• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

red81

Reaction score
as a follow up to my earlier question, is there an sf approved linen retailer (preferrably brick and mortar in chicago , or online)? shopping for an outfit for a wedding in february in the caribbean.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
I have several pairs of flat front everyday type trousers, a couple pairs that I recently purchased I had done with cuff. When they get home from the cleaners they have finished them with a fold along the seat as opposed to along a crease line that a pleated pant would have. I looked at this cuff all day and it is so sloppy it just pissed me off. Any ideas? Should I ask my dry cleaners to finish/fold differently? Thanks in advance, RCC.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have several pairs of flat front everyday type trousers, a couple pairs that I recently purchased I had done with cuff. When they get home from the cleaners they have finished them with a fold along the seat as opposed to along a crease line that a pleated pant would have. I looked at this cuff all day and it is so sloppy it just pissed me off. Any ideas? Should I ask my dry cleaners to finish/fold differently? Thanks in advance, RCC.

hate to say it, but you should probably find a new dry cleaner.

i have thankfully never had that happen to me, but i have seen it happen to my brother, who uses a different dry cleaned than i do. you can bring them the pants, and remind them every time to crease them like dress pants, not casual pants, and that you want a crease going down the front of the leg. they will probably do it right if you tell them every time, but a dry cleaner that cant figure that out on its own is suspect in my opinion.

in better news, its highly unlikely that the pants are ruined, just in need of a new press.

good luck. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no probs, it was my pleasure.

hope it all works out ok.

Binny

Reaction score
Hello, I just want to post this here too, in case anyone else is reading. I make a thread in Men's Clothing looking for any recommended suit brand with 8-10" drop (big chest but narrow waist), I can spend $1000 a suit maybe. Possibly this called European Cut, I hear? Any one able to help? Thank you.

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Hello, I just want to post this here too, in case anyone else is reading. I make a thread in Men's Clothing looking for any recommended suit brand with 8-10" drop (big chest but narrow waist), I can spend $1000 a suit maybe. Possibly this called European Cut, I hear? Any one able to help? Thank you.
I believe "European cut" refers to overseas makers typically have a slimmer, more fitted silhouette compared to a traditional, boxier "American cut". At that price point, you may want to look into MTM. Caruso has a few offerings with drop 8 iirc. If you are content with skinnier lapels, BB Fitzgerald or Regent suits might fit the bill.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simply tell them that you prefer a crease. Shouldn't be a problem. What they did is not necessarily make a 'wrong' choice, as many people do prefer casual trou uncreased.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
Hi all,

Could you please tell me where I could buy some suit/jacket/trousers fabrics online? EU websites preferred for customs reasons.

Many thanks for your help as I have had quite a hard time to find anything at all.

Paul

Zack Fowler

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of winter boots that I can wear around campus through some light rain and snow. I've been browsing SF and have been falling in love with wingtip boots, especially the AE Daltons. I don't have $300+ to drop on a pair of boots right now, though. What are some alternative choices for wingtip boots that I can wear in mild winter weather around campus that wont run me past $200?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a pair of winter boots that I can wear around campus through some light rain and snow.  I've been browsing SF and have been falling in love with wingtip boots, especially the AE Daltons.  I don't have $300+ to drop on a pair of boots right now, though.  What are some alternative choices for wingtip boots that I can wear in mild winter weather around campus that wont run me past $200? 

Thanks guys!

Florsheim Gaffney - $140.00
Mike Konos Wingtip - $150.00

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a pair of winter boots that I can wear around campus through some light rain and snow.  I've been browsing SF and have been falling in love with wingtip boots, especially the AE Daltons.  I don't have $300+ to drop on a pair of boots right now, though.  What are some alternative choices for wingtip boots that I can wear in mild winter weather around campus that wont run me past $200? 

Thanks guys!

You can find AE boots for $200 or less from the shoe bank.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of AE, has anyone been to the AE outlet in Ohio (Tanger Outlets)? Is it worth a trip?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads