1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Can't go wrong with a white shirt and a navy grenadine tie. Since it's summer, you may go with a lighter blue, but either should be fine. You might get accused of dressing a bit boring, but I tend to think that guests at a wedding shouldn't call too much attention to themselves.

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Pale pink shirt with button down collar. Blue bow tie with white dots (Churchill dot). Yeah, some people don't believe that button down collars should be worn with suits, but even many of those who accept such a rule make an exception for bow ties.

There. That's a pretty arbitrary couple of choices, but since precisely 11.3 gazillion shirt/tie combos would work perfectly well with a medium grey suit, and "summer wedding" could be anything from a casual dress outdoor occasion in the park on the Oregon coast, to an evening thing at a European cathedral, I took a shot.

A clean, pressed, properly fitting grey suit will leave you looking better than the vast majority of men in most settings. Moreover, if the suit fits you, you'll not simply look better than most of the other men around you, you'll likely feel better, too. And that shows in various subtle ways. So don't worry about the suckfulness of the suit. (Besides, the suit doesn't look obviously egregious to me, not that the accompanying photo would necessarily show its faults.)

3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I think you should order a 38S or 38R and see how you like it from suit supply. Exchanging and returns are free.

All it costs is time.

4. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Just got my Beige Havana blazer today from them.

1 person likes this.
  5. facet

facet Senior member

I was looking at that one as well; would you mind posting pic with it on?

6. IkeH

IkeH New Member

Hello, Im new here and quite glad Ive found these boards. Ive been a bit in the dark when it comes to dressing properly. Now im getting older and starting to appreciate the fine fabrics. I will more than likely lurk more than post here, but glad I know of some place to come for help.

My question is, I have a wedding to go to this weekend. And Ive done things a bit backwards. Ive purchased a nice pair of basic brown wingtips (on sale). But I havent a clue of where to go from there? Grey? Navy? Khaki? Its summer so I think I should stay away from the darks.

My basic line of thinking was grey pants, brown shoes belt to match, and no clue what to put on top....? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

7. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Absolutely. I'll try to post fit picks and and a review of it by the weekend. I can do it here if you'd like.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Probably do it in the SS thread and just link to your post here.

9. facet

facet Senior member

Cool, I think posting it in the SS thread would be fine, as mrjester suggested, as I follow that thread as well.

Cheers and thanks very much

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. E TF

E TF Senior member

I would always wear a suit to a wedding unless you've been specifically told something else in the dress code. Navy or grey suit both go with brown shoes ok generally (though I'd wear black), depending on the exact shades to some extent.

11. docka

docka Senior member

After navy and charcoal, what's a good conservative color for a suit? a lighter shade of navy or a lighter shade of charcoal? Thanks.

12. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

What the heck is the best knot for a Kiton?! Compared to Brioni (very durable) and Charvet (delicate), the knot just doesn't come out right. I use the four-in-hand knot but for Kiton the knot comes out too small. What the heck? Should I go half windsor?

13. francoamerican

francoamerican Senior member

lighter charcoal or mid grey

14. asturiano

asturiano Senior member

based on the pictures can anyone figure how old these shoes are? Any idea about the last? This is not a familiar one.

Many thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Rudals: my middle way is a Shelby/Pratt knot. A nice even triangle like a windsor, but quick, flat under the collar --and doesn't shorten your tie so much.

[​IMG]

Asturiano: they're certainly a very old-fashioned shape. I'm no C&J expert, but can't help wondering if they're real. Either way they're terribly ugly, don't buy them.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I agree with what's being said on here, though, given that its summer, a lilac or pink tie could work great with a light blue shirt. Pastel colors are usually embraced during the summer. As said here, if you want to go with the more conservative option, a navy grenadine tie with a white shirt should work just fine. Please feel free to visit my blog where I recent published an article on dressing for summer weddings, and where you can also find posts related to matching ties with your suits and shirts.

http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com

17. ChiLudlow

ChiLudlow Member

18. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Thanks! I will give that a try.

19. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

If that shirt isn't from Calvin Klein, then it sure looks like a Calvin Klein shirt.

20. shoppingshzhang

shoppingshzhang Senior member

Italian clothing websites?
    I tried the italian ebay site but didn't get too much luck. Any other place I can browse for italian clothings?
    Thanks