1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Paxxil

Paxxil Member

[​IMG]

What color/pattern would this be considered?
    [​IMG]

2. mimo

mimo Senior member

W: don't do it. It is a good price, but don't by shoes that don't fit. It's someone else's lucky day, and they're not that expensive anyway.

P: I'd call that a very small gunclub check.

3. wojt

wojt Senior member

:/ thanks for the advice, I've been through some foot ache lately and perhaps you're right...
    damn it, is me or buying good shoes is super hard

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. mimo

mimo Senior member

The problem I have, and maybe you too it seems, is finding sufficient variety locally to try on. There's no substitute for wearing stuff. But once you know some lasts that fit you well from particular makers, you're set for a good choice by mail order. As it is, dealing with good vendors is worthwhile because you can ask questions, return stuff and work together to find things that are right for you. It's worth the initial effort.

I've found www.herringshoes.co.uk and www.pediwear.co.uk very good to deal with, and their websites make it very easy to search in your size (and for sale items in your size!). Affiliate vendors here like Bespoke England, Skoaktiebolaget and The Armoury have a really good reputation on the forum for service. What they all have in common is small, self-run businesses that have to invest in happy customers by giving some time and effort. If you're buying from Yoox or wherever, you might occasionally get a bargain, but mostly not, and prepare for frustration (and dishonest "tax charges" by the way!).

(But what size and last are those boots? You can pick them up for me if they're a 9.5 on the 026 or similar...!)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. wojt

wojt Senior member

They were 8 and I'm 8,5-9, mostly 9 since most shoes are not wide enough at smaller size
    I'll check them out thanks, problem is that I don't have that much money to spare atm and the availability
    of goodyear welted shoes in Poland is very small.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

I understand. Indian made Loakes start at about $150, and I have one pair myself that I like very much. Pediwear has a good selection, and often throw in extras like free trees or a tie. Herring have some too, and also some of their own lines that are made by Loake's Indian factory for the same price.

7. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Just took two sport coats to the tailor to get some waist supression. The tailor marked chalk on the "rear/side" seams, that run along the sides of the back that run up from the double vents. \

Is that right? Or should I call them and tel them to change it? I thought waist supression was supposed to be taken in on the sides, not the rear/side area.. (Middle picture, that seam).

[​IMG]

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Wondering how many seams your jackets have...

9. michaelyork

michaelyork Senior member

In suit pants, they put a piece of tape in the pockets. It's like burlap or like the material the bags that onions come in the grocery store are made of. Does anyone know what this is for?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I don't remember, asked the KW crew (since it's a KW sport coat). I also posted some pics in the tailor fit/feedback.. here they are for this thread too. You probably still need to know how many seams.
    [​IMG]
    This is my jacket. Asked for .5" but he marked more like 1.25"

This is another dudes jacket, just marked it to show the seams he marked.
    [​IMG]

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Right, and doesn't the only other seam go right through your pocket? Seems to me he's marked the right one for a small adjustment.

Doesn't look like it needs to be any smaller to me, but I'll defer to the tailors. I'd also suggest you always "model" with a shirt, tie and proper trousers, to get a better idea how it's fitting. Unless you normally wear it with your car-repair attire. ;)

12. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

You're probably right. I just wasn't sure if they would adjust the pocket one or not.

I feel like calling them and telling them to just do .5" total or something. They said "We can't do much" then the old foreign fellow marked quite a bit more. He didn't even put pins in, just pinched and marked. I would have asked for pins but we got in an argument about keeping the pick stitching or not. He said, "Really? It's a pain in the ass, dude.." and we were discussing it for a while that I just took the jacket off without thinking to ask them to put the pins in.

edit:Just called and asked them to change it to .25" on each seam, they complied. Cool cool.

13. GarudaAntares

GarudaAntares New Member

multi purple shirt (vertical striped) and charcoal grey jacket matches with what handkerchief?

AI have a schoolmate's wedding to go to on Saturday and I have no idea what kind of handkerchief with go well with my charcoal jacket and purple shirt.

Any suggestions?

14. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

The answer to all such questions.

Crisp. White. Linen.

Also, if your jacket is a solid plain charcoal, then you probably want to be wearing the matching trousers.

1 person likes this.
  15. docka

docka Senior member

I bought a dry clean only item but there's a strong pesticide smell in the cloth. Is there any other way to clean it without sending it to the dry cleanings? I'm hesitant to send them over to the dry cleaner since it's gonna deteriorate the quality of the garment.

16. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

if its a real pesticide then clean it?
    if its just a strong smell let it air out for a week or 2?

17. docka

docka Senior member

It's just that strong odor that you would smell if you were to visit a garment factory. I don't know if it's "real pesticide", but i'll been airing it out for 2-weeks without no avail.

18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Excessive dry cleaning can be detrimental to a garment. It's good that people have begun to understand this.

But when this understanding gives rise to an unreasonable and exaggerated fear of subjecting clothing to any dry cleaning, it stops being a good thing. Infrequent dry cleaning, particularly when done properly, by a quality cleaner, is not some horrible thing which must be avoided at all costs. To adopt such an attitude is as bad, in its own way, as being blind to the consequences of unnecessary dry cleaning.

You have a garment which is in need of cleaning. It is dry clean only. So have it dry cleaned.

(Excessive consumption of cake is detrimental to my health. This does not mean that if I attend one or two birthday parties a year, and have a few bites of birthday cake, that I am doomed to suffer obesity and diabetes. Not all behaviors which are ill advised when done to excess are necessarily cause for much concern when engaged in in great moderation.)

19. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Hi guys!

So, I just received my sports coat from Suit Supply, which also is my first sport coat ever. I'm just 18, so I have a long way to go.
    I know that I need to shorten my sleeves, but not how much. I am also not sure about the length, is the jacket too long? Is there anything else I need to fix, or should I return the jacket because it's too big?

Thanks!

(I copied this from the tailor fit & feedback thread, because I'm in a hurry)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. bobjones

bobjones New Member

I found this brooks brothers v-nevk pull-over the other day. Does anyone know if these designer samples are worth anything? Thanks for looking. Cheers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]