1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

The walnut strand is more casual since it has more pop with the color. Black is a more formal color, but this shouldn't stop you from getting the color you want. Either way, I'm sure the strands will be among one of your favorite shoes like it has for many of the members on this forum.

By the way, the walnut strand is on sale right now for $229.

2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

A couple points of information: the walnut Strand is on sale at Nordstrom for the price mentioned above, not from AE direct or at one of their stores (though folks at the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread have reported that AE will match Nordstrom's price). It's on for another two weeks.

Regarding the Strand in black -- be aware that generally the more broguing a shoe has, the less formal it is... and black is the most formal of colors... and shy of opera pumps, a balmoral-laced shoe (like the Strand) is the most formal of shoes. A brogued (informal) balmoral (formal) in black (formal) can be a tricky beast to pull off. If you'd like to stick with Allen Edmonds, consider picking up the Park Avenue or perhaps the Fifth Avenue in black for a dedicated interview/funeral/wedding/black tie shoe.

I realize that a sophomore in college isn't made of dollars. That said, one pair of black shoes (depending on your eventual profession) could last you decades. As a second pair it's a good investment, especially at Nordstrom's current sale price.

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I wouldn't wear black shoes with jeans or khakis. Get the walnut Strands or Macallisters. There's no reason not to have three pairs of shoes (black, brown, walnut). You're 20 now and will be wearing shoes the rest of your life, which means you'll be needing more in time anyway. Get the walnuts now, and then eventually a pair in oxblood (or merlot, or burgundy, whichever you choose to call it). :teach:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Is a dress shirt too casual if it has black buttons compared to white buttons? Thanks.

5. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

No dress shirt should have dye injected buttons, if you're going for a decent shirt.

That's that.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Wedding at 3 PM that will go on into the evening and cocktail attire is the dress code.

I'm guessing that I cannot go with a cotton khaki suit unless I plan on changing into a different suit prior to the reception/dinner.

Will be traveling by plane and will not be checking in.

Thoughts on this and what you would do?

Thanks in advance.

7. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Senior member

[​IMG]

Can anyone identify this shirt? What do you think about this collar? I loved it at first sight, even though I reckon it's a bit unconventional.

I'm contemplating buying it (or a similar one) for casual occasions, such as a walk in the city during these warm days.

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It's an afternoon wedding. That it might continue past 6PM doesn't change that fact. Yeah, an afternoon wedding that starts at 5:30 might be thought of as an evening wedding. But not a 3PM wedding.

Wear your cotton khaki suit, if you wish. Or wear a more formal wool suit, if you like. But do not wear the cotton suit for the first part, then change into a more formal suit for the latter part. That's an example of worrying too much about what to wear.

Since the invite specifies "cocktail attire," I'd probably wear a "real" suit, and not the cotton khaki one. But that's me. If I saw someone at the wedding who was wearing a cotton khaki suit, I wouldn't automatically judge him to be an uncultured barbarian. "Cocktail attire" is one of those dress codes which takes in a lot of ground.

If you have friends and family members attending this wedding (typical, for a wedding), you might want to take your cue from them. If all of them mention to you that they're going to be wearing charcoal (or navy) suits, well, perhaps you'd be more comfortable joining the crowd. Just a thought.

1 person likes this.
  9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Pretty much this.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks for the input, especially the bolded. I think I needed someone to tell me that. I feel like I am going to feel out of place in the evening in a light colored suit, so will probably go with the dark suit for the whole day.

Thanks!

11. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Went to my tailor because I believed that my new suit sleeve length was too long and was not showing enough shirt cuffs. He showed me that it is because "modern/slim" suits have higher arm holes and makes shirt bunch up. He said there are 2 ways to fix this. First is to pull out the bunched up shirt and the second is to widen the cuffs. Will the second solution make the shirt longer? By making the cuffs wider?

12. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Only if the cuffs are too narrow.

Have you tried wearing the jacket/shirt with the cuffs open? That will give you your answer.

13. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

That's what he showed me too. When I unbuttoned the tailor looked at the length of the shirt sleeve and said it was just right and advised to make the cuffs wider. I hope that fixes this nuisance.

14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

How's the fit on Bonobos' suits compared to Jcrew's suits (ludlow)?

Are the pants usually more baggy in Bonobos?

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Bring two ties. A light blue for the daytime, and black for the evening.

16. pixart8

pixart8 New Member

Can I wear these boat shoes with blue jeans? What colors will work with these?

[​IMG]

Thanks

17. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Not really necessary, but I suppose better a change of tie than a change of suit.

Nor would I recommend a solid black tie. A silver and black Macclesfield is a classic wedding tie, of course. Although using a tie to add a splash of color to, say, a grey suit with white shirt, is not necessarily a bad choice, either.

Heck, make that light blue daytime tie a bow tie. I mean, why not? Then again, I just happen to like bow ties, particularly for daytime social events.

18. -JR-

-JR- Member

19. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Am I the only one who is allergic to linen?
    I bought my first linen cloth a year ago, and it was 85% cotton/15% linen chinos, and it itched so much that it was impossible to wear.
    I am not sure if I am really allergic, or if the fabrics were cheap. The chinos were from Patrik Ervell, though, so it shouldn't be shitty.

20. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Or don't wear a tie during the daytime. It's summer.