake is a good choice, the 200 line, however is not - the leather is corrected grain. Have a look at the Loake 1880 series, which has full grain leather.

Also, a black loafer doesn't make sense as a shoe, as black is a highly formal color for shoes and loafer is an informal shoe. If you want a loafer go for brown or burgundy. If you want a highly formal shoe, go for a black cap toe oxford.

This illustration may be useful as well, but do take not of the note on it: http://i.imgur.com/2XNzY.png

Edit: Just read that you are looking for a casual shoe. Therefore rule out black and go for brown or burgundy in brogue and/or suede. Have a look at the Loake 1880s, I'm sure you'll find a shoe you like there. If you're looking for slightly cheaper options, but still full grain leather, you can also have a look at http://meermin.es/catalogo.php?id=1

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  18. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Hey, thanks, I've been checking those out. Nice.

The thing is I mostly wear medium gray, charcoal and black suits/trousers (black hair goes okay with black I think, and I usually wear them at night), and I understand that brown doesn't go well with those? Actually what DOES go with brown shoes?

I mean when I say casual I mean a dressy kind of casual like celebratory events, parties, the like, usually at night and so on, if that makes sense, so I get to wear bolder, sharper colors, and since I don't really wear jeans on those occasions, I don't know how easily I can use brown. I understand black is seen as a really boring choice (and basically taboo for trousers/suits), but it's the color I generally work with along with gray.

19. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Gentlemen:
    [​IMG]
    Opinions? Seems to me like a piece I can wear both casually and with dark slacks + tie.

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Not at all. Milano is a traditionally styled suit cut a bit slimmer and with proportionately slimmer lapels. The trousers have a bit lower rise than other BB cuts. You will not wear the same size in BB Milano that you wear in a more traditional fit like Madison.