1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

The mantra is, you can never have enough white and light blue shirts.
    So that's where I'd start with a business wardrobe.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

You need a plain white OCBD, and a plain white dress shirt. A plain blue dress shirt is also recommended. You still need to dress up every now and again, best to be prepared.

3. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

I need a few new pairs of dress shoes and I'd like some with commando type soles, or at least a good all weather sole. Any brands to look at in the 300 or so dollar range?

4. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

Isn't white and OCBD a contradiction?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Nonsense. Hell, I'm wearing one right now. They go with almost literally anything short of formalwear.

6. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

I thought formal is precisely what the color white is for.

7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

White goes with formal wear, but button down doesn't.

8. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Approximately how much length can be added to the pants by using the cuff material and the material underneath the hem?

The pants in question have a 1.5'' cuff height and about 1'' material underneath the hem.

Thanks!

9. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Assuming you keep the 1" under hem, you theoretically have approximately 3" allowance (1.5" cuff doubled).

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

White also goes with everything else. It's not exclusive to formal settings. But OCBDs don't work with a tuxedo.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Okay, thank you guys! I am going to order some white shirts.

12. jnash85

jnash85 New Member

I need recommendations on a bow tie. I will be wearing a dark grey suit with either a light blue or white shirt. Brown or black shoes.

13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

With.a white shirt, almost anything. With light blue, navy and burgundy are safe. Yellow is bolder but can work well. Solid or pattern; you are keeping it plain everywhere else.

14. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Thank you!

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Cole Haan are not in the same league. Just don't.

For $3-400 the world is your oyster. AE are decent enough, and if you hit the sales and seconds you could probably get two pairs for that most of the time. For $400 you can look at Cheaney, Church's, some Alfred Sargeant, even Tricker's in the sale, or go cheaper with Barker or Loake for some impressive value. Easy international-friendly e-tailers are herringshoes.co.uk, pediwear.co.uk (I've used both), and shoehealer.co.uk. Also check out Vass (vass-cipo.hu) and Carmina (carminashoemaker.com) - read the respective threads - for incredible shoes in the $4-600 bracket. If you want to try and buy from within the US, Vass are now sold by nomanwalksalone.com and Carmina by epaulet.com - both NY-based affiliate vendors with links to your right.

As for your selection of styles, it seems pretty sensible: black captoes for never-wrong business dress, also works for evening and other more formal occasions. Brown/tan wingtips for a more casual suit look, but easy and stylish with jeans/chinos. As are double-monks, the favourite child of the i-gent generation. Although I don't love them, personally. An alternative might be a chukka boot with Dainite sole to have something more robust and casual, or perhaps a suede half-brogue that's smart enough for a sports jacket but laid back enough for jeans.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  16. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

Hence, why the combination of both makes no sense.

17. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

White goes with formal wear, as well as with everything else.

2 people like this.
  18. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

19. Amine

Amine Member

Hello !

I am currently rebuilding my wardrobe and i was curious to ask .... Anybody knows a suitmaker that can make fully canvassed suits, overcoats and shirts in the price range of $700-$1000 ?

20. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Ignore that thread. It's a giant joke that most of us roll our eyes at.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013