1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

Swap them in for white; not always but often. It pretty much always works fine. What's more, if there are no other coloured tones in your whole outfit e.g. black suit and shoes, it could save it.

Only note of caution: if you're wearing a blue suit too, then wear something non-blue - e.g. a burgundy tie. That's it, you're pretty much done.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

I gotta pick up a light blue shirt and work it into this suit. The knot issue in this old picture has been resolved.

[​IMG]

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Get a couple of ties too: something burgundy with a small pattern, and perhaps a knitted one - green, rust, something different. thetiebar.com will sort out both for about $30 I imagine, and be just fine.

2 people like this.
  4. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

Gotcha, thanks! For $15 it's a steal, and if I don't like it I can probably sell it and at least break even.

5. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

Could you give me some insight of the quality of the bag based on the photo that I posed? Is it look like a quality handmade piece? Will it last for long (at least 5 years)? I'm no expert in leather so any input will be appreciated.

6. wojt

wojt Senior member

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

It's a hundred bucks dude, take a punt. There's no telling from the pics, and hand made doesn't mean well made always! But it's worth trying for that money.

What are the measurements by the way?

Wojt: from that tiny pic? Who knows? But being a nice guy, I've found the site and the shoes and had a better look. Still don't really know, but given the other crap they sell, and that they don't give any details of construction methods, I'm guessing this is a three hundred dollar pair of plasticated turds. If you're anywhere near Warsaw, check out Jan Kielman or his less celebrated (and cheaper) neighbours.

8. wojt

wojt Senior member

Quote: This Meka line is supposedly the only one goodyear welted made in Poland. Thanks for the link, I checked the gallery guy makes pretty sweet shoes. Sadly a bit over my budget atm, but bespoke shoes must be an awesome fit. Thanks for reply mimo!

9. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

It is 14.5'' x 10'' x 3.5'', it probably gonna fit a 13 inch laptop. Well, I'm still in college so hundred bucks is not a small amount to me.

10. jamezism

jamezism Active Member

Is a plaid/madras blazer formal enough to wear to court during the summer time?

11. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I have a constant conundrum when buying suits. I'm a 40S jacket because but really only need to 40 to fit around my backside. The shoulders always look just a little more Frankenstein-ian than I'd like. If I size down to a 38S the shoulders and armpits fit perfectly for a very nice tailored look. However, the jacket pulls a little when buttoned. On either I always need to get the sleeves shortened.

So, my question to you all is do I go with the 38S and have it let out a bit seeing as the shoulders fit nicely? I've heard that sometimes when you let jackets out there's a seam that ends up showing. Or, do I get the 40S and have a tailor work some magic to get the shoulders to fit better?

Thank you for the advice.

12. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

A plaid blazer? Maybe. Some plaid blazers would be acceptable year 'round. Others would be wrong year 'round. Show me the blazer.

Madras? I wouldn't do it, myself.

But I do see plenty of people showing up for court in jeans, polo shirts, sneakers, etc. So by those standards, a madras blazer, with a nice pair of pants, buttondown shirt, and shoes, doesn't sound so bad.

It probably also matters who you are, where you are, and why you're there. A $375/hour lawyer, showing in up in federal court in NYC, to argue his client's $150 million case, is one thing. The guy who's showing up at traffic court in suburban Anytown, to offer an apology/explanation and hope for a PBJ on a charge of doing 72 on a 55mph road, is another.

And, of course, there are lots of other reasons why a person might be showing up for court. And lots of judges who have personal biases regarding what they do and don't want people to wear in their courtroom.

So that's my answer to you - It depends. Provide additional relevant background, and maybe someone will be able to give you a better answer than that.
    --
    Michael (who is willing to wear a seersucker suit and bow tie to court, but only when south of the Mason/Dixon line)

13. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

First try shopping around a little. Not all 40S suits have identical shoulders. Some - like many Jos. A. Bank suits - tend to have these massively over-built shoulders. Others don't.

I'm not saying that the alterations route is necessarily a bad move for you. Just that, if you can find a make of suit that's cut a little less generously across the shoulders, you might be able to avoid the Frankenstein thing without having to resort to alterations, which would likely be best.

14. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Menswear n00b is back. Recap: I have 2 weddings to attend, a week apart from each other. I picked up one suit (blackwatch or black, grey, and purple tartan,whatever's it's called) and will wear it for both, but will wear different shirts and ties w/ the suit.

I've decided on 2 shirts: light purple (pictured) and white. Question: what color ties would go best? I've already decided on a 'patterned' tie of some sort, but what base color would look best with this suit and purple and white shirts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is probably a no-no...but a grey tie with it? (I just threw it on to see how it looked)

[​IMG]

15. Flame

Flame Senior member

Tie bar w/o jacket? I recently got my Kent Wang clip, seems like it's a great way to keep the tie tail from dipping into unwanted places like your food or a wet sink (when washing your face).

I have no need to a jacket for work usually because Singapore is too hot for one...only needed when meeting big clients / interviews / important events. Also, I'm not going to be the idiot who is impeccably dressed but broiling alive in 34 celsius and 90% humidity weather.

16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Dont wear a tie without a jacket, it makes you look like a waiter or a child whose mommy made him get dressed up for school pictures.

1 person likes this.
  17. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

QUESTION OF THE DAY:
    "What is the general SF consensus on pants without belt loops? Most notably, RLBL suits come with such pants."

18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I don't have belt loops on any of my suits--I wear them with braces. My odd trouser do have belt loops.

1 person likes this.
  19. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Ok I know this is very un SF but would appreciate it if anyone knows how I can find more of this tie series. Afaik it's d&g about 15-20 years old. Need to replace one[​IMG]

20. JReminisce

JReminisce New Member

Hey guys, I need advice on what shoe size would fit me well

Shoe in question is Herring Hampstead (using last 026 only in width F)

I fit into Clarks DB size 9 and most of my shoes are US 10.5 (only with exception of my Converse shoes idk why it's in size UK11 ?)

I have a flat foot though.. my feet measures 4.4 inches wide and 10.77 inches long