1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

There are so many of these out there. It's not an uncommon shoe. Allen edmonds has merlot shoes that will fit the bill. I think there's a webgem sale on them too unless that was last month. Regardless, they have a few of them.

2. TobiasM

TobiasM Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for thrift shops around DC?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. adamt

adamt Senior member

Besides a black Peacoat, what is a stylish coat to wear to work, mid-thigh length maximum, in black, worn with suit and shoes for the office
    im 28

i don't want a long coat

4. ridethecliche

You could start by wearing something not black like navy or grey or even khaki.

Do you wear black suits every day?

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Grey is a nice colour, and stands out because black car coats are pretty common. I have one, and like it, and a black trench, but I also have a mid-calf bugatti charcoal overcoat that I absolutely love (was my grandfather's; can't afford bugatti :p)

But, if you want black, I've been mostly happy with my mid-thigh Perry Ellis car coat (it's black, and I like it; nothing wrong with black). It was a gift, but I don't think it's a very expensive brand. The stitching of the zipper has come off a bit, so about the bottom 1.5" of it is detached on one side, but that's likely more because I sit down with it closed, and have worn it behind the bench, so climbing up and down from the bench to the floor bends the coat like sitting, and happens dozens of times per game.

My next overcoat, I think I want a grey herringbone knee length.

6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

This reminds me. The charcoal, mid-calf length coat I mention above, has a turndown collar, like on a shirt. Is it formal enough to wear with morning dress? White tie? Black Tie?

7. CLiang

CLiang Active Member

Hello,

So I am a newbie on men shoes. I just hit 20 and want to start learning about real men shoes. I have been search the whole google website and styleforum about where A. Testoni shoes are made from. I have read that it was made from Italy or Morocco. However, the website I am looking at which is Myhabit.com. It shows that it was made either in Romania or Hungary. Does it mean that they are fake or of lower quality?

It is also called "testoni BASIC Milford Oxford" which I cannot find anywhere through the internet except Myhabit.com

8. adamt

adamt Senior member

I only thought about black as it seems to most 'office suitable' with my black shoes
    i have a navy suit and a charcoal grey suit.
    i do think a grey looks quite nice but i thought a black coat would go better with both suits

i looked at a car coat but im not too keen on the lack of design

is a pea coat too much for 'to work/office' wear?

Any other recommended styles of coats for 'to work' wear?

9. ridethecliche

How much does that really matter as long as you don't come in wearing a bright orange sweatshirt?

If it looks formal-ish, then you're fine right? You're not wearing this thing during the day at work.

I think peacoat's look fine with a suit but the fit might be challenging.

10. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I love barrel coats, but not with a suit. With a suit I would wear a long coat.

J

11. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

What kind of collar does this topcoat have? That is, what is the technical name for this style of collar?

[​IMG]

12. ridethecliche

Today I wore a tie over a sweater on purpose. Yes, I said it.

I'll have to post a picture later to see what y'all think, but I actually thought it worked because of the color scheme.

13. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

No need to post the picture. It didn't work.

2 people like this.
  14. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Speaking if things that don't work. Lately I've seen a couple fellows around town sporting pocket squares in their shirt pockets. Please tell me this isn't a thing.

15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It's a thing. It's just not a good thing.

But at least it's better than saggin'. That's a thing, too. A thing to be avoided.

16. adamt

adamt Senior member

so besides a peacoat, is there any other suitable style coats that look stylish?

17. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. ridethecliche

I'm pretty critical of how I dress and try not to look ridiculous without intending to. Although I totally forgot to wear a tie this morning...
    In any event, I wore this with tortoise shell glasses.

Pass or fail?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Nantucket Reds in November, cuffs, collar, and tie outside sweater?

Is this a real question?

J

1 person likes this.
  20. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

My two cents. I really don't like the tie over the sweater as a stand alone look, when I saw it with the jacket it looked better. Now to be honest I believe it looked better because it looked like a green shirt with a white collar. At closer range I am afraid I did not find it appealing...not repulsive but none the less not the best look.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013