1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Cotton shirts are the way to go. Synthetics like polycotton should be avoided if possible, especially if for dress work shirts. My guess is if you are in Singapore you can probably get a reasonably priced MTM cotton shirt for under 70 USD if you really look around. That will definitely be less than an off the rack high quality brand name dress shirt. Polycotton shirts are fine for going out, but ideally for work, you want to stick with cotton shirts. If you can, your better off going for Poplin or Broadcloth shirts, as these are higher quality fabrics, whereas an Oxford fabric is more for casualwear, or might go well with a jacket that is more textured like a tweed jacket.

I am not going to endorse specific brands here, but generally, you want to look for ties with woolen interlining if you are looking for high quality, well constructed ties. You should be able to find stuff in the 40-50 USD range from some boutique brands out there. The widths you have mentioned are skinny ties, whereas for work you want something along the lines of 3.25 to 3.5 inches. 3.25 inches seems to be the current trend. Also, if you are over 6'2, you are better off getting an extra-length tie which most e-commerce retailers should give you the option of buying. Standard length ties for guys under 6'2 inches are usually around 58 inches longer, and for those over the designated height, ties of 63 inches in length should be available. Remember, you always want your necktie to be able to hit your beltline, and so adequate length is needed, especially if you start experimenting with more intricate knots such as a Full Windsor which take up more fabric when tying the knot.

On my blog, I have several articles pertaining to mixing and matching colors, as you don't want to be buying ties that you later realize don't necessarily compliment whats in your existing wardrobe! These articles can be found at http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/category/color-theory/

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

1 person likes this.
  2. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

Where can someone buy calfskin online?

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

Shoulders are difficult to alter. The tailor would have to open the back seam, take off the collar, shorten the collar, take in the suit at the back seam, re-attach the collar, and a bunch of other crap.

My best advice to you, without any offense meant at all, is to sign up for the gym. In 6 months you'll be a size 36 and everything will fit you better. And you'll feel great. No one likes a bone-skinny dude even if he's dressed perfectly.

4. kushburner

kushburner Senior member

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  5. azumi

azumi Senior member

I want to pick one of those shoes for going picnic with dark blue, dark green jeans, beige khaki trousers or blue cargo trousers. I'm biassed to the red, but I'm not sure whether it matches those color of pants.
    Can you please help me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thank you for any advice.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

With the dark green or beige I'd go with blue. For the blue, maybe red. But the blue ones will be most versatile for you. They're not that nice though...get some nicer ones, in tan. :)

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Don't be ridiculous. You'll be looking at this picture for the rest of your life, so don't be a tool.

It's your graduation. By all means wear something cheerful, but "playful" will just make you look like a douche. Dress beautifully, it's the beginning of the rest of your life. This is the "Classic Menswear" forum, dude, go look at the "What are you wearing right now?" thread for some ideas on how gentlemen of style actually dress (and ignore anyone in jeans, cargo pants, or no socks as part of their "classic" ensemble - we're back to douche land). There are some really well-dressed people over there, some of them just out of college like you. You don't have to try to be "fun" by wearing a stupid tie. If you're fun, it's in your personality. But if you're dressed like a dick, your personality might well be overlooked.

1 person likes this.
  8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Do not let yourself fall into the habit of thinking that you have no opportunities to wear a tie - casually or otherwise. If you want to wear one, you can almost always find opportunities to wear one.

The two camo-type ties you mention strike me as being... well, pretty awful.

Playful is fine. But playful is best when subtle or whimsically light hearted or humorous. These ties are nothing of the sort; they're simply unappealing.

Doubtless, someone will tell you that those ties could look good, and you should wear one of them. Because no matter how terrible the idea, someone on SF will invariably suggest that it could look good.

I don't really go for playful ties in general, but I do own a few, and wear them on occasion. Not long ago, I thought about picking up this hippo tie, for instance. http://tinyurl.com/csov7ru

I would add that mimo makes a good point. I suspect that the majority of people who choose to wear something extremely playful for graduation photos, wedding photos, etc., regret their choice when looking at the photos a decade or three down the road. I'd probably suggest you go no more playful than a cotton madras tie, or a silk knit tie.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  9. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

I just bought this Harris Tweed jacket on eBay, and I have two questions:
    1. Are the lapels too wide? Sellers say they're 3" 5/8 at the widest point and this width is in style right now (of course.) I haven't received the item yet but I intend to have a tailor slim down the lapels. Would it be a good idea?
    2. The inside label says Hartford Clothes for I. Rosen Memphis. Google turned up nothing. Does anybody have any idea about this maker or the origin of the jacket?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

For affordable ties, Lands' End (with discount) are good.

11. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

No. Maybe they're wider than the current fashion for extremely narrow lapels, but they're certainly not ridiculously wide by classic menswear standards.

I wouldn't do it. I'd leave them as they are.

If for some reason I wanted narrow lapels, I'd have probably just purchased a narrow lapelled tweed jacket in the first place. That's usually cheaper and easier and yields better results than buying something else, and having it re-done to suit me. After all, it's not like tweed jackets are all that difficult to find, that one need settle.

2. The inside label says Hartford Clothes for I. Rosen Memphis. Google turned up nothing.

I googled I. Rosen Memphis, and the very first result was a link to a story from 2007, about I. Rosen going out of business after 97 years. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/nov/20/ending-a-97-year-tradition/

As for Hartford Clothes, the name doesn't ring a bell for me, but obviously they made the jacket in question. for sale by I. Rosen. If you search for something like "hartford clothes" "mens clothing" I suppose you'll come up with at least a few relevant results. What, exactly, do you want to know about them?

1 person likes this.
  12. tonguetwister

tonguetwister New Member

Hi,

Can someone give me an idea how big the boxes are in which online MTM suits are delivered? I already know for Indochino, so maybe for some other one.

I am asking because I can't have too large a box shipped to me.

Regards!

13. Munkea

Munkea New Member

Hey guys, just picked this up from an op store was wondering if you guys could help identify what collection it's from and maybe make out what the faded label means in terms of sizing. It's more navy than the pictures suggest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers for your help guys

14. Juan

Juan Well-Known Member

Light beige trousers with black shoes? is it a no-no?

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Not necessarily; just wear a black belt. Dark shirt, beige linen trousers, black monks...dinner on a warm summer evening...works for me. But browns and tans have a warmer look and complement beige tones nicely, especially in the daytime.

16. azumi

azumi Senior member

Thank you, but these shoes has no ones available in tan color.

17. Juan

Juan Well-Known Member

yes, the idea is black shoes and black shirt with light beige trousers

Thank you for your opinion!

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  18. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Anyone have any idea how to get the wrinkles, and stretches, out of my linen sports coat? Half lined, fully canvassed. I'm guessing the wrinkles with a steamer. How about the stretches though? Like on the breast pocket.

19. kushburner

kushburner Senior member

So camo tie = douche?

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Mega-douche.

1 person likes this.