Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I have Irish Linen Baldessarini suit - the jacket seems to be longer than regular wool suit jackets by 2 inches - is it supposed to be this way as to accomodate creases?
    No.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Good morning SF. Do you all think these J-Crew Suede MacAlister boots are authentic? They may be outlet versions of the shoes because the seller has multiple pairs all going for 65.00 instead of the retail 135.00. Thank you in advance and thanks for the past advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-J-CREW-Sued...QQcmdZViewItem

J Crew footwear is not exactly high-quality or highly sought after. It's unlikely anyone is going to be counterfeiting it.

3. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Senior member

J Crew footwear is not exactly high-quality or highly sought after. It's unlikely anyone is going to be counterfeiting it.

+1

4. Motorsport226

Good morning SF. Do you all think these J-Crew Suede MacAlister boots are authentic? They may be outlet versions of the shoes because the seller has multiple pairs all going for 65.00 instead of the retail 135.00. Thank you in advance and thanks for the past advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-J-CREW-Sued...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, If I were you I would look into the Allen Edmonds Calhoun boot. JCrew shoe quality is below average at best. Yea you might be getting a good deal on them, but in a few months when they wear like shit, you'll wish you had spent a few more bucks for a much better boot.

The Calhoun is on the Allen Edmonds site, it retails for around $200 but can be had on Ebay for half that if you can find it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it retail though, the little extra investment is well worth it in the long run.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

The shoulders are definitely too wide. Changing the shoulder width is not a simple alteration. It's closer to recutting the jacket and unlikely to be done well or be worth the expense. I would save my money for a new suit that fit properly rather than put money into that one that will never fit well.

I understand and agree. What I've found is that sometimes by pulling in the back a bit, it "narrows" the shoulders a little without actually touching them at all with a knife. They get pulled back.

6. Motorsport226

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I understand and agree. What I've found is that sometimes by pulling in the back a bit, it "narrows" the shoulders a little without actually touching them at all with a knife. They get pulled back.
    Taking in the back of the jacket only reduces the width of the back of the jacket. It does nothing to the width of the shoulders unless it is done so severely as to deform the shape of the jacket. Not recommended at all.

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Ok, which one?
    The second one looks like something like a bicycle-toe design which I would avoid. The first is not great with both brogueing and a floating medallion, but better than the second.

9. Motorsport226

The second one looks like something like a bicycle-toe design which I would avoid. The first is not great with both brogueing and a floating medallion, but better than the second.

Yea I'm just trying to stay in my price range. Believe me, if I could afford C&J's, EG's, Lobbs or Vass I'd be buying those, but I can't, so these are the two in the style I'm looking for that I can afford.

10. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Went to a London tailor to get an idea of pricing for suits. Starting at £900 for MTM, £2200 for bespoke. Do these prices sound good for a non Savile Row tailor?

What would be the equivalent prices for a tailor on the row, not the most expensive, but something like Norton & Sons?

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Allegri jacket
    Brioni polo
    KL jeans
    Ariat belt
    Zegna socks
    FW boots
    AOS cologne
    Concord watch

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Taking in the back of the jacket only reduces the width of the back of the jacket. It does nothing to the width of the shoulders unless it is done so severely as to deform the shape of the jacket. Not recommended at all.
    Hmmm, well I'm not a tailor so I'm not certain. I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the second opinion on that.

Ok, which one?
    Number one is bit of a platypus... weird combo of brogue, mediallion, etc but I actually think it's got a bit of character. Number 2 I'm not a fan of. That line of dots just looks weird to me. just my $0.02

13. RAM1988

RAM1988 Well-Known Member

I found these boots I really dig on a sale on Gilt.. only problem is they're just a prop (not for sale) and I can't get any info on the designer, model, etc.. I posted the same post on sufu, but figured you all are just as well-versed on this stuff so I'd give it up for you to try to take a stab.. any one have any idea what these could be.. or, alternatively, the closest thing that's on the market today?

[​IMG]

Thanks, hope to hear from some of ya.

Ryan

14. Motorsport226

Hmmm, well I'm not a tailor so I'm not certain. I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the second opinion on that.

Number one is bit of a platypus... weird combo of brogue, mediallion, etc but I actually think it's got a bit of character. Number 2 I'm not a fan of. That line of dots just looks weird to me. just my $0.02

That's exactly how I feel about the first, and the second was hit or miss, I've seen that style work before, just wasn't sure what the opinion would be on this particular one.

Thanks!

15. RAM1988

RAM1988 Well-Known Member

sorry moderator, perhaps my boot question ought to have been posted in the streetwear thread..

Apologies,
    Ryan