• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar
I have Irish Linen Baldessarini suit - the jacket seems to be longer than regular wool suit jackets by 2 inches - is it supposed to be this way as to accomodate creases?
No.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vazfinest1
Good morning SF. Do you all think these J-Crew Suede MacAlister boots are authentic? They may be outlet versions of the shoes because the seller has multiple pairs all going for 65.00 instead of the retail 135.00. Thank you in advance and thanks for the past advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-J-CREW-Sued...QQcmdZViewItem

J Crew footwear is not exactly high-quality or highly sought after. It's unlikely anyone is going to be counterfeiting it.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vazfinest1
Good morning SF. Do you all think these J-Crew Suede MacAlister boots are authentic? They may be outlet versions of the shoes because the seller has multiple pairs all going for 65.00 instead of the retail 135.00. Thank you in advance and thanks for the past advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-J-CREW-Sued...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, If I were you I would look into the Allen Edmonds Calhoun boot. JCrew shoe quality is below average at best. Yea you might be getting a good deal on them, but in a few months when they wear like ****, you'll wish you had spent a few more bucks for a much better boot.

The Calhoun is on the Allen Edmonds site, it retails for around $200 but can be had on Ebay for half that if you can find it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it retail though, the little extra investment is well worth it in the long run.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The shoulders are definitely too wide. Changing the shoulder width is not a simple alteration. It's closer to recutting the jacket and unlikely to be done well or be worth the expense. I would save my money for a new suit that fit properly rather than put money into that one that will never fit well.

I understand and agree. What I've found is that sometimes by pulling in the back a bit, it "narrows" the shoulders a little without actually touching them at all with a knife. They get pulled back.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Ok, which one?

3720_HiRes.jpg

or...

5958_HiRes.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I understand and agree. What I've found is that sometimes by pulling in the back a bit, it "narrows" the shoulders a little without actually touching them at all with a knife. They get pulled back.
Taking in the back of the jacket only reduces the width of the back of the jacket. It does nothing to the width of the shoulders unless it is done so severely as to deform the shape of the jacket. Not recommended at all.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
Ok, which one?
The second one looks like something like a bicycle-toe design which I would avoid. The first is not great with both brogueing and a floating medallion, but better than the second.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
The second one looks like something like a bicycle-toe design which I would avoid. The first is not great with both brogueing and a floating medallion, but better than the second.

Yea I'm just trying to stay in my price range. Believe me, if I could afford C&J's, EG's, Lobbs or Vass I'd be buying those, but I can't, so these are the two in the style I'm looking for that I can afford.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a London tailor to get an idea of pricing for suits. Starting at £900 for MTM, £2200 for bespoke. Do these prices sound good for a non Savile Row tailor?

What would be the equivalent prices for a tailor on the row, not the most expensive, but something like Norton & Sons?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Taking in the back of the jacket only reduces the width of the back of the jacket. It does nothing to the width of the shoulders unless it is done so severely as to deform the shape of the jacket. Not recommended at all.
Hmmm, well I'm not a tailor so I'm not certain. I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the second opinion on that.

Originally Posted by Motorsport226
Ok, which one?
Number one is bit of a platypus... weird combo of brogue, mediallion, etc but I actually think it's got a bit of character. Number 2 I'm not a fan of. That line of dots just looks weird to me. just my $0.02

RAM1988

Reaction score
I found these boots I really dig on a sale on Gilt.. only problem is they're just a prop (not for sale) and I can't get any info on the designer, model, etc.. I posted the same post on sufu, but figured you all are just as well-versed on this stuff so I'd give it up for you to try to take a stab.. any one have any idea what these could be.. or, alternatively, the closest thing that's on the market today?

2vjvh2r.jpg

Thanks, hope to hear from some of ya.

Ryan

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Hmmm, well I'm not a tailor so I'm not certain. I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the second opinion on that.

Number one is bit of a platypus... weird combo of brogue, mediallion, etc but I actually think it's got a bit of character. Number 2 I'm not a fan of. That line of dots just looks weird to me. just my $0.02

That's exactly how I feel about the first, and the second was hit or miss, I've seen that style work before, just wasn't sure what the opinion would be on this particular one.

Thanks!

RAM1988

Reaction score
sorry moderator, perhaps my boot question ought to have been posted in the streetwear thread..

Apologies,
Ryan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads