Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jbernard

jbernard Senior member

Great thanks for the information.
    And I know a lot of people on this forum say never wear a black suit. But in my area a black suit is ok to wear as long as you aren't dressed like a black tie event. i.e. brighter pink/blue shirts with a colorful tie.
    I'm also going to assume Cap toes are much more acceptable than wingtips? lol

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

You're welcome.

I suppose. I mean, I regard black suits as awful, so I can't see how wearing burgundy shoes makes a black suit meaningfully better or worse.

It's sort of like asking me whether, when wearing red boat shoes with green laces with your tuxedo, it's okay to wear argyle socks. :)

Let's just say that cap toes may be the safer choice. They may be the better choice, but even when they're not, they're seldom a wrong choice. (Notice the parallel between this guideline, and what I said about black shoes not always being the best choice, but usually being a safe choice.)

I happen to like wingtips, btw. But I also understand that there are times when I'm better off wearing cap toes.

Ultimately, a man can wear solid navy and grey suits, with black cap toe shoes, solid white or light blue shirts with point collars, a blue silk repp or dot tie tied with a four-in-hand knot, and solid colored socks in the same color as the suit, and be safely - if unremarkably - dressed for almost any situation in which a conservative suit is appropriate. He won't necessarily be exhibiting my creativity, but neither will he be making any glaring mistakes. And, the real world being what it is, assuming his clothes are clean and fit him properly, he'll likely look better than most of his fellows.

Of course, this being SF, many here aspire to something more than "unremarkable, but safe."
    --
    Michael

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    well said![​IMG]

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

not at all.

5. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

What would you wear these with? I like the look of them as a stand-alone pair of shoes, but with a suit?
    [​IMG]

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Unless Lycra now means 100%, no.

7. MS007

MS007 Senior member

I am looking for a shirt with

-thick white poplin
    -hidden placket
    -rounded collar

and cant find anything that fits the bill. Would be great if you guys helped me out.

Thanks

8. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

My suit pants bunch in the inner thigh area when sitting down, particularly if crossing my legs. Is this common or a sign I need more room in the thigh? If needing wider thigh area, is this a costly alteration? I imagine it requires the tailor to resew the entire pantleg, and the outcome could be a debacle.

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Those are pretty casual for wear with a suit both because they're bluchers and because of the more casual mixing of the brown sole with the black uppers.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Some amount of bunching is inevitable, but either pulling or an excessive amount could indicate improperly sized trousers. With respect to the seat area of trousers, there's not much more than taking in or letting out the rear seam that can be done without requiring essentially a full remake of the trousers which is expensive and requires a skilled tailor.

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

What area are you in where a black suit is acceptable?

If you want black shoes for business wear, go with cap toes. I would avoid black wingtips, especially for your first pair of black shoes.

12. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

Thought so about the suit, but still none the wiser about how to wear them. Grey trousers and open neck shirt? Or chinos?

In terms of 'bluchers', it's not a word I'd ever heard of before coming on this forum. Would the UK-equivalent be Derby? The concept of not being able to wear open-laced shoes (if that's the correct term) with suits I suspect would be lost on virtually anyone I'll ever meet in the UK. I have a pair of closed-lace black shoes for my suit, but also these:
    [​IMG]
    Are these technically a 'fail' also?

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

OK, one to bear in mind for future improvement then.

Thanks for feedback

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

unfortunately yes. without also!

the other pair is as you recognized yourself better is suited with "casual" wear. although, it depends on the suits you have and you intend to have.

good luck.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012