• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
Who will join in posting quick pictures or links on twitter under hashtags #WAYWRN or #whatareyouwearingrightnow? Second hashtag is to explain to none forumees.

A lot of us use twitter quite a bit as is quick when moving about, as I do seeing clients, and have no time to go through forums but love seeing some good inspiration to the craft.

Sound good?

FugueMeister

Reaction score
You guys think these can successively be worn without looking like I'm about to start trekking the Pyrenees?
Went home over the past weekend and found them in the bottom of my closet. From 2002, when they
were still stitching these tough pups in England. I'll wear them regardless this winter as they're great boots and still look good, but I'm in need
of a second opinion as to whether they can be sported with something like a pair of slim fitting jeans and an ocdb without looking like an ad from Dick's Sporting Goods...

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You guys think these can successively be worn without looking like I'm about to start trekking the Pyrenees?
Went home over the past weekend and found them in the bottom of my closet.  From 2002, when they
 were still stitching these tough pups in England.  I'll wear them regardless this winter as they're great boots and still look good, but I'm in need
of a second opinion as to whether they can be sported with something like a pair of slim fitting jeans and an ocdb without looking like an ad from Dick's Sporting Goods...

lol those are huge especially compared to boots I've been looking at from AE lately.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went home over the past weekend and found them in the bottom of my closet.  From 2002, when they
 were still stitching these tough pups in England.  I'll wear them regardless this winter as they're great boots and still look good, but I'm in need
http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/541794/

No.

As an aside, anyone know who makes sportcoats for JPress now? Looking for a three pocket patch blazer and they seem to be one of only a few to carry them.

dena

Reaction score

What color trousers do you think goes best with this SC? Was thinking charcoal but I'd figure going charcoal/charcoal combo in a different pattern/texture wouldnt work right.

Stevey6404

Reaction score
If I get my suit waist taken in by 0.5-1 inches, would it make the suit hip width smaller (the bottom part of the suit)? Or does it depend on how the tailor cuts it?

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
It may be influenced by waist with some tailors but it is the seat measurement (around the bum and hips) that determine how much room you have in the jacket bottom. If this is looking big in current off pegs or past tailored suits then a competent tailor can cut or alter it so it is less roomy.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I find the thread that people post their suits and readers comment on the fit? Thanks

clotheshound

Reaction score
Question about 80's jackets

Guys, when I was a young man, single, fresh out of university in the early 1980's, earning a good salary, I bought what was cool at the time. And what was cool was what I saw on TV and on the big screen....... Miami Vice and Richard Gere in American Gigolo. Those three men, Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas, and Richard Gere defined for me what I needed to look like to be a chick magnet. LOL !
So I bought alot of pieces with that distinctive 80's look. Low Gorge, Very low button stance, and very baggy fit. I have some Armani, Boss, and Parachute pieces. I don't wear them any more, just keep them around for sentimental purposes. Life back then was far simpler when all you had to worry about was where the next party was, what you were going to wear, and what women you could pick up.
So my question is... Does anyone foresee at any time in the next 50 years when this 80's style could return?
I hate to just throw this stuff out. I could give the stuff to my 21 year old son in the event that the stuff becomes trandy again.
What do you think?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anything's possible. And an interesting enough question that it deserves its own thread IMO (and perhaps broadened beyond the 80s).

I could see low gorges coming back...the low button stance and baggy fits...well...less likely, but of course possible.

And ultimately, it'll depend on how well they fit your son if/whenever those styles do come back.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone foresee at any time in the next 50 years when this 80's style could return?

Could be. Fashion is pretty cyclical. Although I think it more likely that eventually styles more or less reminiscent of those of the '80s - but not necessarily identical to those of the '80s - will be in fashion again.

I hate to just throw this stuff out.  I could give the stuff to my 21 year old son in the event that the stuff becomes trandy again.
Let me see if I've got this straight - you have various suits which by current sensibilities look terrible. You've already had them for 30 years. But you don't think you've gotten your money's worth from the Don Johnson threads, or you have fond memories of wearing them while doing lines of coke with Debbie Harry at CBGB circa 1983, or whatever, so you're asking whether you ought to hold onto them, or maybe give them to your son, on the chance that perhaps by the time he's ready to collect Social Security (assuming it still exists in the latter half of the 21st century, but let's not get all political here) he'll be able to dress in such a way as to pick up hot babes at happening parties?

What do you think?
I think you should sell your cool '80s clothing (local consignment shop, vintage clothing boutique, eBay, whatever), and use the money you receive to buy your 21 year old son a classically tailored Brooks Brothers navy blazer. Heck, buy yourself one, too. Then your blazer will immediately take on sentimental value, since it'll be a father/son bonding thing.

Nothing in life or fashion is guaranteed, but I do know that the classic navy blazer I bought in the early '80s looked fine then (not "awesome, Miami Vice fine," but it was entirely satisfactory when worn in all sorts of situations), and it could be worn today to nearly as many places without being at all inappropriate, and I bet it'll still be an unobjectionable example of classic men's fashion for years to come. (Honesty forces me to admit that I got rid of the blazer some time ago, due to my having gained some weight as I aged, but right now I have a BB navy blazer in my closet which is near identical to the one I bought in the early '80s, save for being in a larger size.)[/quote]

If it really bothers you when a 30 year old piece of clothing is no longer fashionable, you need to buy only the most classic, traditional styles. Since while even they can change over time, they tend to change much more slowly than most. (Mind you, plenty of men don't mind buying a new wardrobe on a regular basis. If those men want to buy stylish, "in fashion" clothing, so be it. It's not to my taste, but I strongly defend their right to spend their money on whatever pleases them.)
--
Michael

Last edited:

Lucas7

Reaction score
Do you guys have an idea which brand this is?
(This label is shown when rolling the sleeve of the dress shirt)

JBMarce21

Reaction score
can anyone help me with sizing for maison martin margiela sneakers? I wear an 8 in vans classics, 10 in creative recreation, 9 in nike free, 7 uk in crockett & jones, carmina and meermin. if anyone knows it would be much appreciated, or if i could be directed to the appropriate thread

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cannot find the pocket square thread so ask here: Is there a online stockist for ready made, easily accessible pocket squares? I can only found Sam Hober and Kent Wang, but I want my PS to be about 17".

Current is 14" in a patterned silk (see photo below). I am looking to fill the other varieties i.e. solid colors like a white PS. The current one I picked up at a local NS Rack for a steal so very happy with it. I just think a 12" will sink into my chest pocket as the 14" does every now and then if not folded correctly. I personally prefer the puff or just tossing a silk PS in very quickly (14" silk PS still tends to flatten out and slide into the pocket, disappearing after awhile). I would like the PS to hold its "shape" and I think size matters here.

Thoughts?

FWIW I had an event and did not have a white PS so was SOL. The current PS photoed would not have paired well with a navy suit, white shirt, and pin-dot burgundy tie.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a online stockist for ready made, easily accessible pocket squares? I can only found Sam Hober and Kent Wang, but I want my PS to be about 17".

I believe The Tie Bar offers its silk pocket squares in two sizes, the larger of which is 16"x16". That close enough? Anyway, I think they're $12 each in the large size, so if you order one and it turns out you don't care for it, you'll not be out much money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads