1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I always thought all camo was kind of on the lame side... (to phrase it nicely since I know there's nice people here that do wear camo).

I never liked the idea of trying to style up something soldiers wear as a uniform in combat. Plus, the stuff people wear as camo is all the really lame looking stuff. Get the good looking stuff if you want to do it at all, Multicam. :)

2. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Thanks for pointing out the shirt size. I went to the store and tried on a small shirt for the first time in my life and it fit. I had lost 25 pounds but was still buying my old size I guess.

I exchanged some recent purchases for a small size and they look significantly better.

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Kill the black shirt.

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

Exactly. ;) But if it must be these, go blue.

Novelty ties in general, camouflaged anything. Yes, just don't. You're asking the Classic Menswear forum...so expect classic menswear to be the generally approved point of reference.

Not necessarily - depends on the shirt, your style, and I'd confine it to the evening. But I'm thinking Indigo would be nice. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Stumpus

Stumpus New Member

I'm curious what the opinions are on a suit under 2000. As a graduation present, I think my wife may be willing to splurge (to our standards) and I would like it to be on a high quality suit. Right now I live in New York, and as I plan on leaving the State, I'd like to take advantage of the great shops around here.

So my question is, what are the opinions on the best suit I can buy in that price range in New York City.

6. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

7. acecow

acecow Senior member

8. sanchito

sanchito Well-Known Member

9. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

I agree, its a little weird how the vamp and the toebox are essentially one continuous line, but some of the florsheim imperials seem to exhibit this effect as well (from certain angles) and those shoes are held in moderate regard and priced higher

The finish does seem to be on the lower end of the scale, but if it is full on leather, cant you strip it with reno and put down your own finish?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

They're not the most beautiful things, but two points:

1. Get over the "corrected grain" fixation. It means a lot of different things, and there's a lot of variety in leathers. Even some decent makers use what is technically "corrected" (although they'd call it "polished" as opposed to plain "calf"), often offering both options in the same shoe. Some of it can be very hard-wearing and smart, just as some more natural finishes can still be on shitty leather. If you don't like a shiny finish, or do, it's up to you.

2. These shoes cost $100. At the very worst, they will be worth it. At best, they'll feel like good value.

So, ask yourself if you want $100 shoes, and if so, if you like the look of these. You're not risking a lot if you do, they might turn out to be quite serviceable, but at the same time, they're not going to be John Lobbs in disguise.

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do you want Ready-to-Wear or Made-to-Measure? For RTW, I like Paul Stuart or Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.

12. Stumpus

Stumpus New Member

Well, I've had pretty good luck with RTW. Most of the suits I've tried on fit me well right off the rack. So RTW is fine with me. I'd like to get something that's fully canvassed.

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Yes, no. NO NO NO.

14. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

That's a lot like khaki-colored chinos with black shoes. I understand this is a well regarded combination in terms of military uniforms, but most people (not all, of course) find it somewhat unappealing outside that context.

In general, beige pants and brown shoes works great. Beige pants and shoes in one of the "wine" shades - burgundy, merlot, etc. - works fine. But beige pants and black shoes will strike many as a mistake.

Could it be done successfully? Yeah, probably. I've certainly seen worse combinations made to work, on a handful of occasions. But it's not a challenge I'd choose to tackle, if brown shoes were available. And brown shoes are common enough that they're usually available.

Honesty compels me to admit that I have worn beige pants with black horse bit loafers, a few times. The world didn't end. But just because I've done something, doesn't necessarily mean that I recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  15. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Does anyone know how I would look into how old a specific Belstaff leather jacket is?

16. ruben

ruben Senior member

anyone know the nam of this now discontinued Allen Edmonds model?

[​IMG]

17. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

18. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

What can I wear with these pants?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. azumi

azumi Senior member

I'd avoid those black shoes with such light grey pants.

1 person likes this.
  20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Not the Fifth Avenue, that one only has brogueing at the toe cap.

This is a strange beast... It's like a Strand without the medallion on the toe. Even looks like it's on the same 5 last.