1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

If you had a several cars you rotate through, would you ask the same question? I ask that because I think you're tricking yourself somewhat. Think of wears as mileage.

Definitely the latter and maybe a little bit of the former. If I wear my suit 100 days in a row, it'll be in bad shape. If I wear it 100 times in a year, it will be in slightly less bad shape, but the main benefit is from the fact I wore a not yet worn out suit over a longer period.

Law of diminishing returns applies. No matter how well you look after a rotated suit, it will hit a use by wear date.

Shoes are a little different because they benefit from a rest. The moisture from your feet can make them wear more quickly. Or so they say.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. RCharb

RCharb New Member

I have a quick question, does anybody know the brand of these shoes? I'm going to purchase a new pair of brown shoes soon and rather like these.

[​IMG]

3. ryanginger

ryanginger Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I understand the pure use piece, but the breathing aspect also makes sense to me. As for the car analogy, I'm sure we'd all agree that maintenance contributes to life, but would resting be considered maintenance or is it all in our heads. Perhaps a longer discussion for a different time. Cheers.

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

The jacket seems fine. Of course you'll have to have the sleeves shortened. And next time tuck your shirt in.

5. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Hello,

First time poster. I've been researching this thread and others external sources to find and answer but I haven't been able to come up with a good one.

Can someone explain to me what people mean when they refer to the "finish" of a shoe? My understanding is that that (and aesthetic style) is what separates a $350 Allen Edmonds shoe vs. a $700 Benchgrade C&J.

Thanks!

6. Gatorman177

Gatorman177 New Member

I am new to styleforum and have read some of the primer forums. I am trying to find a good suit before my medical school interviews this fall. Can someone give me suggestions on where I can buy a tailored suit in the central florida area? I live in Gainesville, FL. My budget is 400-700 dollars. One of the primer articles mentioned Brookes Brothers, eHaberdasher, and suit supply. If i wanted to order one of their suits online, how would i go about getting it tailored after that?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. bbhues

bbhues Well-Known Member

if you have time and patience, people like suitsupply in that price range (I have a suit from them and am happy with it). don't think they have a store near you but they have free shipping and returns - I think the strategy is to buy multiple sizes, keep what works, and return the others. I'm sure there are other good options - that is the one that jumps out at me.

1 person likes this.
  8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

There are lots of Suit Supply items listed in the B&S forum right now, as an FYI.

9. Xtra

Xtra Senior member

What do you think of these shoes - to be worn casually (jeans, chinos, OCBD's)? The Alfred Sargent Bannister in milkshade suede. Now at 125£.

[​IMG]

10. Gatorman177

Gatorman177 New Member

I guess that could work. The idea of paying the cash upfront for multiple suits is not very appealing though. Could I get my measurements done around here and then give them the measurements?

11. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

I'm looking for a staple slim-fit light-grey wool trousers that can be worn with odd jackets and more casual pieces alike, budget $125 (I'm willing to go on eBay or play the sales game, so the trousers themselves may be in the $200+ range.) Any idea?

12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Check out Jcrew. Its slim fit trouser are very spot on for me. Epaulet trousers retail for about 200 and they are some of the best pants I've worn. Howard Yount is great as well, but its pants is on the baggier side compared to the EP walts.

1 person likes this.
  13. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

New to the tie game since my work is business casual.

Is this tie worth 35 bucks?

http://dappered.com/2013/07/bonobos-extra-30-off-sale-items-the-picks/ (scroll down to venetian tie)

I'm looking to build a semi lean collection, so something say...less than 10 ties.

If not, can somebody steer me in the right direction. At what price point is the sweet spot to pay per tie?

14. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

I was thinking about those too! I like J.Crew's fit and affordability, but unfortunately the lightest grey they have is this.

[​IMG]
    Same problem with Epaulet.

[​IMG]

HY has the shades that I want,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but how baggy are they? I'm afraid anything baggier than J.Crew slim fit is too baggy for me :(

15. deem

deem Senior member

That could give you a better chance of getting the right size on the first try. Since your interviews aren't until the fall, you would have time to send a few back for a different size if you didn't feel like fronting the money for multiple sizes at once. Also, to answer your earlier question...If you buy one of the suits online and decide you like the look/fit, then you can take it to a tailor in your area to have final adjustments made. If you are unsure whether it is a good fit, you can post pics here and/or ask the tailor for his opinion before having alterations made.

16. Joe-Costello

Joe-Costello New Member

It

It's congnac? Colored shoe from Aldo

17. deem

deem Senior member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  18. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do you have a credit card? Buy all of the suits early in the billing cycle. Keep the one you want, send the rest back. You should never have to shell out actual cash for the suits you returned.

19. Sander

Sander Senior member

Don't know about the quality of this one, but if you're aiming for less than 10 ties, I would definitely not choose this design. I'd start with a few solid-colored grenadines, one or two knit ties, some classic reps and a few small printed florals.

20. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Dillard's.