1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pactiger

pactiger Senior member

2. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Where is a good source for cool buttons to put on a navy blazer? I don't want to keep the crested dull silver buttons on a jacket I had made recently that is nearing completion, from a special deal at a tailor shop that didn't give me many options.

would like to find silvery dark smoked pearl buttons, or something others might recommend?

3. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

Anyone know a decent tailor in NYC? I need to take in the sleeves of a jacket from the shoulders...

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Alterations Master Tailor Shop. 2 West 46th Street, right next to Fifth Ave. I can't speak highly enough of them.
    http://www.alterationsmaster.com/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Good tailor around Berkeley (or anywhere close to BART stations in the Bay area)? Need some pants hemmed; would need to rely on tailor's eye as I have no experience.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Tender Buttons in New York is a great place. Not sure about shipping and such though.

8. briancpotter

briancpotter Active Member

Why is it that sometimes there's no visible row of stitching on the bottom of shoes that are goodyear welted?

[​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

It's called "channeled stitching". A layer around the edge of the sole is peeled back, a little channel carved into the layer underneath, and the stitching is done inside the channel. Then the layer that was peeled back - about half an inch all the way around, is glued back down over the stitching which lies flush inside the channel.

Eventually, the layer of leather over the channel usually starts coming away or wears away, and then you'll start to see where the stitching is!

10. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

Can someone please remind me of the name of the amazing accessory shop in Paris? They have combs, razors, brushes, lighters, cigar cutters etc. Thanks!

11. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

sure you're not thinking of this place, in Milan? :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  12. AnFinsceal

AnFinsceal Member

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Don't get that one. Get a traditional wool blazer, available anywhere. What you have is an unstructured canvas blazer, and those are meant for more casual settings. If you're using this for stuff like recruiting events, you want something more formal than that. A more classic wool version would even work for an interview.

Brooks Brothers would be a good option, and about the same price as the Gant if you get it on sale.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    2 people like this.
  14. ShirtGod

ShirtGod Member

s

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. ShirtGod

ShirtGod Member

Quick Question. Below is a photo of my favorite belt. I have been unable to find another with a similar closing mechanic anywhere. This is not a belt with a track system. It is simply a belt without holes that closes with a pinch on the leather.

1. Does anyone know where I can find a belt like this? Please not this is not a mission belt or other track belt.
    2. If you do not know a place that may stock this type of belt, do you know what this type of belt/closure mechanic is called?

Thank you very much (I have been trying to answer this question for over eight years)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

[​IMG]

Any ideas on matching this shirt? White/brown pinpoint oxford. I'm having a little trouble putting a good outfit together. Mostly odd jacket/trousers about half the time with tie. Thanks guys.

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^Tie could be just about any solid color, textured. Just about any jacket, but when in doubt, navy blazer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  18. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'll be catching an early morning flight out of Baltimore (brr, :freeze: chilly) in several days to attend a wedding in Hattiesburg, Mississippi (low 61ºF, high 86ºF). To cover the weather transition, I'd like to wear a pair of lightweight cords over brown beefroll full strap Polo Sport loafers on the flight and then the 2+ hour drive from NOLA to the hotel, similar to these and in this color (but not rolled up as in the pic).

[​IMG]

I'm looking for suggestions for a sport coat and shirt to wear over it. I've got a heavy-ish sueded cotton navy sport coat as well as a variety of brass buttoned navy blazers in Loro Piana finer finish wools which seem at odds with the texture of the cords. My tweeds are mostly brown or gray and are too close IMO to the color of the cords and probably too heavy. My linens are mostly in earth tones as are the rest of my cotton sport coats.

Please note that having lost a LOT of weight a few years back has left my inner body thermometer out of whack and I'm cold when others are complaining about the heat.

Black gingham check shirt sound okay or too severe?

I dunno. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  19. Shanil

Shanil Active Member

I'm looking to buy a pair of Double Monks, preferably in shell cordovan and a burgundy/red hue. Any suggestions APART from the Salinger offered by Epaulet?

20. books and tweed

books and tweed Senior member

Are any of those linen jackets on the green end of the earth tone spectrum? A bottle green or a very dark brown would look really nice... Even the linen/corduroy texture oddity might sort of work, I think. Perhaps a sweater to bridge the two textures and add a little variety to the earth tones.

Black gingham sounds odd; I'd opt for a more classic oxford to avoid the black gingham/textured earth tone mix.... If all fails, just use the cotton navy sport coat with any simple shirt.