1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. UTfootball747

UTfootball747 Well-Known Member

Longtime lurker; just started posting yesterday.

I'm looking for a fairly low-priced, lightweight wool suit. I'd consider spending more than $500, but probably not much more unless one really wins me over (I'm a government attorney with a lot of student loan debt). The two suits that I currently have in my rotation are Abboud (I think I found them both on Gilt or something), but I feel like I need something a tad bit lighter for the Texas summer.

I'm stuck on labels, however. Is there by chance any amount of consensus around these parts on who makes a superior, lower-priced suit? This week I'm looking at the Nordstrom's anniversary sale, and I've just begun checking out eBay. I was looking at Boss; until I came across a thread here claiming that Boss is generally viewed as overpriced (and there do seem to be similarly priced suits that are made in the U.S., although I'm not sure this matters). Could someone give me a few quick ideas, or perhaps point me in the direction of a pertinent thread I might have missed?

(and I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question for this thread)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

clothesforuttertwats.com

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

BB offers a very lightweight fully canvassed BrooksCool suit which can be bought on sale for less than $500. These are a wool blend (very small percentage synthetic) and are made in China. Not all BrooksCool is as lightweight as these. Look for the "Full Canvas" label on the inside.

1 person likes this.
  4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You can find it at beltsthataretwofeettoolong.com.

5. UTfootball747

Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea if the brick & mortars have a better selection of sizes than the website?

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

More often, it's just the opposite. Although exceptions do exist, of course.

I doubt whether there are all that many Brooks Bros. stores near you; why not simply pick up the phone, call them, and ask if they have what you want in the size you want? Seems a more sensible approach than asking us to speculate about your local store's selection of sizes.

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I grabbed 2 of these a few months ago when they were 2 for $799 or $899 or something like that. The stores had a horrible selection, especially in the Regent cut. I went to the Madison Ave flagship, and the only thing they had in Regent was 2 of the same suit, both not in my size. I ended up at a different BB and tried on a Regent cut just for size, and ended up ordering the colors I wanted. They had a difficult time tracking them down.

1 person likes this.
  8. UTfootball747

True, there's only one here in Austin. It was more of a general question regarding store availability vs. the website (some stores, for example, will show product availability on the website if its available anywhere at any store, others sometimes have more in store than what is available for purchase online).

Calling is a good idea though, thanks.

9. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Zegna has the summer collection and the autumn collection. Does it really freaking matter if I wear the summer collection in the winter or the autumn collection in 100 degrees in the summer????

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

The differences between a designer's "seasons" are varied. For some it's completely different silhouettes, details or designs. For others it's differences in colors or materials. It really depends on the designer. However, I doubt you'll be wanting to wear a 5-guage black cashmere sweater or 18oz flannel suit in July, just as you likely won't be reaching for linen pants or bright red driving moccasins in February.

If you like the clothes and they fit your needs and surroundings, then wear whatever the hell you want. Seasonal wear is largely a way for trendy brands to introduce new items, but usually designs only vary slightly and, especially in classic menswear, won't reinvent the wheel. Know which fabrics and colors suit which environments and situations. After that it's largely preference.

2 people like this.
  11. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

12. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

13. TJMAC

TJMAC Well-Known Member

I was just gifted a 44R Mani Tux. However, I wear a 42R. Could a good tailor alter it to fit? I won't mind paying $$$ to get it done since I didn't have to pay for the tux to begin with. Just wanted to see if its worth the effort.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

If the shoulders and chest don't fit, it's going to be very hard to make it look right.

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

True True, very hard to do. You should instead mail it to me who is a perfect 44R [​IMG]

16. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

I am looking for a new suit and as much as I want to just blow $3k on a Zegna, all I see all over SF is bespoke or buy it for $800 or something. If bespoke where do I start? Arggggg!!!!!!!!

17. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

New cotton/linen blend sportcoat.

I know there is debate here about how long SC can be so just looking for opinions on how this looks. It is about 2.5-3 inches shorter than my suits and about 1 inch shorter than a similar jacket I have. Botton of collar it is 29 inches and I am 6'1

Am I pulling this off?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mountainstyle

mountainstyle Member

@sean anon, in the third picture, the length seems to not quite cover your rear which is what I've always heard is the minimum length. In the first and second pictures, the sleeves come down almost to the bottom of the jacket and they look a little on the short side to me, but then again I'm not expert by any measure.

So, personally, I would say that sc is too short and it needs that extra inch at least.

P.S. nice shoes.

19. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Thanks

The issue is this is the current fashion is short jackets so this is what is out there.

I am OK with this to some extent for a casual sportcoat like this but this may be too much. Also, I need my investments to last many years and fashions change

20. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

This jacket seems very short to me, about 2 1/2" too short. If the jackets you are purchasing are too trendy for you , perhaps you should look for a different brand. Or see if they make the same jacket in a L length.