1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. robchowe

robchowe New Member

Bought a Tom Ford houndstooth sport coat two years ago (winter white and black). Have a couple of shirts that I wear with it (solid aqua, solid purple, dark medallion print, and black t-shirt). Looking for more ideas. Got any suggestions?

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Anything other than those. Light blue? White/light blue stripe, depending on the scale of the houndstooth?

3. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

Looking for a inexpensive black leather dress belt that i wouldn't be wearing on the daily
    Any recommendations?

4. 3daysuitbroker

3daysuitbroker Member

Hey Rudals! I know exactly how you feel! I would suggest looking for a suit shop that sells all types of brands, both designer and less known brands, this way you have a variety to shop from. Just because a suit isn't 3000 dollars doesn't mean it isn't high quality. Most of the time you are just paying for the name anyways. Look for a store that also does in house tailoring. This way once you find your perfect suit, you can immediately have it sized for tailoring! Most stores that do in house tailoring are cheaper too! Hope this helped!

5. Oysters

Oysters Active Member

So I spoke with Allen Edmonds the other day...

Conversation:
    But I have read several posts here that suggest Allen Edmonds does in fact use corrected grain on just a few shoes (aside from patent leather obviously) - and I'm not sure this guy knew entirely what he was talking about. So obviously the famous ones - the "representatives" of the brand if you will (ex. Park Avenue, Strand) don't use CG - but what about the lesser known models - particularly the two kiltie tassel loafers mentioned (I'm very fond of the combination)?

And as a follow-up question, anyone have any good recommendations for kiltie tassel loafers aside from those AE's (I'll consider just tassels, too)?

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I suspect some of the shoes are corrected-grain, but probably only the cheaper models, like the Ithaca. I'm not sure about the AE for Allen Edmonds either.

7. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Hey mimo,
    Am I "LUCKY" when I go to the Zegna store in No.VA? YES! I don't need a thing done to it beside the usual hemming. I do have a GREAT tailor in the same mall but I don't know he does bespoke...SUN TAILORS. Anyways, I have Zegna Torino(?) line which uses the Trofeo fabric. So now we can assume that the fit is close to perfect and that fabric is somewhat good. I am 6ft and 165lbs so I don't have trouble slipping into a 38R or 40R depending on designer. I don't have the time to go bespoke. But I also realize that I throwing money into the air when I pay $2k~$3k on a Zegna when some people here get them for less than a grand. WTF. Sigh...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Unfortunately, I have tried and tried many different brands and stores and after about a year of searching (couple years ago) I ended up buying 2 Zegnas and 2 RLBL. Both fit well and have held up very nicely, and I take good care of them. I don't have any problems with the fit. I don't get a $3k suit just because it is or because of the brand. Maybe I am a brand homer but I doubt anyone cares nor would know what brand I am wearing so I don't care. I just found a comfort zone with these two brands, that's all.

9. youngcy

youngcy Member

just heard about this John Doe Shoes.

Goodyear welted, leather lined, full grain leather for $135 shipped.

[​IMG]

http://www.johndoeshoes.com/shoes/

Seems too good to be true

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Let's see how they look in 3 years. Then we'll know.

11. bklyndoc12

bklyndoc12 Active Member

Either of these appropriate for a wedding?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Depends on the wedding, but first blush is no. Both are very informal.

13. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

+1

14. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

There are all kinds of weddings, ranging from those where shorts and a t-shirt would leave you over-dressed, to those where black tie would leave you under-dressed. And you've opted to share with us absolutely no information about the wedding in question.

But if I were to receive an invitation to an unknown couple's wedding, taking place at an undisclosed time and place, with the preferred dress left a mystery, and I had to choose between the two pictures you provided, I'd pick picture #1. Because all else being equal, the blue shirt in the first picture strikes me as being appropriate in situations extending across a wider range of levels of formality than does the shirt in picture #2. And because what looks to be a navy jacket (difficult to tell navy from black on this monitor, but I think it's navy) tends to be appropriate in situations extending across a wider range of levels of formality than does the jacket in picture #2.

Okay, now that I've taken the time to provide you with a reasonably thoughtful response to your question, how about you return the favor by telling us whether you think either of the two choices would be appropriate to wear to a wedding? And why?

1 person likes this.
  15. bklyndoc12

bklyndoc12 Active Member

I am a noob in their 20's asking a dumb question. This is my first bespoke charcoal suit. This is the 3rd wedding I've been to in my entire life. After recently discovering what it means to have a shirt that fits me, I only have a small selection that actually do. So basically I am relatively ignorant to style and to wedding formality. I agree that the blue shirt looks more formal, so that is probably the way I am going to go.

What would make the 1st choice more formal? A solid shirt? More conservative tie?

16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The tie. Ideally, to a wedding you'd wear a navy/charcoal suit, solid white shirt, and a wedding tie (e.g. shepherd check) with black shoes. If you dont have a solid white (or even solid light blue) shirt, at the least switch out the tie. The stripes or checks on both shirts however make them less formal.

Basically, the less patterns or ornamentation an item has, the more formal. Very broad guideline, of course.

1 person likes this.
  17. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You have a bespoke suit but not a plain white or light blue shirt?

18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It wasn't a dumb question; you just didn't include along with it sufficient background information to permit a meaningful response.

It was like posting to a gourmet dining forum, and asking which restaurant to visit for dinner that night, without mentioning budget, or food preferences, or where you're located.

If you've been invited to a wedding, there's an excellent chance that there's something in the invitation regarding how you should dress. Maybe it says something like "Black Tie Optional," or "Black Tie Preferred," or "Cocktail Attire," or something like that. Or perhaps the place and time specified in the invitation give a clue as to how you should dress - typically, a daytime wedding on the beach will call for less formal dress than will a nighttime wedding at a castle.

Of course, if you're being invited to a wedding, it's likely you have a friend or family member who is a member of the wedding party. Simply picking up the phone, and explaining to this person that you've been invited to the wedding and you were wondering what the dress code is, would be a straight forward way of figuring out what to wear.

A solid white shirt would formal it up a bit, sure. So would a more conservative tie. But at this point you still don't know whether you want to go more formal. Maybe you ought to be going less formal. Maybe you should be planning on acquiring a tuxedo.

Until you discover how you're supposed to dress for this wedding, nobody can advise you on what (if anything) to change about your shirt and tie.

Seriously, the Mother of the Bride (or the Maid of Honor, or the bride, herself) will almost never get angry with an invited guest giving her a call several weeks before the wedding, and asking "What's the dress code for the wedding? I want to dress appropriately." It's not something you should feel embarrassed about asking, assuming the invitation failed to make it clear.

If you ask, and you simply can't get a straight answer out of the person, then wear your charcoal suit, a white shirt, and a wedding tie such as aravenel described. On the theory that when it doubt when it comes to weddings, it's better to err on the more traditional, conservative, conventional side, than to err on the more informal and unusual side.

And if you own a bespoke charcoal suit, you ought to own a white dress shirt (or ten). In much the same way that someone who owns a Patek Philippe wristwatch might typically be assumed to know how to tell time. :)

19. Jwatkins

Jwatkins New Member

20. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

^ I love eBay and get most everything there. Saves me so much time. :teach: