1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

I have no comment pro or against SuitSupply MTM but you might also want to read about Kent Wang's MTM program as it is popular here. I think a local tailor could make you a nice MTM suit with a lot of customization (more than Suit Supply I am sure) for about $1500 so consider that as well

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

3. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Is light weight flannel an oxymoron?

I want to get some woolen pants that are not worsted and which have some texture (because it looks better to me and also more casual-I love cords and oxford cloth for the same reasons). I have it in my mind that I really want flannels but I sit in an office all day in temperate San Francisco. Honestly I have some tweed pants on the lighter side for tweed and they wear pretty warm when temps are in the 60's

4. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Senior member

My.Suit or Suitsupply is what I'm hearing. Which one would you guys suggest for a custom suit in Manhattan?

5. teddyc4

teddyc4 Member

Love RLBL Black Label's slim cut, sharp shoulders, and not overly skinny lapels. Can you recommend anything comparable, preferably at lower price point? J Crew Ludlow comes close, but I fear the lapels won't work with average ties (3.5 inches or so).

6. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

My first suit was RLBL and if you can work it then I would suggest Zegna Milano or Zegna Torino (tad bit slimmer than Milano and RLBL). But I see that you are looking for something cheaper so I guess I am not really helping. But just to let you know.

7. kib0913

kib0913 New Member

My quick question;

Should I wear light colors on overcast/cloudy days? For some reason it doesn't feel right.

8. samuraishot

samuraishot New Member

Hey everyone! I'd like a nice pair of jeans that I could wear with a pair of OSB Navy Trail Oxfords with Vibram soles. Any suggestions?

Edit: Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  9. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

Any recommendations as to where to purchase good dress belts for skinny men? As in, I'd get Brooks Brothers, EGs or one of the trad staples, but with a 27" waistline, most of the belts I've come across won't fit.

10. teddyc4

teddyc4 Member

Thanks, Rudals. To be honest I can't stomach either at retail but I'll be scanning for both on eBay and B&S

11. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

It's easy to make belts shorter, just not longer...

12. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

Only if it's the "trim to fit" type. Many belts I've seen are riveted with a set length.

13. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I was trying on a suit with which I fell in love. While the tailor was pinning me up I was playing around with the inside pocket checking out the tag, etc. and one of the pins on my sleeve pricked the inside (interior) of the jacket just behind the lapel. It made two tiny pulls in the fabric, which are almost invisible to the naked eye, likely because of the dark fabric. I mentioned it to the tailor and they thought I was talking about a slight wrinkle, which could be pressed out.

Anyway, I left it pinned and declined purchasing right away. I feel bad, and I am imagine since it's the interior not many people would notice, but am I being obsessive (i have a streak) or do these things happen and I should get the suit I want, or should I walk away....

What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  14. N3RVE

N3RVE New Member

15. robertjw25

robertjw25 New Member

Hello, I am getting married in a couple of weeks and will be wearing a tuxedo (it's an evening wedding). I am slim and my tuxedo is altered to fit beautifully (it's a shawl collar) and my shirt is made to measure. The final detail is studs for the shirt: I was thinking classic black onyx tuxedo studs; the salesman suggested that square studs would work better with the overall slim-fit nature of the outfit. Does this ring true?

16. Stoner

Stoner New Member

Good afternoon all.....new member to SF, although I've been a reader for some time.

Couple quick questions re: Borrelli dress shirts Sizing/Fit....I'm considering buying one or two online and I've noticed that sleeve length is not consistent with neck size from shirt to shirt, ie. some 18s indicate 37 sleeves, some 18s indicate 36 sleeves....does anyone know if these sizes differences indicate actual sleeve size, or am I simply seeing inconsistencies due to whoever is providing the info online.

Also, I typically wear 18/36, regular cut...can sometimes wear a slimmer cut....any idea which sizing would be best in a Borrelli dress shirt?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  17. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

1. I think that the flaws are inside the pocket and nearly invisible to the naked eye, and so not really sufficient to cause me to pass on a suit which I otherwise loved.

2. I think that since by your own admission you caused the flaws - due to your playing around with the inside of the pocket, while you knew you had pins on your sleeve - you ought to buy the suit.

Otherwise, it's like going into an art gallery, and saying you'll buy a particular painting. Then, while the painting is being packed up, you cause some trivial damage to it, and decide that since the painting is now damaged you've changed your mind and no longer wish to buy it.

You break it, you buy it. And yeah, the "breakage" in this case may be minor, but it is enough to cause a potential purchaser (namely, you) to decide not to buy the suit. So clearly it is of at least some significance, to some potential purchasers.

At the very least, you should explain to the seller exactly what you did, and offer financial compensation for the damage. But the better solution is to simply buy the suit. It's the easiest way to spare the seller any financial loss or inconvenience, and you'll be getting a suit which you loved before you caused some all-but-undetectable damage to it.

And maybe this will help you get over your psychological issues with "flawlessness." semi :)

1 person likes this.
  18. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

As in the coat (or overcoat)? Or are you looking for advice on what type of coat it is?

For me, these days they're just generically referred to as coats. You might want to search for a 'single breasted' coat if that's the style you're looking for - the coat in the picture is single breasted.

19. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

Quick question about Lee and Levis denim jackets...Lee Europe has the Rider...how does it compare to the U.S. Levis trucker jacket? I know both of them, the Lee in particular, are classics, but is the Lee version worth the eighty or do extra dollars? Thanks.

20. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Sounds like he's trying to sell you something.