1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

2. acinod

acinod Senior member

So far 1 has no votes, 2 has 2 votes and 3 and 4 have 1 vote each. In that case I'll definitely bring 2, guessing its because it has the highest percentage of wool+angora (15+5%). I think I might go 3 over 4 though because two reddish sweaters might be a bit dull. Cashmere is not cheap here so I think I'll wait till after I arrive to buy another sweater.

3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I can't say I'm a fan. Your suit and tie patterns are the same scale and too similar. With such a small dense pattern, you need to offset it with a larger scale.

4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Should I just go solid, I can't imagine what pattern would work. I picked that tie bc of the lavender matches the lavender check in the coat.

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

That's another reason why it's not working - the two blend into each other because of colour AND pattern. The stark white shirt emphasises that too. Especially if, as I'm guessing, you're also wearing black shoes and no pocket square. The tie is perfectly nice, but it's begging for a flat navy or grey pinstripe suit to pair with.

It's a lovely jacket. Try this: light blue shirt, or a fine light blue stripe even. Navy, bottle green (dull) or deep burgundy tie, either solid, textured or with a small neat patten (but not checked or snall stripes). Even a thick striped repp tie would work. then add a cream (not white) pocket square, of it not available, one with a pattern that's not too bright, and is dominated by a colour that is more or less opposite to your tie - but in a similar tone. That should warm everything up nicely. Finally, if you want to soften the whole thing a bit more, try brown, tan or burgundy shoes too (but not with a burgundy tie).

Oh, I forgot your trousers. I hope you didn't. Mid grey or charcoal, preferably. Flannel would be a good texture. Usually is, come to think of it...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You can wear a broad-stripe tie, like this: http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-g...stripes-on-midnight-blue-grenadine-tie-3.html

I hope that jacket is part of a suit, otherwise you might have difficulty finding a pair of pants to coordinate. I am not sure I agree with mimo on gray flannels, as the jacket appears to be mid gray also, which will not provide enough contrast.

I do agree that a light blue shirt would be good.

7. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Hello MCers! I'm looking to get a friend a gift card so he can buy a nice pair of shoes, but I'm very unfamiliar with more traditional shoemakers, as I'm mainly into the SW&D side of things. Which shoemaker do you recommend that I buy a gift card to (looking to get about a 400 dollar gift card. price range probably 6-800?) I'd ideally like to get something English, but I am open to all suggestions. I am located in New York. Thank you for all the help!

8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I posted this in MCCas

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:Crockett and Jones. They are on 56th between 5th and 6th. They start at $650 for benchgrade.

10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

SHoot, it's not really gray, it is more tan and I was going to wear navy pants w/ brown shoes, brown belt. I don't have a solid light blue shirt (yes, I'm not kidding) I do have gray flannels though, and I'm going to where teh weather is colder (50-60f)
    I have almost that exact same tie, except it's missoni, grabbed it just in case, I do have a very light gray tone on tone shirt. This was too last minute, should've put together days before my trip, but I'm new to dressing nice, and while I've worn suits before, I've never worried about it. I just know enough to know that that tie and jacket wasn't working. Thanks for your help, luckily I do have a huge tie collection, so I'm going to grab a few extras. Will post the morning of that outfit, you guys can rate (or berate) me on it [​IMG]

11. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Thank you! I actually was considering C&J, but I was hoping to see if there were any better options at that price point. Perhaps this validates my initial consideration. Do you know by any chance how much more the handgrade line costs?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  12. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I believe the handgrades are about $900. You could also do Brooks Brothers. They have a few C&J models under the Peal name (as well as some Alfred Sargent). They typically run about $600-$650, but it is much easier to get discounts on BB stuff with all the sales and corporate discounts.

13. Yanks27

Yanks27 Member

I bought two pairs of Ferragamo's on EBay in my size 9.5D. They are are loafers. The pair in black (horsebit) fit nicely. The brown (more of an Italian version of penny loafers) hurt my feet so much that I have to take them off after a couple of hours. The tightness is mostly on the top of the feet.

Should I bring the brown shoes to a shoe repair to get stretched or does it sound like they are a different cut and should have gotten a bigger size?

14. seven7

seven7 Well-Known Member

I live in Santiago, and I am finding it very difficult to find a clothes brush. Shoe brushes, however, are not in short supply. While most shoe brushes brushes would be too stiff for clothes, I have found a few with very soft all natural bristles. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use much a brush on clothes?

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I know it's a long shot, but is anyone able to recognize the make and model iron this fellow is using?

In any event, it's a good video. (I love my sleeve board.)

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

16. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

My question - about the site:

WHen I got to post a classified to classic menswear, I cannot add a picture. It's very frustrating. Working on OS X. Tried chrome, firefox and safari. Firefox I can drag and drop, but when I go upload I get an error.

Searched the board, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Scatterbrain.

17. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Can you post a pic anywhere else?

18. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I am fairly sure that is the Rowenta Pro.

19. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

__

wrong thread :S

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  20. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Many thanks, Shoeluv. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ac