1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Off the rack

Ready to wear

But yeah, same meaning.

2. OTM

OTM Senior member

I like it! Throw on a navy sport coat and you'll get away with a little fun in the chest pocket!

3. tanky

tanky New Member

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Buy a pack of 5 or 10. White handkerchiefs are as fundamental a staple as socks or underwear.

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

http://www.alterationsmaster.com/

1 person likes this.
  6. DapBOT

DapBOT Member

Question, being 6'5 46L what should I be looking for in regards to suit cuts? Slim? Classic? Trim? And where would I be able to find such suits since it seems no one carries 46L :(

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Sorry, you really will have to try them on to decide.

And it's not true that "no one carries 46L." While admittedly not as super-popular a size as, say, 42R, it's certainly not terribly difficult to find. That you seem to believe otherwise leads me to ask just where you've been shopping for suits.

8. DapBOT

DapBOT Member

Well I did do the whole MWH experience where I did find my size ended up returning the same day after reading many threads on them here. Then the hunt started. I saw myself at Kohls, Marshall's, BR, J.Crew, Express' Zaras, H&M and even Macy's. all the SA said the same thing, please check our "online store" now I am all for online shopping but not as a first time buyer. I felt a bit overwhelm with it all. I know there are numerous of stores that carry my size but I was also looking on a budget.

9. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I would go to those stores and try on different styles and cuts, and bring a friend to take pictures, so you can look at them a few different times. Once you figure our what kind of fit looks good on you, look for a big and tall store (try searching for big and tall threads, and start one if you do not find one) and, if you are on a budget, keep a keen eye out for sales. What is your price range? That will help people to send you to the right place. And let people know whether it is a case of looking for the best value, or truly a budget with a hard cap. As with anything, those are different searches. You might try asking in the Hierarchical Suit thread. Be prepared to ignore one or two jokers who will tell you to double your budget or not bother. Most people on there are pretty good and many are extremely knowledgable across the price spectrum. Happy hunting.

10. 12345Michael54321

In general (exceptions exist), you'll do better going to a menswear store for a suit, than you will going to a department store like Kohl's, Marshall's, etc. Particularly if you're an inexperienced suit shopper.

For all that Jos. A. Bank comes in for some serious dislike on SF, I'd probably recommend it above Kohl's or Marshall's, most days. And probably 75% of the population of the US is within an hour's travel time of a JAB store.

Could you give us some idea where you're located? Store suggestions for someone living near NYC will differ from suggestions for someone living in central Montana. And an idea of how much you are willing to spend on a suit?

I'm afraid that's not unexpected, nor is it necessarily a bad idea.

Just make sure the returns process is really easy. Ordering a few suits by mail, when you know that you can return what you don't want to a local store, really isn't something you need avoid. I mean, buying from that local store would be even better, but sometimes that's just not realistic.

11. DapBOT

DapBOT Member

Ty for the reply. I am in the San Francisco area and I am trying to aim for a cheap to a $400 suit. I am all new to this world and finding my likes and dislikes everyday :)

12. panyen

panyen Active Member

What socks should I wear with this combination of checked pants and shoes?

[​IMG]

What socks should I wear with this combination of checked pants and shoes? Would prefer suggestions for a pattern / stripe / color that will be easy to find. Only spent $19 on the shoes so don't want to spend much on the socks. :D

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm looking for a pair of plain black blucher style boots that don't break the bank (200-300ish?). I'd like some stitching on there if possible, but not a cap toe.

I have a pair I like that are nice, but the quality is so-so and I'm not going to try fixing them or having them fixed up at this point. I might be tempted to if the store won't take them back.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking along the lines of the Frye James or philip.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Absolutely love the look of one on the left! Where are these from?

15. 12345Michael54321

panyen, it's been said that a businessman matches his socks to his pants, while a gentleman matches his socks to his mood.

Today's Halloween, and I'm in a mood to recognize this fact. I'm wearing burnt orange socks with my medium grey suit.

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

They're both frye boots. I might have to get the one on the left. It fits all my criteria and their stuff is awesome.

The left is the frye james and right is the frye philip. I think they have different versions of each one with lugged soles vs leather soles vs brown leather vs distressed leather, etc. Those are the combinations I like best because they can look professional while still take a beating and go well with jeans for a night out!

17. panyen

panyen Active Member

Here's a picture that shows the color of the shoes more accurately:

It looks okay without socks, but I'm hoping I can wear this to the office in the future, in which case I would need sensible socks. The yellowish-tan ones I'm wearing now don't cut it.

[​IMG]

18. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Thanks for your reply, I cant see a gray ocbd looking good with much besides jeans.

I'd wear a lilac/lavender ocbd before a gray ocbd anyday.

19. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

This might be a blessing in disguise, but I recently had the majority of my slacks and shirts stolen from my car as I was planning to take them to the dry cleaners. Anyways, been lurking around here, and it seems a lot of people are not fans of what I usually shop at. Business Casual clothes usually come from Kenneth Cole and Banana Republic.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not looking to necessarily spend 100 dollars per shirt. I don't have that kind of money. With that being said, I've always gone by what fits me best. I found the BR Tailored Slim pants fit well on me, and the Kenneth Cole shirts do as well.

But yeah, advice on some starter brands would be appreciated!

20. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Try Modern Tailor.

There's nothing wrong with Banana Republic on sale, (of which they have many).

Brooks Brothers has a 3 for $225 deal on dress shirts, as well as a biannual Friends and Families sale where most stuff goes on sale for 25% off.