1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I don't like the gold buttons either. But then again, I know I'm crazy.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

If you have a six pack, they'll show it off. But then again, if you have a belly, they'll show that off too.

3. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Does that mean that only fat people hate low rise pants? I've seen skinny or well built men disliking low rise pants.

4. westhill

westhill Well-Known Member

Hi
    Either my neck has gotten bigger from serious workouts, or the collars on some of my brooks brothers MTM shirts have shrunk some over the past couple of years, and now some of the older shirts (hence why I think the shirts shrunk, as the newer shirts still fit fine and I don't think they made the neck larger last time around) are about half an inch to an inch too snug. If I have the collars replaced, in the event i do need an inch more room in my neck, is that possible to do?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luftvier [​IMG]
    Subversive CBD, maybe?
    Either my neck has gotten bigger from serious workouts, or the collars on some of my brooks brothers MTM shirts have shrunk some over the past couple of years, and now some of the older shirts (hence why I think the shirts shrunk, as the newer shirts still fit fine and I don't think they made the neck larger last time around) are about half an inch to an inch too snug. If I have the collars replaced, in the event i do need an inch more room in my neck, is that possible to do?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luftvier [​IMG]
    Subversive CBD, maybe?

5. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Walnut would be your best bet all the way, either with your grey or navy suit. As for the suit I'd go for the navy. It goes great with the walnut shoes.

It's become pretty clear that black shoes should be reserved for weddings and funerals, or ultra conservative jobs. Your call on that.

6. katr22

katr22 Member

I agree with you on the black shoes. They are considered to be universal and often do not fit on a given occasion and on a daily basis. Let's leave it at weddings and funerals.

7. katr22

katr22 Member

Originally Posted by buchoelbrusco [​IMG]

Ok thanks and what if I wear the same red tone bow tie?

This can be a good option if you plan to take jacket off.

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Just. No. :brick:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Listen to the black bow tie avatar!

1 person likes this.
  10. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

:D

12. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

cross post

i am interested in ernesto sportscoat,but can't find enough information about them

the fabric they use looks great ( not all, some looks too loud)
    unstructed
    it makes me remind boglioli

the only useful infor i find:
    http://www.e-pitti.com/en/exhibitors/ernesto.html

anyone have experience about their quality and fit?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. acinod

acinod Senior member

So I've been folding my sweaters with a piece of tissue paper in between the back of the sweater and the sleeves that drape over. What's the point of the paper and what happens when I start storing my sweaters without them?

14. gehaus

gehaus New Member

Hi all,

I am looking for tailored wool dress pants on a budget (80-120$) and I am a little on the chubby side (240lbs, 5.11, 40 waist). This causes a problem.

The usual suspects in this range like Jcrew, Uniqlo, and BR either cap out at a 38 waist or have their pants split into classic (parachute) or slim/skinny which tend to be tight in the thighs for me. Oddly I can find chinos and jeans in this trim(er) style e.g. gap jeans regular 38 waist fit me well, but not wool trousers.

I know Nordstrom can sort me out but at a price point that I am not comfortable with considering that I blow out the crotch in pants after a year of use.

I want to avoid the old man pant look but I cant fit into the skinny stuff. Anyone have any suggestions? Brands to look into? Or will I just have to get the larger ones tailored?

Thanks!

15. simian

simian Active Member

Similar question here.

Looking for wool trousers, but with slim fit. The E. Zegna slim fit trousers fit me perfectly, but are expensive. What would be alternatives I should look for, and how does E. Zegna size 48 (European) translate to American sizes? Thanks.

16. Irish

Irish Senior member

Does anyone know if LBM or Boglioli make jackets in Long sizes? I take it they do not, seeing as I've yet to find one for sale.

Both brands have blazers that look exactly like what I want; but the standard length will not suffice.

Thanks.

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Buy pants you can get into, then have a tailor slim them to your desired dimensions.

18. aznfashion

aznfashion Member

Hey guys, so I want to buy this jacket http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/...-one-direction-premiere-wearing-topman-jacket and I found one size extra small for an affordable price. It is sold out on their official website.However, I typically wear size small not extra small for t shirts by Topman. The jacket is genuine leather. Should I buy it? Is it true that leather jackets should be sized down as they are supposed to be tight, but then loosen up as you wear them? I want a similar fit to the one in the picture. Thanks!

19. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I notice that you've asked several times whether it would be okay for you to buy an extra small, even though you wear a small. Once again, the answer is typically "no."

Not even if leather jackets are supposed to have a more snug fit than some other types of jackets. (Not a "tight" fit. There is a difference.) Not even if you might wear the jacket unbuttoned (something you asked about in a post in another thread). Not even on the hope that it might "loosen up" with some wear.

If you are a size small, then with few exceptions you should buy a size small. Not an extra small. Not even if it's priced low. Because while every now and then you might find an extra small that runs big for the size, mostly you won't. (To the best of my knowledge, Topman fits pretty much true to size, and not unusually large.) As a general rule, you should buy the size that fits you, and in your case it's typically going to be a small that fits you, not an extra small.

20. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I beg to differ. I have lots of experience owning and buying leather and denim jackets and always size down one and even two whole sizes. You are completly correct in your assumption that your leather should have a tight fit. There's nothing wide than owning baggy leather ( have you seen leather jackets that add a gut? Not appealing).

Just the .02 cents of a biker.