• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

LBC Demon

Reaction score
So I have grown tired of dressing like a teenager and am upgrading my wardrobe. I work in a labor setting so I don't need suits for work, just nicer clothes in general.

So what brands should I be on the lookout for? I like Ralph Lauren a lot and I have some Brooks Brothers stuff too. I need some shoes, pants and shirts. Thanks.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does it make a difference buying a regular fit or slim fit suit if youre gonna get it tailored in the waist anyways? Is there some other parts of the suit that tend to be more slim on the slim fit?

Slim fit will probably be smaller in the chest as well, and possible the shoulders depending on brand. Also, it's always best to get whatever is closest to the end result, as you want to minimise the amount of alteration necessary whenever possible.

likeaboss

Reaction score

aglass

Reaction score
So I have grown tired of dressing like a teenager and am upgrading my wardrobe. I work in a labor setting so I don't need suits for work, just nicer clothes in general.

So what brands should I be on the lookout for? I like Ralph Lauren a lot and I have some Brooks Brothers stuff too. I need some shoes, pants and shirts. Thanks.

Do you mean nice clothes for casual settings or for work settings? If for work, I can recommend the following:

• Higher End Shirts: Borrelli, Finamore, etc. (these will run you quite a bit of dough); Cost-efficient: TM Lewin, Brooks Brothers (wait for a sale or do their '3 for' bundles), Charles Tyrwhitt
  • Higher End Pants: Howard Yount (my personal favorites), Panta, Zanella, Mabitex, Incotex; Cost-efficient: I love Brooks Brothers Milano chinos... if you are looking for cotton instead of wool, you can definitely keep costs down. But wool is going to be pretty expensive in any case.
  • Shoes: My personal opinion is that you shouldn't skimp on your shoes. If you want them to last, make the bigger investment now (this also pertains to the rest of your wardrobe, but especially so for shoes). I think the best lower-cost but high-quality shoes are Allen Edmonds, but opinion is sort of split on them. You can try Meermin (www.meermin.es) - there is a thread devoted to them where you can learn a bit more. Obviously, stuff like John Lobb, Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, etc. are going to run you quite a bit of cash. I love Church's myself and Loake (1880 line) are also a good deal.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but I was in your shoes about 6 months ago and have learned a ton on here just reading various threads from people who know their ****. If you take your time you could do the same!

scoredtx

Reaction score
Could someone provide an explanation of the term "mainline"? As in: Pal Zileri mainline wool silk linen plaid sportcoat

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could someone provide an explanation of the term "mainline"? As in: Pal Zileri mainline wool silk linen plaid sportcoat

From what I understand it means the main line for a brand that has different lines, such as Giorgio Armani, which has Emporio Armani, Armani Exchange, etc.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainline can also mean their best line; it's a way of differentiating from lower-end lines that some companies spin off. In the case of Pal Zileri it's a bit tricky since they also have 'Pal Zileri Sartoriale', which is a premium line, but not as common as their mainline.

jmike389

Reaction score
Anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Stile Latino suits by Attolini or possibly about how they compare quality wise to ISAIA?

I've heard they use quite a bit of synthetics in their materials which makes me wonder, because at that price point I'd expect 100% wool, etc.

Thoughts?

LBC Demon

Reaction score
Do you mean nice clothes for casual settings or for work settings? If for work, I can recommend the following:

• Higher End Shirts: Borrelli, Finamore, etc. (these will run you quite a bit of dough); Cost-efficient: TM Lewin, Brooks Brothers (wait for a sale or do their '3 for' bundles), Charles Tyrwhitt
  • Higher End Pants: Howard Yount (my personal favorites), Panta, Zanella, Mabitex, Incotex; Cost-efficient: I love Brooks Brothers Milano chinos... if you are looking for cotton instead of wool, you can definitely keep costs down. But wool is going to be pretty expensive in any case.
  • Shoes: My personal opinion is that you shouldn't skimp on your shoes. If you want them to last, make the bigger investment now (this also pertains to the rest of your wardrobe, but especially so for shoes). I think the best lower-cost but high-quality shoes are Allen Edmonds, but opinion is sort of split on them. You can try Meermin (www.meermin.es) - there is a thread devoted to them where you can learn a bit more. Obviously, stuff like John Lobb, Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, etc. are going to run you quite a bit of cash. I love Church's myself and Loake (1880 line) are also a good deal.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but I was in your shoes about 6 months ago and have learned a ton on here just reading various threads from people who know their ****. If you take your time you could do the same!
Thanks. Yeah like I said I work in labor so I can't where a suit to work lol. This would all be for regular casual life no business.

likeaboss

Reaction score
Looking for a casual driver that I can wear for more than driving. Thoughts on these and recommendation on more affordable alternatives?

Basel Kudu Suede Dark Brown - $464.58
tir2o.png

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does anyone know which vendor partner is offering those suede and calf Balmoral boots being offered at a special launch price starting in September?
I can't remember who it is. It's not the Wang.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
I just got a couple shirts back from my MTM guy in LA. He had to take the sides in a bit which he did but they also put darts in them??? I thought he would just take fabric out at the sides, are darts acceptable on a MTM shirt? Thank you in advance for your thoughts...

grahamalama

Reaction score
How did I do with these two looks? As for the feet area of the suit . . . I don't have proper wingtips yet, and I'll probably do something with the hem soon.

http://imgur.com/a/XKZHI

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics