• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JakeGittes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeGittes

Can a suit jacket be successfully converted to a waistcoat? I mean, can it be dissasembled and pieces of it be taken for the front part of a waiscoat, to which would be added the appropriate material for the back panel?

Thanks!

I've never heard of it being done. I would think that the jacket's breast pocket would be an obstacle in converting it to a vest.

I had thought of that, but I think it could be solved by having the waistcoat (vest) made with breast pockets, too.

The fact is that I have two let's say identical suit jackets (long story, but related to a failed online MTM comission, where they so messed up the original specifications that they sent me another one... and failed to do it right, nonetheless, although the second one is wearable after some alteration). So I am considering turning the first jacket into a waiscoat, and have a 3-p suit.

Would that be feasible?

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fact is that I have two let's say identical suit jackets (long story, but related to a failed online MTM comission, where they so messed up the original specifications that they sent me another one... and failed to do it right, nonetheless, although the second one is wearable after some alteration). So I am considering turning the first jacket into a waiscoat, and have a 3-p suit.

Would that be feasible?

Honestly, I think you would need to ask that question of whatever tailor you were considering for the job. Even if it were physically possible, I would imagine that few of them would be particularly enthusiastic about it. Frankly, unless the jacket's fabric is stunningly expensive, the amount of labor involved in salvaging the fabric from the jacket will exceed the value of the fabric.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by JakeGittes
Can a suit jacket be successfully converted to a waistcoat? I mean, can it be dissasembled and pieces of it be taken for the front part of a waiscoat, to which would be added the appropriate material for the back panel?
Thanks!
I had thought of that, but I think it could be solved by having the waistcoat (vest) made with breast pockets, too.
Would that be feasible?

The stance wouldn't be high enough, plus the buttons wouldn't line up as well as them being too big as vest buttons are smaller. Also the pockets and such just wouldn't work.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone critique the selection and fit of this outfit for a noob?  

Would there have been a better option for pants other than black?  How is the pattern matching/contrast?

Sorry for the bad fluorescent light...I tried to color correct.

There is no pink in this tie (bad cell phone image)  Shirt is white w/blue and tan check.

Frankly, the fit of your jacket and trousers is much better than that of the average noob. There is certainly lots of room for improvement in the coordination among your jacket, shirt, tie, and trousers. There are vanishingly few occasions where black odd trousers are not inferior to a number of other color choices. I would suggest that you browse through the threads I mentioned in post #16615 to see some more sophisticated combinations.

maraca2020

Reaction score
Place to buy relatively inexpensive, toned down blackwatch trousers with a modern fit? Thanks

one2rock

Reaction score
Could someone post some pictures of trench coats in "cream" color?

I would like to know if it looks good when wearing white shirts.

Thanks.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
does it make a material difference how polish/wax/cream are applied to shoes?

horsehair dauber brush, sponge applicator, or cotton rag shirt?

stupendous

Reaction score

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads