• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

adamt

Reaction score
I have just bought this cotton navy Harrington cotton jacket:

My question is. what should i Not wear ( +colours to avoid) with this Navy jacket?
Are Creme cargos, denim jeans, black chinos all suitable? all with dark brown boat shoes

- i've noticed this harrington jacket is quite baggy around the midriff/stomach area,
is this the style? as i might tailor it so its tighter in the stomach region and less baggy

Also on a different note, i just bought this long sleeve checked shirt:

And am i right in thinking i shouldnt tuck this into the jeans or chinos/cargos im wearing (with a belt)
As from the pictures i've seen online, they all seem to not be tucked in / freely hanging down
What is best for these style checked shirts, tucked in, or not?
Also , what bottoms are most suitable?

Thanks for all opinions

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a total noob question, but I get different answers everywhere I ask so I'm going to ask the people who know. When wearing a white (dress) shirt, what is the rule for undershirts? Some say no undershirts because you can see the sleeves of the undershirt if one is not wearing a jacket. Some say to avoid this by either, not wearing an undershirt at all, or wearing a sleeveless shirt. Some say having the sleeves visible is just part of the look. Who is right?

If you sweat a lot, definitely wear an undershirt. Seeing the outline of the sleeves through your white shirt is miles better than pit stains.

If you are looking for something invisible, check out this undershirt: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=071299
Get the color that best matches your skin tone, and it will be almost if not entirely invisible.

Last edited:

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you 36R (suit size) guys:

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

GrensonMan

Reaction score
Gentleman, I need your help. The Allen Edmond Fifth St boot has caught my eye. I was in the market for an oxford shoe in burnished calf or Walnut when I stumbled across the Fifth St. Currently I already have a derby boot that works well enough for dress and casual (it is black) but I lack a suitable oxford dress show. Do you think I would be better suited to get a dress shoe for now since I already have a pair of boots or say to hell with it and get the Fifth St?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just bought this cotton navy Harrington cotton jacket:

My question is. what should i Not wear ( +colours to avoid) with this Navy jacket?
Are Creme cargos, denim jeans, black chinos all suitable? all with dark brown boat shoes

- i've noticed this harrington jacket is quite baggy around the midriff/stomach area,
is this the style? as i might tailor it so its tighter in the stomach region and less baggy

Also on a different note, i just bought this long sleeve checked shirt:

And am i right in thinking i shouldnt tuck this into the jeans or chinos/cargos im wearing (with a belt)
As from the pictures i've seen online, they all seem to not be tucked in / freely hanging down
What is best for these style checked shirts, tucked in, or not?
Also , what bottoms are most suitable?

Thanks for all opinions
I don'ut usually tuck in checked shirt, because they are usually not made for tucking in. The distance between the last button and the hem isn't long enough to tucked in. If you look at dress shirts and casual shirt (like yours) you can see the difference on the length from the last button to the hem

Paisan

Reaction score
If you sweat a lot, definitely wear an undershirt. Seeing the outline of the sleeves through your white shirt is miles better than pit stains.

If you are looking for something invisible, check out this undershirt: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=071299
Get the color that best matches your skin tone, and it will be almost if not entirely invisible.
Clever. I'll look into it. It's over 100 degrees here everyday, so yeah, people sweat.
Someone can surely give you a better answer, but I'll say personal preference. If I am going to sweat through it (i.e. giving presentations), I'll go with a v-neck undershirt. I'll still wear wife beaters on more relaxing days. Showing sleeves really doesn't bother me but showing a crewneck looks terrible.
I was simply concerned with the sleeves. I will be wearing a tie so it's no big deal on the collar, but I agree that the visible crew neck and shirt combo isn't a flattering one.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Evening all,

I'd appreciate some suit advice, primarily regarding colour.
I own one charcoal suit, for sombre occasions etc. (and a dinner suit, but that is neither here, nor there). I never wear suits at work (Navy, so always in uniform). Thus, any time I would wear suits the occasion will be social, so I don't need to strictly adhere to business demands. I don't want something trendy and soon to be out of date. I prefer to stick to very traditional styles, as I feel they always look refined and respectable.

Good man. You've come to the right place, then.

What colour would you suggest for a single breasted (very possibly three piece) suit? I'm looking at a shade of grey (no pattern), not too light, and not too flat. This for instance appeals to my eye, but I welcome divergent views.

Navy or midnight blue are traditional colors for after-work suits. The medium-to-dark gray suit to which you linked is not a bad choice and would have more versatility for daytime events than a midnight blue suit.

Also, any particular criticisms of a ventless italian styled suit?

They are somewhat more trendy and less functional than a double-vented jacket. Much better than a single-vented jacket, though.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentleman, I need your help. The Allen Edmond Fifth St boot has caught my eye. I was in the market for an oxford shoe in burnished calf or Walnut when I stumbled across the Fifth St. Currently I already have a derby boot that works well enough for dress and casual (it is black) but I lack a suitable oxford dress show. Do you think I would be better suited to get a dress shoe for now since I already have a pair of boots or say to hell with it and get the Fifth St? 

It really depends on the context in which you will be wearing the boots. Even though boots were originally more formal, they are considered less formal now and might raise eyebrows in the most conservative of business environments. Personally, I prefer boots and can wear them 99% of the time, so given the choice, I would get the boots.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone link me to Vox's thread about coordinating your outfit?

Perth Ubar

Reaction score
Greetings all.

As a newbie in all things style I need some help. I read that after I shave I need to use an aftershave (also a newbie in shaving at 42 years). Does the aftershave have to be the same brand as my cologne? And wouldn't having aftershave/deodorant/cologne be way over the top and overpower each other? And what deodorant is good? Is the stuff from the supermarket suitable or, again, do I match it with a cologne? And what about powders (talcs etc) do I need that too? I ought some aftershave from the supermarket (Imperial Leather) but even my untrained nose can tell it isn't the full chop, so some ideas please.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Greetings all.

As a newbie in all things style I need some help. I read that after I shave I need to use an aftershave (also a newbie in shaving at 42 years). Does the aftershave have to be the same brand as my cologne? And wouldn't having aftershave/deodorant/cologne  be way over the top and overpower each other? And what deodorant is good? Is the stuff from the supermarket suitable or, again, do I match it with a cologne? And what about powders (talcs etc) do I need that too? I ought some aftershave from the supermarket (Imperial Leather) but even my untrained nose can tell it isn't the full chop, so some ideas please.

you don't need to buy the same brand aftershave as your cream.

aftershave will reduce infections from any cuts, moisturize skin, and add a scent - those 3 reasons are the most important.

The rest is all your preference, I recommend using a mole hair brush with a little cream mixed. Use hot water to loosen your beard and open your pores. apply the cream well and wait a moment. then shave with a safety razor very lightly, use it's weight to make the cut. I have thick hair so i swipe and clean short amounts of the stubble off at a time. Don't rub your face with a towel, gently pat it and do the same after when you apply the aftershave

Sabatelli

Reaction score
Dear Experts,

I recently bought two Corneliani Cerimonia suits, beautiful black pinstripes with peak lapels.
Upon arriving, I was a bit puzzled:

.)A tag inside says "Nitor Taranto" aswell with "Corneliani" - I can't find anything about this and haven't seen it before?
.)The tag on the sleeve is in grey colors (aswell as inside) instead of black and the sleeves feature five buttons (like on the "trend" line)?
.)The pinch test for canvassing would suggest that this is a glued suit - and oddly I am not able to softly tear the inlay from the thicker (in)side?

As the price ($650 in sale) and the sales persons opinion would suggest is that it is on par with the mainline - but it is really? For a gluejob it is too much I guess.

I'm all confused - could you help out please?

stupendous

Reaction score
Quick question:

-all things considered - style, price, durability, quality of leather and construction, cachet, desirability, etc.....which one to choose?

1.Church's custom grade Charles II, from their Royals line, in 002 last?
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=4&shoeid=3980

or

2.Carmina 922c in the Rain last?
http://www.carminashoemaker.com/web/hom/coleccion_modelo.php?lang=eng&dist=h&id_col=17&id_mod=57

I am looking to purchase either in black.

Thanks in advance!
Hi posted this a few days ago.....any opinions please?

thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads