1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cbfn

cbfn Distinguished Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

2. StudMuffin

StudMuffin New Member

I'm looking for a very specific type of shoe I have been having trouble to find. Anyone know where I can find an antiqued slip-on loafer in a tan or cognac color type? Any sites or designer suggestions would be great. Thanks

3. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Distinguished Member

4. CalTex

CalTex Distinguished Member

What is the maximum you are willing to spend? If you can push the 100 USD limit take a look at Epaulet.

5. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Distinguished Member

logikel, I do second the Epaulet Rivet Chinos.
    As I told you earlier, I do not think there are quality chinos below the price tag of Epaulet.
    At least try.
    Quality > Quantity.
    Also every pair of quality trousers will need hemming.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

6. hoit1981

hoit1981 Distinguished Member

You could also try Relwen (at Steven Alan). The RRP of $158.00 is reduced to $62.30 - (once the item is added to your cart an additional 30% is taken off).

I own a couple of their sweaters and the construction is awesome - very durable. I have no idea how these fit but they might be worth considering.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

7. CalTex

+1

But not every pair of quality trousers requires hemming, there is always the bespoke option :)

8. guest1

guest1 Member

I am seeking advice regarding body odor and button-up dress shirts. Every time I wear any type of long-sleeved button up shirt I start to notice they start smelling under the armpits after about 3-4 hours of wear. This occurs regardless of whether I am just sitting around or walking a lot. Deodorant does not seem to help. I usually wear a cotton/poly undershirt.

I only have this problem with button-up dress shirts and moisture-wicking shirts. I never have problems with any of my other shirts.

I just wish they would last all day without getting smelly. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this?

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Anti-perspirant?

10. wigglr

wigglr Distinguished Member

Maybe see a dermatologist? Do you sweat a lot? I used to then I got a prescription antiperspirant

11. guest1

guest1 Member

That's the thing--I do not sweat a lot and I do wear anti-perspirant.

12. CalTex

I do not like synthetic shirts because they make me sweat.

I use certaindri anti-perspirant and I don't have a problem anymore.

13. Sonorously

Sonorously Well-Known Member

Poly blend undershirts and dress shirts will make you sweat and the odor stronger. Switch to 100% cotton/linen fabrics.

14. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

This is your problem. They may keep you cool and dry, but they stink. The ones I have (Airism from Uniqlo) need to be washed on the gentle cycle and cannot be tumble-dried. Even after a wash, they don't smell perfect, so I use the Dryel fabric freshener spray (like febreeze).

You may want to consider buying some of this spray and using it during the day when things get stinky. Or just go back to 100% cotton undershirts.

15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Distinguished Member

So, you use an antiperspirant, not a deodorant? Because you'd formerly indicated that you used the latter, but now you're saying you use the former? Or do you use both?

I ask, as not everyone understands that a deodorant and an antiperspirant are different things (with many, but by no means all, products combining the two).

Anyway, if you're only using one, and not the other, one suggestion might be to switch to a combination product. Although I agree that the moisture-wicking undershirt could also be worth replacing. Ultimately, maybe even changing your diet could be an option (as what you eat can have a major impact on body odor). If none of this helps, seeing a doctor might make some sense.

Still, the fact that the problem exists only with button up dress shirts worn with moisture-wicking undershirts leads me to suspect that at the very least, dropping a couple of bucks on a 100% cotton undershirt would well worth a try. Along with picking up a deodorant/antiperspirant and using it. (Or picking up a different deodorant/antiperspirant from the one you currently use, if you're already using one.) Both of these tactics are inexpensive, easily accomplished, are low risk, and aren't exactly major lifestyle changes. It seems unnecessary to jump right to "see a doctor," for what sounds like a problem so relatively minor and limited in scope. Now, if you'd said that every time you wear a button up dress shirt and moisture-wicking undershirt, your blood pressure spikes, your nose bleeds, and you lose consciousness for a brief time, that'd be a different story.
    --
    Michael