1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

That looks ridiculous. Just laughable.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Haha thanks guys. Can't win em all. Sometimes you just gotta try something out.

Re: the Nantucket reds in November. I'm not interested in spending all fall and winter looking like I'm in mourning! Color is good, besides I think it compliments the fall colors well.

4. ridethecliche

You're all jealous because you didn't think of it first.

:p

5. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I will say this...it doesnt matter if you have the approval of anyone else, people on this forum respond to what is stylish now. Styles change for all I know you could be the first...if somebody doesn't set the trend then we all might still be wearing powdered wigs.

This is where someone comments about the necessity of powered wigs in an era without indoor plumbing...yada yada yada. My point is someone has to go out on the limb to create change. Good for you trying something new.

All that being said if you are the first I won't be the second.

6. sithjedi333

sithjedi333 Member

What goes with a black blazer?

I got a custom blazer at the fabric mart in Shanghai, it was supposed to be navy but they made it black instead. What can I pair it with to salvage this situation?

Thanks.

7. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

It's not the color as much as the principle. I like color as much as the next guy; in fall I wear oranges, rust, yellow, hunter; in winter purple, pink, bright green.

GTH pants, or real Nantucket Reds are just warm weather wear for me. Just like I wouldn't wear a navy and white nautical stripe polo, linen, Seersucker, or Madras even though the colors may be fallish (Autumnal?).

I have a beautiful Madras vest in a more fall color scheme than the one in my avatar pic, which I might wear into late September, but that's as far as I would push it.

J

8. ridethecliche

To be honest... I'll probably be doing it again if I'm wearing a solid shirt, tie, and sweater. It would be a little too much if anything was patterned, except maybe the tie.

Get them to make you the one you ordered...

I let the weather dictate what I wear. Sure I probably wouldn't wear a white linen blazer at this time of year, but if it was a warmer day I might be tempted. I think the blazer I'm wearing today is a black/white linen base. I forgot my tie, but I'm wearing it with a black shirt, gray khakis, and brown boots.

If it works wear it is how I go about it. Seasonal things are just ploys to get people to buy more clothes. If I want or need a color in my wardrobe, I'll get it, but I'm not going to let an ad tell me that.

I definitely get where you're coming from. I'm also in boston, so the nantucket red thing might be a harder rule to break here than elsewhere, but that's the thing about rules... sometimes they're fun to break.

I've also worn bow ties with half sleeve 'oxfords' so there is that. I'm not going to win any traditionalist points with most of what I wear. A doctor laughingly told me that my halloween costume last week was to dress normally. This is all fun for me. Hard fast rules... not so much. I'm also a really goofy person in general, so it can work.

Obviously, I have the sense to not go wearing something like that to a job interview!

My mom used to work for benetton growing up, so maybe some of this is inspired by them. They do a lot of funky stuff.

:)

9. loarbmhs

loarbmhs Senior member

It's "complements the fall colors" not "compliments the fall colors."

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I say...steady on!

11. ridethecliche

Thanks. Wasn't paying attention to the input via swype. That's what I get for posting on my phone!

12. loarbmhs

loarbmhs Senior member

Thanks for being such a good sport about it!

13. ridethecliche

Maybe I wanted to compliment the fall colors too?

"Hello Mr. Tree. My your leaves are a mighty fine hue this morning!"

As an aside: Every time I see the word complement, I think of immunology...

14. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Hey, I've worn some pretty outrageous stuff myself, so if it makes you happy, go for it.

At least you aren't a hipster.

Here is a pic from this Saturday in a dive bar I ended up in with the fellas, so I am surely not afraid to stand out in a crowd.

[​IMG]

J

15. ridethecliche

Haha I have some supposedly hipster tendencies ;)

16. ridethecliche

Okay, so real question.

Chambray shirts...
    New fad? Shirt staple? Recycled from vintage?

I really like how it looks and I think it would look great with certain ties and even when paired with a suit.

I'm also interested to see if the fabric/idea has some significance or history behind it.

Thanks!

17. E TF

E TF Senior member

If you put "chambray" into the search box and then click "threads" in the results, you will find this and this as the top two results, which you may find interesting reading.

18. ridethecliche

Thanks!

I really love how the fabric can seem to change color with angle. I saw a red chambray tie that was really eye catching!

19. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

X-post from Suitsupply thread, but though I'd ask here too

Quote:

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Both are versatile colors--the question is going to be which is most versatile with your wardrobe, which only you can answer.