1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Smart SF members say don't pay retail on brand name suits and go bespoke. That being said, what's the value retention of these bespoke suits? Can they be sold for 70% of its original price? I think you'd be lucky to get 50% on a RLBL suit. That is for a plain solid navy blue that retails for $1,600, you'd be lucky to get $800 for it. I wonder how bespoke suits sell since they're truly customized to your body.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Why does anyone care about suit resale value? It just seems strange to me. My thoughts when buying a suit are how it fits and what I think of the color/pattern. I am never thinking about resale value. Chances are, if resale value is a top consideration when buying a suit, you are doing something wrong.

3. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Ah~!!! Very true indeed. I have never purchased anything with the intention of selling it. The question stemmed from my experience from the forum where whenever I would say I am buying at full retail everyone says why go with rtw when you can buy bespoke for less. Luckily I have a brand that fits me perfectly and dont want to go thru the bespoke process. I just want my suit now.

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

My tailor does it with all my OTR shirts. Quick and easy job. Slims the torso and upper sleeve at the same time.

5. doopdoop

doopdoop Well-Known Member

i'm trying to remove a small, blue ballpoint ink stain out of a tan linen blazer....how in the world can this be done? my mom says oxiclean stain defender works wonders...i'm assuming that's not going to work for ink and is possibly bad for the blazer.

6. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Linen is pretty hardy, but the first/safest course of action would be trying to lift it with rubbing alcohol. Soak the stain, leave it for a minute, then "blot" with paper towel.

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Some Amodex Ink & Stain Remover might do the trick. A bottle cost me about $6 at last summer's DC Fountain Pen Supershow, and I know it's available from a fair number of both b&m and online sources. While I've only used it on fountain pen ink stains (it worked well), I understand it's also effective on other types of ink - ball point, gel pen, Sharpie pen, etc.

8. mark555

mark555 New Member

Quick question on a tie for a wedding: I'm wearing a navy suit, white shirt, black shoes. Have never been to a wedding and have no experience in wearing a suit. I've read the posts about "actual" wedding ties such as shepherd's check, glen plaid, macclesfields etc. I couldn't find almost any in London (most links here are to sam hober and kent wang which aren't available short-notice here). I've browsed around a bit and found the following ties that I liked, especially the first two - opinions on whether they're appropriate/good would be appreciated!

http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Cotton...l&cgid=24600#!i=7&color=059_Light-Pastel-Grey

http://www.selfridges.com/en/Menswe...tie_110-77030370-3276B/?previewAttribute=Blue

http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Pure-s...id=24600#!i=127&color=535_Light-Pastel-Purple

http://www.drakes-london.com/catalo...not-grenadine-solid-8cm-silk-tie/category/37/

Thanks!

M

9. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Senior member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  10. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hey Mark,

After looking through various options, I would have to say that the Drake tie looks best, in terms of both quality and dimensions. The other options are much thinner ties, and you want to avoid the hipster look on a friend's wedding day. The Drake tie is approx. 8 cm which is about 3 1/4 inches, right in line with what is trending these days. I would, however, go for more of a reddish brown / burgundy look given that autumn / fall season is approaching, or if you really want some pop on your outfit, go for a lilac (even though this is best for summer wear). I would avoid navy blues and grey's as they don't add much fun to the outfit given that you're wearing a navy blue suit.

Please feel free to read an article on my blog and mixing and matching ties to your suits and shirts at : http://suitupdressup.com/2013/04/02/cravats-untied/

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Is "Barba's" the same thing as "Barba"? If not, does anyone know anything about the quality of Barba's (apostrophe-s) ties?

12. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

13. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Sorry also reposting a question hoping someone has some info

What winter climate do you think this coat is suited to? It is 24 oz wool.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fabric/wool/wool-car-coat.htm

Also related question:

Do you think lighter weight flannel pants are suitable to be worn in a climate that often has winter highs in the low 60s?

14. Rum Runner

Rum Runner Member

Has anyone taken their Jcrew 'secret wash' shirts to the dry cleaner and had them starched? I have done that on a number of shirts and want to know whether repeated starching has completely ruined the 'secret wash' feel or whether I can restore it some how.

Thanks in advance.

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

If you have the confidence to pull it off. It's a matter of personal preference. Try it and see how you like it.

16. Xtra

Xtra Senior member

Do you think these gloves (link below) will stretch a lot? I bought them in a size L, but I think I might've needed M. Shipping them back for an exchange would be too costly, so I'm not returning them.

So the question is - do these kind of (shearling gloves) stretch less than "normal" leather gloves? If these gloves stretch too much, they might become too loose after a while.

[​IMG]

http://www.malfordoflondon.com/en/d...s-for-harrods-hand-sewn-shearling-gloves.html

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  17. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If they are too big for you now, chances are they won't stretch. Things usually stretch when force is exerted on them.

18. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

Is the following belt ok with both of the shoes here, or is it necessary to match colors more. I'm not looking for perfection. The belt is cheap and what I'm looking for even if it might not be the best color combo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I think generally it's better to match textures first, then color, but it strikes me that that belt may be a bit wide for the shoes on the bottom. What's the rest of the outfit like?

20. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Dependes on the weave, but a 24 oz cloth sounds like a good middle ground between too cold and too warm. Consult these threads for more info:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?59141-Fabric-Weight-Overcoats
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/230231/good-weight-for-overcoat-fabric

As for the second question, under the condition you specified, I believe light-weight flannel would serve you very well.