• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should wait for sales on Charles Tywhitt shirts. they are decent and can usually be gotten at around $30 on sale. They have constant sales too.

Agree, but CT shirts are like a semi-tent, even their slimmed fit (tailored fit). I know the guy didn't mention what he was looking for in terms of fit, but CT shirts are not so slim.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have another question:

How do you folks take care of your sweaters so that they don't get any moth holes in them?

I've just had all my sweater destroyed after not taking good care of them. Thankfully, none of it was expensive.

And second, do you hang or fold your merino wool cardigans? I fold all my v-neck and crew neck sweaters and hang my cardigans? I wonder if I should fold them instead.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree, but CT shirts are like a semi-tent, even their slimmed fit (tailored fit). I know the guy didn't mention what he was looking for in terms of fit, but CT shirts are not so slim.
The tailored fit are quite slim, moreso than Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit, at least for neck sizes 16" and above. Below that, Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit are slimmer than CT.

Here is a link to get shirts for $40 each: http://www.ctshirts.com/Default.aspx?q=aw008|||||||||||||||

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Horrible advice, that stuff is for rough, work boot leather. After applying too much of this stuff you won't be able to work up a good shine anymore. I threw an $800 pair of shoes in the garbage after slathering too much oils and heavy duty LP on them.

To each their own....

Nobody said to smother them, in fact I didn't say anything about the amount to use,,,, I put just a little bit on my dress shoes and it works great for me and I don't re-apply for a long while, on my work/casual shoes I put a decent amount and they hold up for ages under most conditions and lots of abuse, so personally I can't say anything bad about the stuff but ymmv,,,, I do agree that you shouldnt use a lot of this stuff and it isn't the best shoe care product for high end dress shoes.

LilTimmy

Reaction score
New here...

I will be having my first "formal" job interview in 2 weeks time.

I have never dressed up and I never really cared about style until now. (jeans and tshirts type of guy)
confused.gif

I'm a male, 22 years old, 5'3", 135lbs, short dark hair.

What should I wear? Where can I purchase it? What size am I?
What color tie? Shoul I even wear a tie? shoes, what type of shoes?

Thanks

You can include images etc.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New here...

I will be having my first "formal" job interview in 2 weeks time.

I have never dressed up and I never really cared about style until now. (jeans and tshirts type of guy)
confused.gif

I'm a male, 22 years old, 5'3", 135lbs, short dark hair.

What should I wear? Where can I purchase it? What size am I?
What color tie? Shoul I even wear a tie? shoes, what type of shoes?

Thanks

You can include images etc.

Your best bet is to go to a Brooks Brothers or a fine mens retailer and have them take your measurements.

What's your budget?

LilTimmy

Reaction score
Your best bet is to go to a Brooks Brothers or a fine mens retailer and have them take your measurements.

What's your budget?
My budget is no more than $100

I should also note that I'm moving away and my budget is pretty tight at the moment.

Can $100-$150 at the most, get me a decent suit?

It's for a teaching job, if that matters.

Thank you very much

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My budget is no more than $100

I should also note that I'm moving away and my budget is pretty tight at the moment.  

Can $100-$150 at the most,  get me a decent suit?

It's for a teaching job, if that matters.

Thank you very much

You can get a ~$100 linen suit from H&M.

White or light blue dress shirt. My preference is a burgundy tie. White linen pocket square if you really wanna look nice.

Last edited:

bluedove

Reaction score
Does anyone know - who makes and where can i purchase this boot?

wesny

Reaction score
I have 100 dollars to Ralph Lauren that I need to spend before it expires. What should I buy? I was looking at various pants and wondering which cut was their slimmest. All of them look gigantic on the site. Is Rugby slimmer? What pair out right now is my best bet?

wesny

Reaction score

I'm also looking for slim-fitting chinos. I'm 5' 7", 145 lbs and in good shape. I tried J. Crew but their fit and quality are terrible. Brooks has better quality but their fit isn't much better. Thanks.

The new Gap slim fit that someone else mentioned is actually quite good. A better fit than J. Crew or Brooks. Nothing fits me all that well from Gap but these are great out of the box. And cheap at 30% off when they run a sale, which is often.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Attending a wedding soon. "theme" colour (urgh) is purple (grape shade, not violet). I have a repo stripe that will look like I am participating without taking me into the cheese zone.

Silver gray suit, white shirt .... black shoes or burgundy shells?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got this Borrelli shirt. It is a nice fine fabric but somewhat see . I don't wear jackets usually. What should I do? If I wear a white under shirt it will surely be visible underneath. Fit is OK. I'm planning on slimming it.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got this Borrelli shirt. It is a nice fine fabric but somewhat see . I don't wear jackets usually. What should I do? If I wear a white under shirt it will surely be visible underneath. Fit is OK. I'm planning on slimming it.

It's been recommended on here to wear grey shirts under shirts that are thin as they don't reflect light as much as white.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads