1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Pretty skimpy, yes. It is a very casual shirt, so maybe not the end of the world, but I'd certainly prefer it to be beefier.

1 person likes this.
  2. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

White bucks vs beeswax desert boots? Which is more "stylish"?

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

The real question is which is more your style.

4. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

Looking for a inexpensive navy/white pindot tie

Should I get one from charless tyrwhitt (free with purchase of a shirt - about $50 total)
    or should I get this pre-owned lands end one for around $6 or ...?

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Can I 'un-botton down' a collar? Will it be as easy as it is in my head to cut and re-size the collar myself? Thanks!

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

No.

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Just leave it unbuttoned.

8. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

As a 20 year old, my style is to look better than others around me. Wear a lot of chino of various brown shades and a lot of denim...all fitted very well. Slim fit dress shirts and polos is what i wear on my top half and i leave them untucked...occasional tuck if putting on a sports coat (of which i have a grey and navy one) and as of late have been tucking in often since I'm going through a slim-fit sweater over dress shirt phase. Does this aid in your assessment? I currently have tan bucks, brown loafers, dark brown sperry tassle boat shoes, AE walnut sanfords, and some black close laced oxfords from...J&M -.-. One pair of vans canvas sneakers in grey also.

Does this define my style more? I have a dark complexion if that matters. My style is to look 25 years old - 30 years old in my dressing since my face makes me look 13. Just want to add another shoe to the collection...that is versatile enough to wear with the kinds of pants and style i have...so does all this answer your question and help in you helping me decide between beeswax desert boots with crepe soles or red-soled white bucks? Thanks a lot

P.S. A seersucker suit will be in my collection next year if i get a good deal.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  9. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I'd still go with the beeswax desert boots. They are a great and versitle boot for denim and chinos alike. They are a great casual shoe but can easily be paired with a dress shirt and blazer for evening drinks at the bar.

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Purchased a blazer. What do you guys think of the fit? I tapered the sides a bit.

[​IMG]

11. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Shoulders, lapel width, and jacket length look spot on. It is slightly too tapered for the conservative minds (notice the "X" at the buttoning point) and sleeves could be approximately .5" longer to show less shirt cuff (but that is personal preference).

12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

The angle of the shot exaggerated the cuff's length. The cuffs only protrudes half an inch from the suit sleeves.

13. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

Agree the sleeves could be slightly longer, but not critical. How's the back? That trim in the front, I have to wonder how the back lays. Very nice looking though. Where from?

14. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

how do i remove the sticky residue from shoe tongues? peeled them off and trying to figure out how to get rid of the stickyness without damaging the leather.

15. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. You're right that it is a very loud and casual shirt. To that end I normally wear it with both top buttons undone instead of just the one, which I feel kind of helps the collar to spread out and not look so small against my head. I just ran off to Brooks Bros and ordered two of their linen sport shirts on clearance for $49 each. Linen is a great material out here, and I do so love the generous collar of a Brooks Brothers shirt [​IMG]

16. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

I'm 22 and I love my beeswax Bushacres. They're the same as the DBs but with a cost-cutting rubber sole instead of crepe. They're cheap shoes to be sure but the leather uppers on them only seem to get better with age.

White nubucks with red soles is a little... obnoxious.

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I didn't ask you a question. You cheeky monkey.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  18. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Edited to remove my own obnoxiousness.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  19. Mike Ross

Mike Ross Active Member

Putting together a black-tie outfit based around a midnight velvet jacket. Thoughts on black calf whole-cuts over patent leather? How about a hidden-placket on the shirt?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  20. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

My go-to tuxedo shirt has a hidden placket, and frankly I think black calf wholecuts (with silk ribbon laces) look better than patent -- but if you're already going velvet it may be worth your while not to stray too far in other respects. I think you could pull off all three as long as everything else was as bland and conventional as possible. To that end I'd probably go cummerbund instead of a waistcoat.