1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

If he's your groomsman, you presumably have a decent relationship with him. So simply say to him, "I'm getting all of my groomsmen neckties. You wear an extra-long tie?" And then you'll know what length tie he wears.

Despite what I said about giving clothing as gifts, it's okay for a groom to give his groomsmen neckties. Same way that I'd discourage giving your guy friends jewelry, but giving your groomsmen matching cuff links would be okay. Groomsmen gifts fall into a special category that way.

Oh, whenever I read here on SF that someone's getting married, I have to ask - you're not having your groomsmen all dress in matching outfits, are you? Please, for the love of Dog, tell me you're not making that mistake, no matter what the bride and/or wedding planner want. You have one groomsman who is the size of Herman Munster. You probably have another who's on the short and slight side. It's unlikely that the suit and/or tuxedo which looks best on one, will also look best on the other. Moreover, in looking at old wedding photos, I've never, ever thought to myself, "I wish all of grandpa's groomsmen had been wearing identical suits." So long as the groomsmen are dressed in the appropriate tone, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from having them all match, and quite a bit of reason to avoid this.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

No, don't worry. I've just asked them to wear solid charcoal suits (which, surprisingly, only 1/3 owned, but other other 2 were open to buying), white shirts, and black shoes (I'd prefer brown but black is safer). And I of course will provide ties, non-matching, but color coordinated. I'm trying to fight the good fight against matching, but some compromises are necessary. The wedding-industrial complex is strong.

(The white shirt thing is actually a open issue because her dress is off-white and she asked if we could get off-white dress shirts.)

I was also pissed off the one wedding I've been in that I couldn't wear my own tuxedo because it was single button, peak lapel instead of 2 button, notch lapel, so I had to shell out $200 for a Men's Wearhouse rental that didn't fit.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Friggin' ridiculous.

4. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

+1

5. 12345Michael54321

Any rule that ridiculous is typically justified on the grounds of safety. (You know, like some of the rules at the airport.)

"Studies show that men in black suits are 2% less likely to abduct children than are men in charcoal suits. Chase cares about our children's safety. Don't you?"

6. rudals1281

rudals1281 Well-Known Member

The water's under the bridge. You should have come to this forum before you bought those suits man. Like the post above me, I too recommend Brooks Brothers. Just have one nice suit rather than plain garbage for $900. Yikes. Come here for advice before u buy something again. This place has some great people who will give u sound advice.

7. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

Had a salesman at Nordstrom tell me that I should only use the middle of the three holes on monk straps, and if I'm using the third hole I should be going down a half size. All my monks fit great in the last hole, any truth to this?

8. 12345Michael54321

If you like how your shoes fit, and you like how they look, then you have no problem.

Please don't let a department store salesperson cause you to second guess yourself.

1 person likes this.
  9. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the look and fit, just curious. Thanks.

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

What's the size of a pocket square?

11. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

Generally, there are two sizes: 30x30cm (12x12in) and 35x35 (14x14in). Sometimes even 40x40cm, but that's really large and a little unusual.

12. ImTheGroom

I got everyone different ties in my groom's party. They are to wear the day of my wedding, so they aren't really a gift, as it is quite self serving. I also bought them cheap ones from www.thetiebar.com (though, nice patterns, good selection; will tell you about quality in a few days!) I sent each of them a selection of photos of ties that I would be happy with them wearing, and told them each to pick one. There was one I was disappointed no one wanted, which speaks to Michael's point. Anyway, If you approach it that way, then if a guy needs a longer tie, he'll probably tell you.

13. ImTheGroom

Thanks. Seeing about getting some made on Etsy - found a good deal and will post a review on here later, if they're worthwhile - as I need 7 for my wedding and was hoping not to pay $25 or $40 each. But, anyway, may need to give very specific instructions to the woman who makes them.

14. Van Veen

Luckily I only have 3 groomsmen. Keeps costs down. The stuff brides worry about is crazy. She wants me to have all the groomsmen buy the same white shirt so the whites aren't slightly different in photos. I'm hoping to talk her out of this because I want to wear a more expensive shirt than I'd be comfortable asking people to buy.

I really wish there were more photos of SF members' weddings that I could show her as a proof-of-concept.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  15. ImTheGroom

Well if your wedding is after August 31st, you can refer her to my photos, of three guys in three different grey suits, with three different grey toned ties, wearing whichever white shirt they chose to buy, or already had.

16. Van Veen

Thanks, that actually might help. If I remember this, I will PM you about it.

17. bbhues

bbhues Well-Known Member

I know it's probably not ideal, but could a solid colored suit jacket with patch pockets pass as a sport coat in a bind?

18. ImTheGroom

With patch pockets, I'd say for sure. I expect someone else is going to disagree with me, though.

19. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Its very, very suboptimal. The patch pockets help, but solid charcoal is a suit color and is pretty much always going to look like and orphaned suit coat.

I do think you can do this with a navy suit/jacket--the famous blazer suit. But charcoal is a no-go in my opinion.

Edit: I mis-read "colored" as charcoal. See my response above: For navy, or maybe even better, something like an air force blue, yes. You can make a blazer suit that, while maybe not something you'd want to wear to a board meeting, can do both roles. Charcoal, no.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  20. ImTheGroom

Yep I'd agree on avoiding charcoal. Ironically I have a charcoal blazer from Banana republic that I love, but it's quite a soft construction, half lined deal and looks like a blazer because of its cut/drape. I have quite a bit of success with a brown suit orphan I got vintage that I wear as a sport coat.