• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

firubi

Reaction score
Any idea of where to get one like this?

The pic is from the Pitti Uomo GQ shots taken in Florence (I think so).

May be it is bespoke but could be any of you know something about this SC (shooting jacket)

I have been looking for it but no luck, any clue about where to find one???

Thanks in advance

karamello

Reaction score

Thoughts/suggestions/advice on this combination?
I originally had a white shirt but it was too schoolboy-ish.

I know, it's a bad photo.

MarshMan114

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked here.

It looks like people would rather purchase 5 or 10 or 20 different types of suits before they even considered buying a black suit. So my question is, when is it correct to wear a black suit? Are there any situations where is may not be preferred (over charcoal or something similar), but still acceptable?

Marsh

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is preferred for funerals. It can also be acceptable for evening/club wear. I was interviewing job applicants recently though, and 8 out of 10 of the men wore black suits. Didn't hire any of them. :marchal: Not for that reason though. :happy:

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I'm typically a 39L or 40L in jackets and need to get the sleeves shortened by about an inch on average, is there any way to fit into a 40R and have the sleeves lengthened? Too vague of a question?
I own a few BB Fitz jackets which fit me the traditional way in length.
I have my eye on some 40R Samuelsohn's that I can get at a great price but it's online w/ no refunds.
I've been trying to find a store around me that would carry one so I can see how the length of the jacket is, but no luck yet. Anyone have any idea if it's a futile effort? I wouldn't mind if the jackets was slightly shorter but I don't want it to look ultra trendy like a Brooks Black Fleece jacket.

If a Long fits you well, a Regular would generally be too short. Were measurements provided?

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If a Long fits you well, a Regular would generally be too short. Were measurements provided?

Sleeves are 25.5 (The BB Fitz I bought started at 26.5 and got shortened so I think I'm ok so far ...)

Jacket length was stated as 30.5

I tried to find the measurements for the Fitz online and couldn't find this part.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you measure the Fitz yourself? If they are 30.5 from BOC (bottom of the collar), I highly doubt that the Samuelsohns will fit you.

jbernard

Reaction score
Anybody have suggestions?

If it were me I would get the sleeves shortened just a little bit. And get it tapered a little bit more. Other than that it seems like a good fit. I would suggest getting it pressed or steam it before you go to the tailor. The sleeves will be worth it as it's a pretty cheap alteration with the non-working cuffs. The tapering would probably be more expensive.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why don't you measure the Fitz yourself? If they are 30.5 from BOC (bottom of the collar), I highly doubt that the Samuelsohns will fit you.

Yeah, I will tonight once I get a tape measure and leave work. I saw a 40L in the B&S forum listed as 32.25" in length so I'm sure that you're correct and it won't fit.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will tonight once I get a tape measure and leave work. I saw a 40L in the B&S forum listed as 32.25" in length so I'm sure that you're correct and it won't fit.
It's not just the length that is the issue. I'm barely a long and have tried to fit into some R's to see how they fit. The length of the jacket and the sleeves are one issue, but I find the biggest issue for me is that the buttoning point ends up too high and the jacket's fit looks off. This is what I would be wary about in buying on-line.

TheSuit

Reaction score
Would Saphire Creme Pommadier dark brown be a good match (color wise) for a pair of C&J Hallam dark brown burnished calf?

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not just the length that is the issue.  I'm barely a long and have tried to fit into some R's to see how they fit.  The length of the jacket and the sleeves are one issue, but I find the biggest issue for me is that the buttoning point ends up too high and the jacket's fit looks off.  This is what I would be wary about in buying on-line.

Makes perfect sense. I think it was seeing a few great deals out there that clouded my judgment and made me want to find any way possible that it could fit. Thanks for the responses.

Essential

Reaction score
I'm getting a MTM shirt at LS Men's Clothing which is know for making "American" cut suits.

Since it's MTM should I have to worry about getting an American cut or will it be slim enough to contour to my body?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads