1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Usually, I wear a suit. If it's a matinee performance, maybe a sport coat. If it's a performance which is specifically intended to be markedly casual - you know, like something performed in the park, while the audience enjoys their picnic lunches - I might go in chinos and an OCBD.

Different horses for different courses, as the saying goes.

But typically, if it's a professional performance, in a theater, in the evening, I'll wear a suit.

The traditional rule was that pinstriped suits were for business, and not for social events.

This rule has lost much of its influence, at least in the United States. (I cannot speak as to the rest of the western world.) I've attended any number of social events (concerts, charity fundraisers, weddings, etc.) where some men were wearing pinstripe suits, and I found nothing wrong with how they were dressed, nor did anybody else appear to be interested in making any sort of issue of it. Modern society being what it is, just seeing a man wear a suit to a social event is a pleasant surprise, deducting points for wearing a pinstriped suit is simply unreasonable.

This having been said, I typically choose to wear a non-pinstripe suit to social events. But hey, I'm a dinosaur. And even I don't disapprove when other men violate this shadow of a rule; I just don't care to violate it, myself. (Same way that some men may not object to the next guy wearing dress loafers with a suit, even though they tend not to do it, themselves.)

And let me ask, if wearing a pinstripe suit to the play were to make you look like you just came from work, what's wrong with that? I get how on Downton Abbey, the Dowager Countess of Grantham may look down upon people who have to work for a living, and regard them as her social inferiors, but in the real world, circa 2013, I don't believe there's much stigma attached to being employed. Moreover, if your pinstripe suit makes you look like you came to the play from work, well, at least it suggests that you work in one of those jobs where one is still expected to wear a suit. You know, something socially acceptable, like lawyer, funeral director, or suit salesman. :)

2 people like this.
  2. CoolNickname

CoolNickname Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. azumi

azumi Senior member

Surprisingly I realise that I have no black oxford or derby shoes left because I gave two black oxford pairs for my friends as gifts and now I'm going to an interview. I have only two black pairs in wardrobe but one is a Chelsea boot and the last one is a plain toe single monkstrap shoes. But I still have a few lace up shoes such as a dark brown cap toe oxford and a burgundy full brogue derby (apart from several double, single brown, tan monkstrap and brown, burgundy boots).

Do I have to stick with black shoes to the interview (if I must, whether my plain toe single monkstrap can do the job when combines with a dark navy subtle stripes suit), or I can wear my cap toe brown shoes or wingtip burgundy derby with the same suit?

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Quote:I don't think I can answer that for you, but it would help others if you tell us what industry, and city, the interview is in.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  5. azumi

azumi Senior member

Yes Sir, it's an interview for construction management job, will take place in Korea, I heard that Korean pay a lot of attention to appearance.

6. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Thanks for the input -- I viewed it as a classic design but its from a designer that is known for being more trendy. For the price of the tux, it better last me a long time and I was making sure I wasn't being blinded by branding.

7. Camilo

Camilo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is an old pic from Pitti Uomo 2011 but I was wondering if anyone knew the brand of cargo pants these are. In lieu of a brand name, I particularly like both the design and color so if anyone knows a similar cargo pant regardless of brand, that would be nice.

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

If I have to go straight to the theatre from the office, I make sure not to wear pinstripes that day. Problem solved.

9. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Please see here: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/0...s-for-15-months-ok-healthwise-at-least-study/
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/canadian-student-josh-le-year-washing-jeans/story?id=12722442&page=1

10. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Thanks much, I work in a European auto repair shop, so I change into uniforms.

My main goal is for it to be understood that I want to look like this, not that I have to look like this.

J

11. TeeJayEe

TeeJayEe Member

Ok hopefully the right thread for this.

I have an interview at a well known London Ad Agency in a couple of weeks, and want to make sure I'm looking appropriate. Just wanted to get some thoughts on the fit of my suit. It's a DKNY OTR, does it need alterations, if so, what?

Apologies for the somewhat sub standard picture, was struggling to get a decent shot with my phone.

Thanks

[​IMG]

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think the pant leg is a little long and the sleeves on the coat are a little short. I think you need to have the pants hemmed a little.

As for the sleeve length, if there's a tighter button, I would use that, otherwise maybe use a shirt with a slightly shorter sleeve. It looks okay, but you're showing a bit too much shirt cuff methinks.

The jacket looks a little small too judging by the bracing when the button's closed. It's not unreasonable though.

Overall, I think it looks good. Just need to get those couple of things sorted out if you want it to look like it was made for you.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. TeeJayEe

TeeJayEe Member

Great stuff, agree on all fronts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Are you wearing cufflinks to your interview?

15. TeeJayEe

TeeJayEe Member

No, I'll wear a white barrel cuff buttoned shirt, I just happened to be wearing a french cuff in that photo.

16. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Most likley Cucinelli, seen as they are all Cucinelli workers. However, lots of Italian makers are doing that style as it's very popular here in Italy at the moment.

17. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

+1.

18. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I think the shirt might be simply too big. How much room is between your collar and neck? Looks like a ton.

Looks almost like the shoulders of the jacket are too big and the body too tight. Does it look better unbuttoned?

*edit* Just saw you say that you weren't wearing that shirt to the interview. That'll teach me to reply before reading all.

J

19. TeeJayEe

TeeJayEe Member

Yeah it's a touch large, I need to get a new shirt anyway so I'll get one that fits.

It looks ok unbuttoned, I wouldn't say better though. It's interesting you note the shoulders though, I have kinda broad shoulders but am incredibly (almost embarassingly so) slim. So if anything, the result is usually the opposite.

20. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Gotcha, so maybe you really are that shape. I usually lean up against a door frame to see if the the jacket shoulder or my shoulder hits first.

Regardless, once you get the sleeves sorted, it will look fine.

J